Sponsored

Mounting a SUP Board on a soft top Wildtrak?

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey folks -

The only reason I was getting a hard top was because the Wildtrak that I have ordered is for my girl friend who demanded a way to carry her SUP boards. (SUP boards are Stand Up Paddle boards - like a large surf board). My understanding is that this requires a roof rack which requires a hard top.

Now that the MIC top has turned into such a disaster, and the Wildtrak is now able to be ordered with a soft top for MY22 which is what I wanted originally anyway, I am trying to figure out another solution.

Is there a way to mount/carry a SUP board to the soft top with it up or down? I have seen jeeps do this with a weird tow hook contraption or a exoskelton configuration. Not really interested in this.

Any thoughts?

Alternatively, I could wait until 2027 (lol) for the MIC top issues to be resolved or get the soft top now and buy the hard top in 2023 (i.e. 2027 - lol)
Sponsored

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey folks -

The only reason I was getting a hard top was because the Wildtrak that I have ordered is for my girl friend who demanded a way to carry her SUP boards. (SUP boards are Stand Up Paddle boards - like a large surf board). My understanding is that this requires a roof rack which requires a hard top.

Now that the MIC top has turned into such a disaster, and the Wildtrak is now able to be ordered with a soft top for MY22 which is what I wanted originally anyway, I am trying to figure out another solution.

Is there a way to mount/carry a SUP board to the soft top with it up or down? I have seen jeeps do this with a weird tow hook contraption or a exoskelton configuration. Not really interested in this.

Any thoughts?

Alternatively, I could wait until 2027 (lol) for the MIC top issues to be resolved or get the soft top now and buy the hard top in 2023 (i.e. 2027 - lol)

4WP has something similar to that exoskelton you mentioned that you have seen on Jeeps. I don't think they have it for sale yet, but you see it in the video below on their Bronco with all of their parts.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

RedDoor16

Outer Banks
First Name
Hudson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If the girlfriend is making “demands” on your bronco when you wanted a soft top all along, you could always just get a new girlfriend
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

projectrally

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 RF / Factory Five 818 / 2018 CX-5 GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If the girlfriend is making “demands” on your bronco when you wanted a soft top all along, you could always just get a new girlfriend
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Groan. Why be that guy?

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tell her to order an inflatable SUP. It’s crazy how firm they get when they’re blown up; almost feels like a rigid/hard-sided SUP. Much easier to travel with.

Just an idea.

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Tell her to order an inflatable SUP. It’s crazy how firm they get when they’re blown up; almost feels like a rigid/hard-sided SUP. Much easier to travel with.

Just an idea.
Sounds like you have experience with blow up stuff

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just an idea.
This is true. Inflatable SUPs are great. As long as you don't mind spending the time to pump them up each trip.

If she is already invested in a SUP. These are currently made for Jeeps. I imagine a version for the Bronco isn't far off.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/exposed-racks/under-soft-top-roof-rack-wrangler-unlimited-jk

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is true. Inflatable SUPs are great. As long as you don't mind spending the time to pump them up each trip.

If she is already invested in a SUP. These are currently made for Jeeps. I imagine a version for the Bronco isn't far off.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/exposed-racks/under-soft-top-roof-rack-wrangler-unlimited-jk
You can also get attachments for an electric pump that’ll lock into the SUP to blow them up. Very easy to do. Using a manual pump is a pain for sure.

projectrally

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 RF / Factory Five 818 / 2018 CX-5 GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 4WP rack looks ideal for your needs and mine. I want to be able to carry a canoe. I hope they put it into production soon and at a reasonable price.

Sponsored
OP
OP
subshooter

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank youThese look like good solutions but appear still in development stages.
The 4WP rack looks ideal for your needs and mine. I want to be able to carry a canoe. I hope they put it into production soon and at a reasonable price.
Thank you and to everyone else who responded. Since I have a 2.7L., Lux, Tow, Leather, Squatch, I am going to be screwed either way. I think the hardtops are going to be fixed long before I get my Bronco......maybe 2027? So I might as well wait. I have four other cars anyway. :) But I am really looking forward to the Bronco.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If the weather is good enough to surf just put the top down and a couple towels on the window frame and rear roll bar. You got tie downs in the back and should be able to sort something out up front to strap it. Keep it simple while you got the soft top. Long term I dont think the soft top would live with the board on top of it. Maybe get a cheap bikini top and you wouldnt care about wearing a hole in it. You could build a big exocage or buy a really weak one but neither would be great.

Rus-T

Black Diamond
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just use pool noodles on the front and back with one strap till something better is released.

D5FEA3A4-8E91-4969-AE3A-55CCFFE5859D.jpeg

BC765C07-913F-476D-AEA4-C2BFE50D53AB.jpeg

TBroncski

Outer Banks
First Name
Tybor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks