Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

In 2008 this wasnā€™t true for the Wrangler anyway. Now it is, autos and dual clutches have come a long way.

I know I am a dinosaur. I was against ABS until it saved me from an accident on a snow covered icy bridge.

But I watch my son let his Subaru control how fast he is going with adaptive cruise control and lane corrections and all manner of things, and shake my head.

For me driving is fun and a way to escape.

It all is what it is I guess.

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sadly the transmission was second on my list when I was looking for info and dug this up, and the first item still remains elusive. No details from Dana / Spicer on the Advantek gear intended for Ford / Bronco yet.
At this point it seems to be pointless to hope for. If we want that, plan to a add a few thousand to the overall cost of the bronco and hope it doesn't mess up your warranty. Definitely things I will consider when cross shopping with Jeep.

Sponsored

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can't build a turbo motor to produce predictable low end or torque values as high, the 2.3 torque curve is vertical from 2500 to 3000, try to control that on a slippery surface.
Dear God people, please stop feeding this stupid troll.

eatworksleepdie

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Renegade, 20' Wrangler, 92' VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I will drive is Manual. The only way I'll switch is by getting a 500-600empg electric car, so that's not happening anytime soon (affordably). When I heard rumors the Bronco might come with a manual is when I signed up for this forum and have been eyeing the Bronco ever since! Next year is perfect timing to drop some coin on a new car too! I don't really care which engine it comes with, as long as I get 3 pedals.

Roughrider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, 2018 Goldwing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Iā€™m planning on a manual as well. The new autos with the 10 speeds with all the skip-a-gear and other features worry me. Thereā€™s a good chance this will be my last ICE vehicle and I plan on keeping it for a long time. Odds are in 7-10 years, thereā€™ll be a viable and affordable BEV or hydrogen or ??

Does anyone here have any experience with Fordā€™s 10 speed auto? I googled it for problems, and of course there were lots of issues and complaints. But thatā€™s what I searched for, so thatā€™s what I found. I found a few videos on YouTube and it has me more convinced to stick with a manual. I could be wrong...maybe theyā€™re good, with higher towing capacity(not an issue for me) and better fuel economy than the manual.

Are the 10 speed autos a good transmission?

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m planning on a manual as well. The new autos with the 10 speeds with all the skip-a-gear and other features worry me. ...
Are the 10 speed autos a good transmission?
Ford puts it's new 10sp auto in everything, literally millions a year. If there was any kind of standard/universal problem there would be no hiding it.

Hopefully this new modular MTI550 finds its way into a few models too. It has the same general potential as a 10R80 (the 1/2t truck auto version).

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The fact that I've heard so many good things about the 10-speed auto is keeping me firmly on the fence for the auto vs manual choice. I'll definitely have to drive both and take a deep look at the specs.

Sponsored

Roughrider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, 2018 Goldwing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Iā€™ve also heard of people with a lot of the new autos having issues with very hard shifting in the cold...and Iā€™m talking real cold...-30, -40, not the fake cold a few were talking about on here a few days ago. Lol

I'm pretty firm on the manual, but the wife wants an auto. Sheā€™s open to the manual...and I guess Iā€™m open to the auto, if itā€™s any good.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Iā€™ve also heard of people with a lot of the new autos having issues with very hard shifting in the cold...and Iā€™m talking real cold...-30, -40, not the fake cold a few were talking about on here a few days ago. Lol

I'm pretty firm on the manual, but the wife wants an auto. Sheā€™s open to the manual...and I guess Iā€™m open to the auto, if itā€™s any good.
Not aimed at you specifically, but, it's so funny to me when people mention auto and their wives in the same sentence almost every time, because in my case I would have to present a pretty strong case to convince my wife NOT to get the manual XD

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Iā€™m planning on a manual as well. The new autos with the 10 speeds with all the skip-a-gear and other features worry me.
In this case, the 10-speed Auto may be the safe choice. The last launch of a Getrag/Ford manual gearbox out of China was a mess. The MT-82 (MTI500) had a ton of teething problems with the shift linkage, mesh, and I believe 2nd gear. Anyhow, lets hope that they learned a lot on this new gearbox and fix the issues up front. One thing good is that the gearbox seems to have quite a bit of power margin. This will help long term durability.

Last edited:

Roughrider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, 2018 Goldwing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not aimed at you specifically, but, it's so funny to me when people mention auto and their wives in the same sentence almost every time, because in my case I would have to present a pretty strong case to convince my wife NOT to get the manual XD
When I bought my Goldwing, I didnā€™t even consider the DCT...the manual is part of the fun. Same for other vehicles, for me, shifting is driving and driving is fun. For the wife, sheā€™s a point A to point B person, driving isnā€™t ā€œfunā€ for her, she just want a to get there. Lol

She also blew a shift on her manual Mustang when she was 17, spun it around on an icy highway...she sold it shortly thereafter and hasnā€™t driven a manual since. Gotta get her over that.
Sponsored