First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I've seen a lot of people talk about removing crash bars to fit bigger tires and the sas supposedly doesn't even have them but I haven't seen really anyone answer or ask this question.

Is it safe?

I mean, I'd love to throw a 2in leveling kid on my BL 4d with 35s when I get it but it's a well known fact from everything I've seen that doing so will require removing the crash bars. My biggest concern with that is 1 how will it effect the ride and potential tipping hazard with those removed (no idea what each bar weighs and if it's significant enough to keep the bronco down) and 2 how effective are they as a safety device if the sasquatch doesn't even come with them? As someone who intends to use this as his daily driver and for deep woods backpacking/camping trips and the like I want to know my family will be safe if I remove those. Does anyone have any thoughts/answers?

EDIT: thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and gave input. I think I'll definitely be looking at one of the aftermarket kits for crash bars that accommodate the larger tires. A lot of good points made on both sides that were for and against them. I appreciate everyone's input hope you all have a great night be safe out there in whatever you chose to do.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll do it without a second thought but I'm more willing to accept risk than most people I know. Seeing as how sasquatch doesn't have them I don't see it being a huge deal.

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
:LOL: They are little hollow pieces of metal. They do not weigh the car down.
I get that. But how thick is the gage? Hollow steel and still weigh a decent amount. Have you removed them? Do you know how thick and heavy they are? If you have please share.

Sponsored

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It doesn’t affect the ride or make it more prone to tipping at all. Each bar only weighs a few pounds. They are hollow but it’s thick gauge steel. I removed mine but plan to add aftermarket ones when I see a pair I like. I know 4-wheel parts has a set that is tapered so it slopes away from the tire, giving it more clearance.

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll do it without a second thought but I'm more willing to accept risk than most people I know. Seeing as how sasquatch doesn't have them I don't see it being a huge deal.
Haha I'd expect no less from the head of Nixon lol.

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It doesn’t affect the ride or make it more prone to tipping at all. Each bar only weighs a few pounds. They are hollow but it’s thick gauge steel. I removed mine but plan to add aftermarket ones when I see a pair I like. I know 4-wheel parts has a set that is tapered so it slopes away from the tire, giving it more clearance.
Good to know. Appreciate the input. So then it really is just a concern of "how much more safe is it to have them" I tried to find crash test comparison from the IIHS but it looks like they only tested the base w/o sas as far as I can find.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wish some of y’all could ride in my old ‘78 1/2 ton on 12 in skyjackers and 38 buckshot mudders and ask if removing a 4 inch piece of metal on a modern vehicle was safe.

OP
OP
Russ.Gil

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wish some of y’all could ride in my old ‘78 1/2 ton on 12 in skyjackers and 38 buckshot mudders and ask if removing a 4 inch piece of metal on a modern vehicle was safe.
See. I have no problem with that for MY safety. But keeping my daughter safe is more important to me than anything else in the world. She's all that matters. So you say you "wish we could" I say let's do it but not with my 15 month old daughter.

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really don't think they do much in anything but a relatively low speed crash. They will have zero effect on the weight. Of course if you lift a truck and put bigger tires on it, it'll roll over faster than a Ferrari, that's just physics. The higher you go, the higher the center of gravity will be, the easier you'll roll. Unless you go extreme in the wild, that will never happen, but someone t-boning you at good speed will most certainly tip you over. Just the nature of the beast. Or going around corners too fast.

I have zero concerns on my Badsquatch w/o those little stubby bars and doubt Ford's lawyers would allow a release of a dangerous car into the wild.

Do try to at least step into a Sashquatched Bronco somewhere, see if your family can get in. I'm 6'3'' and it's not much of a stretch for me and little kids will probably have fun climbing into the adventure mobile, your partner might have their own ideas there 🙃

When I first read that mine won't have "crash bars" I was concerned, once I saw those stubby little things I wasn't. Slow speed crashes are of little concern to me, even if it rolls and at high speeds physics probably won't even notice them missing ;-)

I shuffle my whole family around in it with no concerns.

edit to add: congrats on your little one! Mine are 18 and 14 now, goes as fast as people tell you, enjoy the early years before the eye rolls :-D

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

See. I have no problem with that for MY safety. But keeping my daughter safe is more important to me than anything else in the world. She's all that matters. So you say you "wish we could" I say let's do it but not with my 15 month old daughter.
Yeah, I get it, but cars today are so much safer than cars even 20 years ago it’s unbelievable. The Bronco is safe. Safe that is if used correctly. Big lift, big tires, too fast on the interstate, and just a glance or two at your phone, and well, it’s not the vehicles fault anyway.

I’m a lifetime risk taker. Still commute to work on a motorcycle. Land airplanes in the dirt. Drink from the water hose, etc. But that little crash bar is a non issue.If that’s what’s between you and certain injury or death, your already behind the ball. Worry more about good driving skills and bury the phone once you get behind the wheel.

Last edited:

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I get that. But how thick is the gage? Hollow steel and still weigh a decent amount. Have you removed them? Do you know how thick and heavy they are? If you have please share.
Dude they're like a few inches long. A couple pounds at most. Your wife's purse is probably heavier. Just don't take a shit before you leave home and you can make up for that loss of weight 🤣
Sponsored