First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just ordered the Gatorbacks direct from the manufacturer's website. It's more than I really want to spend but almost half of what my dealer is selling the same items for. I was going to make my own brackets similar to what they have(I thought of this before I saw how they are attached) and using generic mudflaps but that would mean working in my garage in the minus cold right now or waiting for three months to do it when it is warmer. I don't want to wait that long. lol

Sponsored

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Gatorbacks are obviously expensive, BUT they are pretty cool in the way the rubber flap can be removed when wheelin. Very tempting, and it would be great to hear an owners report on how they work on AND off road. My main question is, with the rubber flap part removed, is there any clearance issues to be aware of or worried about?

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I'm working on a DIY set that utilizes cheap rubber flooring for the flaps themselves. This allows them to be flexible and remain on even when wheeling.

Here are some pictures I took while fitting the fronts.

I ended up using the frame mount for the intrusion bars that aren't used on the sasquatch'd Broncos.

The mount are made from 3/16" thick A36 and are strong as hell. I'm reusing the bolt Ford left threaded into the intrusion bar frame stub. It needs an 18mm wrench BTW.

The "flappy" material is sandwiched between the mounts and a sheet metal backer on top to keep them tight inside the flares.

The very top of the flaps will be bolted to the flares. I used a NutSert mounted to the lowest stiffener inside the flare.

Once both sides are fitted and I'm ready to finalize them, I'll glue the rubber and sheet metal together and everything will be blacked out.

Maybe not the most elegant solution but I'm having fun figuring out the engineering for these.

The backs are much simpler mounts that will bolt to a convenient frame gusset and will be very much like trailer flaps on a semi hanging down from the mount bar.

Waiting on those since i'll need to pull the wheels to drill the gusset and mount the flaps.

20211226_123156.jpg

20211226_123211.jpg

20211229_151035.jpg

20211229_151045.jpg

20220105_212840.jpg

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can someone who buys the Gatorbacks please put the upper section (with the rock rail holes up front, just screw holes out back) on a scanner so we could use it as a template for cutting generic flaps?

Romano

Badlands
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw/Honda/Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think there are any on the market yet, except the crazy expensive Gatorback ones at $449 for a set of two (!).
I've seen photos where people made some others work by cutting a hole for the rock rails on the front ones. They just used a dremel and I might go that way if nothing shows up at Sema. Not paying almost $900 for mudflaps, no matter how fantastic they might be.

But I'm definitely adding something, the Bronco throws dirt and rocks like it's it's job, I haven't even been more off road than gravel parking lots and driven through puddles and the sides are sprayed with dirt, including the door handles. Plus little rocks hit the rear fender and cause damage. I have little interest in rinsing my car off every day during the rainy season, which is very short here, but still annoys me.

There is at least one other manufacturer working on these for a reasonable price, I just can't remember the name right now, but if you search the forum, they are mentioned in one of the threads about flaps.
Rock Blocks are making flaps for the bronco.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rock Blocks are making flaps for the bronco.
Seems like RB has been teasing them since October or something. Three months to gear up product development and manufacturing seems excessive for a relatively simple product.

Sponsored

Romano

Badlands
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw/Honda/Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems like RB has been teasing them since October or something. Three months to gear up product development and manufacturing seems excessive for a relatively simple product.
seems like an extremely simple product. I just started looking into these myself.

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Gatorbacks plain black with no logo for $580.00 for complete set (Finally a solution)...just ordered

https://www.sharptruck.com/2021-202...vable-mud-flaps-set-fits-with-rock-rails-only
Are you happy with these? I didn't want a logo so spending less for plain black seems like a win. Just not sure if I should wait to see what RokBlokz puts out...although given we're in the middle of winter here and I have snow and slush freezing up all over my fenders and door handles, not sure I can wait much longer.

OP
OP
araines

araines

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you happy with these? I didn't want a logo so spending less for plain black seems like a win. Just not sure if I should wait to see what RokBlokz puts out...although given we're in the middle of winter here and I have snow and slush freezing up all over my fenders and door handles, not sure I can wait much longer.
Install was relatively straight forward (spring clips and trying to get washers lined up were a pain). They look great. I did not install the rears as they do not seam to protect anything beyond rear bumper. (I am likely going to return the rears). Fronts definitely prevent debris and water from being sprayed all over the side of the truck.

Flaps 4 1.jpg

Flaps 3-1.jpg

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Install was relatively straight forward (spring clips and trying to get washers lined up were a pain). They look great. I did not install the rears as they do not seam to protect anything beyond rear bumper. (I am likely going to return the rears). Fronts definitely prevent debris and water from being sprayed all over the side of the truck.

Ford Bronco Mud Flaps for Badlands (stock rock rails) with Sasquatch Flaps 3-1

Looks great - congrats! Quick question: When you remove the rubber section, will the flap part that stays on the vehicle cause any issues while wheelin? Maybe post a pic like the last one you did but just above ground level to get an idea how low the permanent part hangs down? Thanks!

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

haha it protects the car behind you when the tires chuck a rock straight back :D

I have a set of 4 sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. in terms of using the molded mudflaps, there was another thread awhile back where someone had done the cutout with a dremel. you may want to try to search for that thread and ask them how they did it.
Sponsored