Sponsored

Mud Flaps: RokBlokz vs RekGen vs Mabett vs WeatherTech ?

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice! Did you have the door handles painted? I thought the only trim with painted handles was the Outer Banks. Also, what's the purpose of the 2" wheel spacers? I'm not well versed in vehicle modifications.
Sponsored

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Iā€™m kinda leaning towards the RokBlokz, but I wonder why they have to be pre-assembled before installation. At $400, youā€™d think they would be ready to install. Oh well, gives me something to do šŸ¤£.
I went with the RokBlokz XL for the extra length/coverage to prevent what you see in the snow pics above. Shorter flaps allow that little bit to sneak under and it can really coat the rear door/flare.

I also wondered about the assembly thing... then, when they arrived (in two boxes) I realized it was purely a shipping cost thing to not assemble them. Assembled, they would be oversized and shipping cost would skyrocket.

My only gripe about RokBlokz is the hardware which assembled the backing plates to the flaps.
The screws are plain old black oxide and the nuts are zinc coated. The black oxide started rusting after the first snow/salt event and now I have to remove and disassemble, then reassemble with stainless at my time/cost. It's going to be a HUGE pain in the ass since I followed instructions and loctited the screws.

So... if you go RokBlokz, do yourself a favor and get stainless hardware and use it to assemble. Your future self will thank you. Your wallet will piss and moan a bit, but hey... we're all made of money, right?

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went with the RokBlokz XL for the extra length/coverage to prevent what you see in the snow pics above. Shorter flaps allow that little bit to sneak under and it can really coat the rear door/flare.

I also wondered about the assembly thing... then, when they arrived (in two boxes) I realized it was purely a shipping cost thing to not assemble them. Assembled, they would be oversized and shipping cost would skyrocket.

My only gripe about RokBlokz is the hardware which assembled the backing plates to the flaps.
The screws are plain old black oxide and the nuts are zinc coated. The black oxide started rusting after the first snow/salt event and now I have to remove and disassemble, then reassemble with stainless at my time/cost. It's going to be a HUGE pain in the ass since I followed instructions and loctited the screws.

So... if you go RokBlokz, do yourself a favor and get stainless hardware and use it to assemble. Your future self will thank you. Your wallet will piss and moan a bit, but hey... we're all made of money, right?
Hi Tim, I ordered the Mabett flaps. I figured I'd give them a shot, since they were a lot less and others said they seem to do the job. I don't understand why vendors produce a good product, and then use crappy hardware? How much more would it have cost them to use stainless vs. zinc coated crap? Cheap is expensive.

ottergt

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond & 1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi Tim, I ordered the Mabett flaps. I figured I'd give them a shot, since they were a lot less and others said they seem to do the job. I don't understand why vendors produce a good product, and then use crappy hardware? How much more would it have cost them to use stainless vs. zinc coated crap? Cheap is expensive.
I have the Mabett flaps as well...they came with Stainless bolts, but black oxide washers and nuts. At least they got part of it right! I replaced the black oxide with stainless. I've been very happy so far.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the Mabett flaps as well...they came with Stainless bolts, but black oxide washers and nuts. At least they got part of it right! I replaced the black oxide with stainless. I've been very happy so far.
Iā€™ll do the same. Thanks for the heads up!

Sponsored

Kluch

Badlands
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 1958 Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got the Mabett flaps when they first came out. Love them, but all screws were rusted within a week.

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I guess it's an easy oversight... I mean, who would think mudflaps would be exposed to road salt and water? :p

Kluch

Badlands
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 1958 Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess it's an easy oversight... I mean, who would think mudflaps would be exposed to road salt and water? :p
You're saying you actually DRIVE your Bronco? o_O

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're saying you actually DRIVE your Bronco? o_O
Not me! Mine is safe in the garage until all the salt is rinsed off the roads. My wife has a leased Tacoma and I have a work truck, so the Bronco can hibernate.

Sponsored

NaMinesClarence

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

JIOxfordWhite

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MercedesBenz
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice! Did you have the door handles painted? I thought the only trim with painted handles was the Outer Banks. Also, what's the purpose of the 2" wheel spacers? I'm not well versed in vehicle modifications.
I learned you cannot paint the black textured door handles or wrap them in vinyl. Only other option was to purchase brand new OEM handles in which I am too frugal to purchase. Fortunately found door handle covers that stick with 3m double sided tape for $45 on Amazon. Amazing find and price. They have them in white, red, carbon black and glossblack. Let me know if youā€™d like the link. The 2ā€ wheel spacers is just for looks, a more aggressive stance.

cobro92

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 7.3 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Personally, I tried Mabett and the fitment was horrible. After hours of prying with them to get them to fit the brackets they sent I returned them. I might try IAG next.

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I thought IAG and Mabett were the same flaps with different bolts.

I also struggled with Mabett but eventually got it. It almost seemed like some of the brackets were not quite right. I had some difficulty getting the front to line up perfectly and the rear passenger side.

I assumed this was a case of you get what you pay for, but I haven't actually had hands on with Rokblokz, Rekgen, or the pricier Gatorbacks.

I haven't checked the bolts for rust yet. If they are, I guess I'll take one of each out and buy stainless ones. Annoying.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I learned you cannot paint the black textured door handles or wrap them in vinyl. Only other option was to purchase brand new OEM handles in which I am too frugal to purchase. Fortunately found door handle covers that stick with 3m double sided tape for $45 on Amazon. Amazing find and price. They have them in white, red, carbon black and glossblack. Let me know if youā€™d like the link. The 2ā€ wheel spacers is just for looks, a more aggressive stance.
My build is an OBX, Sasquatch, 4dr, in Oxford White, so I don't need the handle covers, but thanks anyway. Your truck looks beautiful!
Sponsored