David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

This isn't meant to be a flamethrower on the Bronco, or a love-fest either. It is just my feelings on the vehicle after one month of ownership.

I think most of the folks on this forum are Bronco enthusiasts and will love their Bronco like their own child, but I also think there are some people visiting the site to see what the Bronco hubbub is all about and maybe are trying to decide if they want to buy one (ADMs aside).

My intention is to update this thread over time to see how the vehicle continues to meet up with my expectations/likes/dislikes.

Overall:
1. Very pleased with the vehicle in terms of fit/finish and ergonomics (in general, but see more below)
2. Gas mileage for me is right at 17mpg, regardless of city or highway. I have not done 100% in either direction, but have gone 30/70 to 70/30 and my MPG really doesn't change much, fluctuating between 16.8 to 17.1.
3. Still using regular unleaded so I am not seeing sticker shock at the pump because my prior daily driver (BMW 330i) took premium gas so with the larger tank my fill up cost has been pretty much the same ($60-70 per fillup).

1. The stick shift and clutch are really, really good (IMHO). You just can't stall this sucker, and the "gates" on the shifter have wonderful feel. And while I don't need "hill start assist" as I have driven a manual my entire life, it does make starting on a hill a no-brainer for literally anyone.
2. I have no idea what the B&O sound system sounds like but I am more than happy with the version that comes with the High package. The sound is clear enough and loud enough that the road/wind noise doesn't bother me.
3. Ford has the right balance between touchscreen and actual knobs/dials. It took a lot of years but the pendulum has swung back the other way and there is now (again IMHO) a good balance between touchscreen controls and physical knob controls. Especially for volume control and HVAC control.
4. Love the swinging tailgate. Didn't think it would make a diff to me, but I really like it. Not sure if it is just the novelty, but I like it.
5. The LED headlights are awesome. I think they only come on the High or higher package, but they sure do light up the road (sorry oncoming drivers)
6. The auto-on high beams is a really nice feature, especially when driving on back country roads at night.
7. The marine grade vinyl seats are AWESOME. Very comfortable and easy to clean. I hope I say the same thing in the summertime when it is 90* outside.
8. Carplay is great. I came from a 2004 with no conveniences. The Ford implementation is very good as an Apple user.
9. Rear seat room is DEFINITELY bigger with the BL/MGV seats. The seats in the OBX take up more space. When I set up the driver position for me, and get into the rear driver seat, I have more room in my BL than in the OBX with leather and power seats.
10. The 2.3L engine has plenty of "get up and go" for me. Haven't loaded it up big time yet, but going up an incline isn't a problem and I don't feel underpowered (yet).

Dislikes (and AGAIN, this doesn't mean I am unhappy with my Bronco, its just a list of things that continue to "bug" me)
1. Road noise - it is higher than I would like but not so bad that I can't have a conversation when driving. I never expected Lexus tomb-like quiet, but it is just louder than I was hoping for. My only test drive early on was the soft top. IMO, the MIC top, even with sound deadening, still has a good amount of road/wind noise
2. The window lift buttons are in an awful place. Even after a month, I can't easily find them, and to reach them even when looking at them is an unnatural position for my wrist.
3. The cup holders are "loose" for anything other than a Big Gulp cup. My bimmer had little "fingers" inside the cupholders that helped minimize the cup moving around. It is what it is.
4. The plastic interior scratches pretty easily and it shows due to the black plastic.
5. The cubbies on the top of the dashboard do not hold anything that will not slide all over the place. I dunno what they were thinking here but I don't know what you can put in the 4 dished out areas on the top of the dash that will not slide out even under a moderate speed turn. I put sticky rubber pads in them and now they are fine for keeping things in place. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C572S2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
6. Very cheesy to not provide USB power on the top of the dash for every model (instead of just with LUX), especially with the 1/4-20 screw there that is made for mounting a GoPro, camera or smartphone. I wasn't gonna go LUX just for a power port.
7. Too much stuff on one steering wheel stalk. I am sure this is a cost-cutting measure, but I miss having 2 steering wheel stalks. The left for turn signals and high beams and the right one for windshield wipers. Cramming all the function onto the left stalk just sucks, especially to get to the rear wiper controls.
8. I am 6'1" and I still want side steps to get into the car. My wife at 5'3" absolutely needs them. Ridiculous that the hoop steps now on the B&P are not available for existing Bronco owners. Trying to figure out what to install (AR, IAG or wait for Ford)
9. The driver dashboard really sucks, especially the tachometer. To me that was designed by someone who has never driven a car, let alone one with a manual transmission. It's a good thing that I will not be drag racing this rig because the tach is useless. I wonder/hope that down the road there will be an update to put a more traditional tach into the dashboard where the other information currently is. Other than for speed readout and fuel, it is pretty useless to me for useful information.
10. The engine sound is anemic. Just doesn't sound appropriate for the vehicle. Someone on this site even said Ford is pumping in engine noise into the cabin through the stereo. If they really are doing that, still a fail.
11. The center console is just a black hole. Really deep. I put in the Mabett holder and really like it. Still don't know what to do with the space under it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QM8W8Y7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
12. The driver assistance is really inconsistent. I turned it on and I find that it oscillates between overly aggressive to no warning at all. My guess is it has something to do with how "fresh" the painted lines on the road are, but it just doesn't work very well IMO.
13. I miss a real "hand brake". I still can't get used to the electronic parking brake, probably never will. Too much muscle memory to pull that up as soon as I park. But at least it automatically releases when I put the car into reverse, because I do forget to release it myself.
14. I hope someone designs a cargo hold cover that you can use with the MIC top on. I don't like that everything in the car is visible, even with tint. I guess I am too used to having a trunk where you can stash your backpack etc away from prying eyes.
15. "Sticking" windows when opening doors is gonna be a long term thing I think. There was no problem when I picked up the car, but now the passenger rear window is sticking when opening the door. Gonna have the dealership check it out when I go in for a 1000 mile oil change.
16. The back seats deserved cup holders. Probably gonna buy this: https://www.cjponyparts.com/classic-consoles-bench-seat-console-1965-1968/p/CON10-V/
17. Bummer that "performance" mode is not one of the GOAT modes for the BL. Not gonna mess with Forscan to add it. Normal is fine for my driving style. Would have liked to have the option though.

Well, that is it for now. Don't have any "off road" comments yet. Too busy with work and am going to the Las Vegas Rodeo in early May, Will probably have some more feedback after that.

For existing Bronco owners, there is probably nothing on this list you don't already know, and some of you probably think I am a whiner :) Let me be clear, I do love my Bronco a lot. Overall it exceeded my expectations. But there are some things, especially coming from "the ultimate driving machine", that are not easy to get used to.

Hopefully prospective Bronco buyers may find some interesting nuggets in here for when they go in to look for their future Bronco.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Richterman

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with most of it. Except road noise. I came from jeeps and miata. This is so much better. I've never had a jeep that doesn't leak, hard or soft top. I drove this in a down pour and not a drop until I opened a door. I have a soft top 4 door badlands.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with basically everything written here. I don’t care about the engine noise but despise the lack of a manual tach. I haven’t had mine on the highway yet, but 50 mph on B roads is lousy with wind noise. I purchased the Bestop Sunrider for my 2 door MIC top, not sure if I should expect better or worse.

BroncoDude

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 3.5EB, 2021 2DR Base 2.7L Auto
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice write up. Pretty much spot on with my pros/cons.

roofone2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good write up. I (5’10”) must be the only person who thinks the MGV seats are uncomfortable. It bumps out into my back right below the shoulder blades.

and apple car play (wireless and wired) for me is unusable. Don’t know if it’s my XR, or what.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with most of it. Except road noise. I came from jeeps and miata. This is so much better. I've never had a jeep that doesn't leak, hard or soft top. I drove this in a down pour and not a drop until I opened a door. I have a soft top 4 door badlands.
That is where what is "relative" comes in. Our prior cars have been Acura Integra, BMW 330i, Ford Explorer and Subaru Outback. The Bronco is def louder than any of those 4 cars :) But again, not horrible as we can talk when driving. Just louder than I had hoped with the MIC top.

L8y_N_Red

Badlands
First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,

This isn't meant to be a flamethrower on the Bronco, or a love-fest either. It is just my feelings on the vehicle after one month of ownership.

I think most of the folks on this forum are Bronco enthusiasts and will love their Bronco like their own child, but I also think there are some people visiting the site to see what the Bronco hubbub is all about and maybe are trying to decide if they want to buy one (ADMs aside).

My intention is to update this thread over time to see how the vehicle continues to meet up with my expectations/likes/dislikes.

Overall:
1. Very pleased with the vehicle in terms of fit/finish and ergonomics (in general, but see more below)
2. Gas mileage for me is right at 17mpg, regardless of city or highway. I have not done 100% in either direction, but have gone 30/70 to 70/30 and my MPG really doesn't change much, fluctuating between 16.8 to 17.1.
3. Still using regular unleaded so I am not seeing sticker shock at the pump because my prior daily driver (BMW 330i) took premium gas so with the larger tank my fill up cost has been pretty much the same ($60-70 per fillup).

1. The stick shift and clutch are really, really good (IMHO). You just can't stall this sucker, and the "gates" on the shifter have wonderful feel. And while I don't need "hill start assist" as I have driven a manual my entire life, it does make starting on a hill a no-brainer for literally anyone.
2. I have no idea what the B&O sound system sounds like but I am more than happy with the version that comes with the High package. The sound is clear enough and loud enough that the road/wind noise doesn't bother me.
3. Ford has the right balance between touchscreen and actual knobs/dials. It took a lot of years but the pendulum has swung back the other way and there is now (again IMHO) a good balance between touchscreen controls and physical knob controls. Especially for volume control and HVAC control.
4. Love the swinging tailgate. Didn't think it would make a diff to me, but I really like it. Not sure if it is just the novelty, but I like it.
5. The LED headlights are awesome. I think they only come on the High or higher package, but they sure do light up the road (sorry oncoming drivers)
6. The auto-on high beams is a really nice feature, especially when driving on back country roads at night.
7. The marine grade vinyl seats are AWESOME. Very comfortable and easy to clean. I hope I say the same thing in the summertime when it is 90* outside.
8. Carplay is great. I came from a 2004 with no conveniences. The Ford implementation is very good as an Apple user.
9. Rear seat room is DEFINITELY bigger with the BL/MGV seats. The seats in the OBX take up more space. When I set up the driver position for me, and get into the rear driver seat, I have more room in my BL than in the OBX with leather and power seats.
10. The 2.3L engine has plenty of "get up and go" for me. Haven't loaded it up big time yet, but going up an incline isn't a problem and I don't feel underpowered (yet).

Dislikes (and AGAIN, this doesn't mean I am unhappy with my Bronco, its just a list of things that continue to "bug" me)
1. Road noise - it is higher than I would like but not so bad that I can't have a conversation when driving. I never expected Lexus tomb-like quiet, but it is just louder than I was hoping for. My only test drive early on was the soft top. IMO, the MIC top, even with sound deadening, still has a good amount of road/wind noise
2. The window lift buttons are in an awful place. Even after a month, I can't easily find them, and to reach them even when looking at them is an unnatural position for my wrist.
3. The cup holders are "loose" for anything other than a Big Gulp cup. My bimmer had little "fingers" inside the cupholders that helped minimize the cup moving around. It is what it is.
4. The plastic interior scratches pretty easily and it shows due to the black plastic.
5. The cubbies on the top of the dashboard do not hold anything that will not slide all over the place. I dunno what they were thinking here but I don't know what you can put in the 4 dished out areas on the top of the dash that will not slide out even under a moderate speed turn. I put sticky rubber pads in them and now they are fine for keeping things in place. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C572S2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
6. Very cheesy to not provide USB power on the top of the dash for every model (instead of just with LUX), especially with the 1/4-20 screw there that is made for mounting a GoPro, camera or smartphone. I wasn't gonna go LUX just for a power port.
7. Too much stuff on one steering wheel stalk. I am sure this is a cost-cutting measure, but I miss having 2 steering wheel stalks. The left for turn signals and high beams and the right one for windshield wipers. Cramming all the function onto the left stalk just sucks, especially to get to the rear wiper controls.
8. I am 6'1" and I still want side steps to get into the car. My wife at 5'3" absolutely needs them. Ridiculous that the hoop steps now on the B&P are not available for existing Bronco owners. Trying to figure out what to install (AR, IAG or wait for Ford)
9. The driver dashboard really sucks, especially the tachometer. To me that was designed by someone who has never driven a car, let alone one with a manual transmission. It's a good thing that I will not be drag racing this rig because the tach is useless. I wonder/hope that down the road there will be an update to put a more traditional tach into the dashboard where the other information currently is. Other than for speed readout and fuel, it is pretty useless to me for useful information.
10. The engine sound is anemic. Just doesn't sound appropriate for the vehicle. Someone on this site even said Ford is pumping in engine noise into the cabin through the stereo. If they really are doing that, still a fail.
11. The center console is just a black hole. Really deep. I put in the Mabett holder and really like it. Still don't know what to do with the space under it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QM8W8Y7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
12. The driver assistance is really inconsistent. I turned it on and I find that it oscillates between overly aggressive to no warning at all. My guess is it has something to do with how "fresh" the painted lines on the road are, but it just doesn't work very well IMO.
13. I miss a real "hand brake". I still can't get used to the electronic parking brake, probably never will. Too much muscle memory to pull that up as soon as I park. But at least it automatically releases when I put the car into reverse, because I do forget to release it myself.
14. I hope someone designs a cargo hold cover that you can use with the MIC top on. I don't like that everything in the car is visible, even with tint. I guess I am too used to having a trunk where you can stash your backpack etc away from prying eyes.
15. "Sticking" windows when opening doors is gonna be a long term thing I think. There was no problem when I picked up the car, but now the passenger rear window is sticking when opening the door. Gonna have the dealership check it out when I go in for a 1000 mile oil change.
16. The back seats deserved cup holders. Probably gonna buy this: https://www.cjponyparts.com/classic-consoles-bench-seat-console-1965-1968/p/CON10-V/
17. Bummer that "performance" mode is not one of the GOAT modes for the BL. Not gonna mess with Forscan to add it. Normal is fine for my driving style. Would have liked to have the option though.

Well, that is it for now. Don't have any "off road" comments yet. Too busy with work and am going to the Las Vegas Rodeo in early May, Will probably have some more feedback after that.

For existing Bronco owners, there is probably nothing on this list you don't already know, and some of you probably think I am a whiner :) Let me be clear, I do love my Bronco a lot. Overall it exceeded my expectations. But there are some things, especially coming from "the ultimate driving machine", that are not easy to get used to.

Hopefully prospective Bronco buyers may find some interesting nuggets in here for when they go in to look for their future Bronco.
I'll come back to comment further on this - just wanted to say you nailed it. I was reading this to my husband and after every point (good and bad) I was like, "omg. Me, too!"

Thank you for posting this!!

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll come back to comment further on this - just wanted to say you nailed it. I was reading this to my husband and after every point (good and bad) I was like, "omg. Me, too!"

Thank you for posting this!!
I am a little surprised at the consistency of the comments so far. I really wasn't sure if my comments would be agreed or disagreed on by others on the forum.

It almost makes me hope that Ford actually reads this board to understand how they can make the Bronco better in the future.

azrugger

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When in May will you be at the Vegas Off Rodeo? My wife and I are attending the Friday May 6th event at the Vegas location.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with all of this.

I will say The noise level inside was a surprise for me. It is pretty loud. That is coming from a 5 time Jeep owner that still owns a duel top rubicon. The Bronco is louder than the Jeep by a margin. The soft top is also not quite as good as the Jeeps. Not that it’s a big issue, still totally worth it to have a convertible that is easy to use.

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am a little surprised at the consistency of the comments so far. I really wasn't sure if my comments would be agreed or disagreed on by others on the forum.

It almost makes me hope that Ford actually reads this board to understand how they can make the Bronco better in the future.
They do read them.... but tagging them helps.... @Ford Motor Company

Last edited:

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It is anemic! But it's a 4-banger and getting me way better gas mileage vs. our old 2012 4-door Wrangler and has more pep. A good trade off for me. I'm putting the Flowmaster FlowFX Axle-Back muffler on to give the Bronco a bit better sound.

Hmm...
I'd encourage you look into getting Sport (Performance) mode via Forscan. It's pretty quick vs. Normal mode.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,

Overall:

You might want to wait for the @IAG Performance cup holders. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/iag-led-interior-lights-and-cup-holders.42620/

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd encourage you look into getting Sport (Performance) mode via Forscan. It's pretty quick vs. Normal mode.
I'll second this, Ford builds quite a bit of throttle tip-in damping into its normal mode (not sure whether they're chasing smoothness out of the engine/transmission or fuel economy) that disappears when in Sport, becomes a fair bit more responsive.

They're not alone, modern BMWs with drive modes are the same way, only way to get a linear response from the throttle is putting it in Sport mode and dealing with the firmed up shocks and added piped-in engine noise.

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When in May will you be at the Vegas Off Rodeo? My wife and I are attending the Friday May 6th event at the Vegas location.
I am going to the Sunday May 8 event.
Sponsored