2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wanted to give an update on towing a trailer long distance vs the previous trials I did around town.

I just returned from a trip down to Flagstaff, AZ and towed the 3310lb trailer 1350+ miles with my wife’s Bronco through the Rockies, Moab, southern UT and northern AZ, which included several mountain passes at 6-7% grades, speeds of up to 85 mph in UT, 40mph head & crosswinds at times in southern UT/northern AZ, weather conditions from upper 80s down to freezing temps which also had it snowing in parts of the CO mountains on my return.

Towed it very well and better mpg than I thought it would be (15.6mpg). Much better in every possible way than my wife’s previous ’18 Grand Cherokee with 3.6 pentastar. Does it tow it as great as my ’17 F150 w/ 3.5EB…NO. Did I miss my 36gal fuel tank of my truck…YES. Did the Bronco struggle during any of the trip…NO. Was the road noise unbearable with the soft top…NO. Was it a pleasure to drive…YES. Did it do well towing offroad on the limited dirt/sandy/rocky roads I hit…YES.

The highest temps I saw throughout my trip were 234 engine/217 trans and that was when I was climbing the 6-7% grades with the outside temps in the low 70s. All other times, the temps were both around 20-25 degrees cooler.

Bronco specs – MY21 4dr BL, non-squatch, 2.7, 9k miles, lux & tow package, rockslide engineering steps, bestop twill soft top & redarc tow pro brake controller.

Trailer specs – Patriot Campers X1 that has been modified (I removed the factory installed canvas tent, bed frame, king-size 4” spring mattress & annex and installed the ikamper skycamp 3.0, rhino rack 84”x56” pioneer platform). Trailer is all aluminum sitting on a galvanized trailer frame with air suspension, 33” MT tires w/ matching spare and weighs 3310lbs loaded.

Before people ask or say that trailer is awful heavy, here is the breakdown of where that weight came from as it adds up real quick - full 40gal water tanks, 3gal diesel for hot water heater, Redarc BMS/TVMS electronic system, dual lithium batteries, 1000w inverter, weboost, 2 10lb propane tanks, weber-q gas grill, tent, rack, awning, 60L fridge stocked with drinks & food, snacks, stove, cookware/utensils/plates/bowls/mugs etc., power/hand tools, solar panels, recovery equipment, portable ARB twin compressor, 2 camp chairs, camp table, toilet, 2-room ensuite used for shower/toilet/change room, electronics-drone, gopros, gimbals, laptops, ipads, etc., 2 complete first aid kits.
Ford Bronco My 1350+ miles towing experience through the Rockies with Bronco Badlands C8F3526A-8764-4CDF-A82D-64125467ADDB
Ford Bronco My 1350+ miles towing experience through the Rockies with Bronco Badlands A7568A71-B98B-43A2-AC30-14EC0CB99393
Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What kind of draw bar to avoid the spare tire?

ScoobyDrew

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thx for the write-up!

You must be a master at Tetris to fit all the items listed above into that small camper. Must take an age (aka 3-4 beers) to get it prepped and take it down!

OP
OP
2Jeeps&PatriotX1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thx for the write-up!

You must be a master at Tetris to fit all the items listed above into that small camper. Must take an age (aka 3-4 beers) to get it prepped and take it down!
I can be out the door in less than 30min. Just load food, clothes, round up the dogs and get the wife out the door. Everything stays in the camper and if it comes out to be washed or hosed down, it goes right back in and ready for next trip. Only things that dont stay in the camper are the solo bonfire and propane generator that will only go on extended trips and would be in the bed of my truck.

OP
OP
2Jeeps&PatriotX1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What kind of draw bar to avoid the spare tire?
I went with this one even though I didnt want to originally. My trailer requires a 2.75” rise for everything to sit level at 23” from the ground.

B913A4FB-07F9-4995-841B-B9D370EFC1C8.jpeg

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wanted to give an update on towing a trailer long distance vs the previous trials I did around town.

I just returned from a trip down to Flagstaff, AZ and towed the 3310lb trailer 1350+ miles with my wife’s Bronco through the Rockies, Moab, southern UT and northern AZ, which included several mountain passes at 6-7% grades, speeds of up to 85 mph in UT, 40mph head & crosswinds at times in southern UT/northern AZ, weather conditions from upper 80s down to freezing temps which also had it snowing in parts of the CO mountains on my return.

Towed it very well and better mpg than I thought it would be (15.6mpg). Much better in every possible way than my wife’s previous ’18 Grand Cherokee with 3.6 pentastar. Does it tow it as great as my ’17 F150 w/ 3.5EB…NO. Did I miss my 36gal fuel tank of my truck…YES. Did the Bronco struggle during any of the trip…NO. Was the road noise unbearable with the soft top…NO. Was it a pleasure to drive…YES. Did it do well towing offroad on the limited dirt/sandy/rocky roads I hit…YES.

The highest temps I saw throughout my trip were 234 engine/217 trans and that was when I was climbing the 6-7% grades with the outside temps in the low 70s. All other times, the temps were both around 20-25 degrees cooler.

Bronco specs – MY21 4dr BL, non-squatch, 2.7, 9k miles, lux & tow package, rockslide engineering steps, bestop twill soft top & redarc tow pro brake controller.

Trailer specs – Patriot Campers X1 that has been modified (I removed the factory installed canvas tent, bed frame, king-size 4” spring mattress & annex and installed the ikamper skycamp 3.0, rhino rack 84”x56” pioneer platform). Trailer is all aluminum sitting on a galvanized trailer frame with air suspension, 33” MT tires w/ matching spare and weighs 3310lbs loaded.

Before people ask or say that trailer is awful heavy, here is the breakdown of where that weight came from as it adds up real quick - full 40gal water tanks, 3gal diesel for hot water heater, Redarc BMS/TVMS electronic system, dual lithium batteries, 1000w inverter, weboost, 2 10lb propane tanks, weber-q gas grill, tent, rack, awning, 60L fridge stocked with drinks & food, snacks, stove, cookware/utensils/plates/bowls/mugs etc., power/hand tools, solar panels, recovery equipment, portable ARB twin compressor, 2 camp chairs, camp table, toilet, 2-room ensuite used for shower/toilet/change room, electronics-drone, gopros, gimbals, laptops, ipads, etc., 2 complete first aid kits.
Ford Bronco My 1350+ miles towing experience through the Rockies with Bronco Badlands B913A4FB-07F9-4995-841B-B9D370EFC1C8
Ford Bronco My 1350+ miles towing experience through the Rockies with Bronco Badlands B913A4FB-07F9-4995-841B-B9D370EFC1C8
Very cool setup . . . And 33" MT tires on a trailer!

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow, you are smokin' my base 2.3 pulling a 5x8 uHaul through similar territory. Bronco is reporting 10 to 14 mpg. Gave up on premium and just running regular unleaded.

Victoryengineer

Raptor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kubota 7040, Polaris 570, Victory MC, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Cool to hear it did so well. On an aside, what are you hauling in that little trailer? 3,310 seems mighty heavy for such a small package.

MelissaJ19

Outer Banks
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Love the setup. What are you using for the ensuite and toilet? We just got a teardrop and rtt and that's the last piece we need to figure out. We have an ikamper as well and setting it up is a dream!

Sponsored

OSU Sig

Outer Banks
First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you for your post. I have a Rockwood Hardside pop up that I'll be pulling to Wyoming in July. You have given me confidence that my OBX will pull it successfully.

BigSteveO

Badlands
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, you are smokin' my base 2.3 pulling a 5x8 uHaul through similar territory. Bronco is reporting 10 to 14 mpg. Gave up on premium and just running regular unleaded.
Great to know that a 2.3 can tow, can you share your experience and weight of your UHaul ect. Not to take over this post but I'm very interested in what the 2.3 can handle for overlanding.

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up and observations! Thank you for sharing.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great write-up! I hear ya on the 36 gallon tank, though, but it is not a fan favorite when I take 2 rounds worth of time at the Costco pumps haha
Sponsored