Sponsored

My 2023 Bronco Build (Black Diamond) -- Thoughts?

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
When I reserved over 2 years ago, I originally selected BD 2 door with the only option being the 2.7 engine. When it came time to order I had time to think about it and changed to Basequatch, with 2.7. The main reason to get cloth interior and Sas. The Base model is also very light and I went with the biggest engine available. I have had it since April and love it. I did not see the need for mid package or any other options. It is so fine as it is. And it flies with the 2.7. If I drive it with a very light foot I get over 22 MPG also. If I get on it though, it moves so fast but does burn a lot of gas with the twin turbos. If I had to do it over I would get the 2.3 and manual. Way more than enough power, less complexity, even lighter and row your own gears. I'd bet I could squeeze 25 MPG out of it.
Sponsored

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hands down, take the higher package that gives 12" display and cameras. You will never regret it!

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Having taken delivery of the vehicle, IMO $55k for the level of quality you get (no matter the trim) is just simply too much. Don't get me wrong, I love the thing but I paid just over $40k for my build and honestly probably would be mad if I had spent more after the newness wore off. If you are gonna spend $50k+ just go with the standard Badlands. You basically get everything in the sas package and the 33s look pretty damn good while being better suited when you're on the road most of the time anyways. The 2.3 with manual is an absolute blast and couldn't imagine not having that setup. Just my .02

Also, if you are somebody who plans on actually using a roofrack, I highly recommend the slide out tailgate - makes getting up to your gear super easy and it also levels out your rear cargo area. Plus it's super handy to sit on/looks badass. Also I wouldn't actually get the factory rack since it idiotically ruins the convertible functionality of the convertible you are buying. I went with Seasucker Ridge Ready Monkey Bars. Just like the Bronco roof, they are completely modular and can be moved around and/or removed easily when you want your panels off. They are also rated for the same 165 lb weight limit. Prefect solution for the Bronco.

https://www.seasucker.com/products/...bmVOL8mni9DZIvpVH7IJ5n_qzmIIMg5YaAstzEALw_wcB

Last edited:

bschack

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BMW M550i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When you finally take delivery in 2025 you'll be glad just to have anything!!!!

Rrehder

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum and have found it to be a wealth of knowledge. I find myself coming here daily!

I put in a "pre-order" with a small deposit at a Ford Dealership in DFW last week and hope that the order banks open by February or sooner so they can officially place the order. I initially was going to do a Wildtrak with Lux package. At the time, I must have been looking at the 2022 models on the "Build a Bronco" Ford website. I notice now the default on the site is the 2023 models, which have all gone up in price compared to 2022, especially the Wildtrak. So to make a long story short, I think I am going to move my build down to a Black Diamond. I was going to go with cloth on the Wildtrak, but my wife scoffed at that. I thought a good compromise could be the MGV seats on the Black Diamond. Also, I guess I can live with the 8 inch screen and regular speakers (I wanted the B&O, but I've read that they really aren't all that great -- and who knows -- maybe someday I can upgrade the speaker system).

I think I am ok with the Black Diamond with mid package. I know it doesn't have the homelink type garage door opener button and it has manual seats, but I think I can get past that. Also, Blind Spot monitoring / assist was a must have. Anyways, here is my build: https://shop.ford.com/configure/bronco/2023/config/paint/Config[|Ford|Bronco|2023|1|1.|322A...PPQ...765.43L.47B.60B.863.18H.4DR.55G.99P.BKD.]

What do you guys think of it? I look forward to any thoughts/suggestions you may have. I am not a hard-core off-roader, but I want the ability to do some off-roading in case I wanted to try. I also love the look of Sasquatch. Thanks!
I am also between the black diamond and badlands though Iā€™m going 2 door. Leaning towards badlands Lux as itā€™s only about another 5k and yološŸ˜‚

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a MY21 2DR black Diamond and it by far is the smartest bet! Sasquatch makes it unbelievably off-road ready while also allowing for smooth everyday driving. Mid-package offers the perfect level of modern comforts, and a lot of the ā€œLuxā€ stuff can be added after for much cheaper, minus 12ā€ screen, but honestly the 8ā€ is great! The MGV seats are amazing too, very comfy and they seem durable. You are going to love this rig!! Congrats and I cannot wait till you get her!

4F89A9B6-EED5-4E1E-8B00-5C8D730FA581.jpeg
That's a great-looking Bronco, Kyle! So glad your enjoying it!

OP
OP
TTUHoopsFans

TTUHoopsFans

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Compare a similarly equipped 2.7, Mid WT with the modular bumper to a 2.7 Sasquatch Mid BD with the modular bumper. The WT is $4,000 more which is $1,500 more than the 3.0 steering upgrade on the WT. You get the rock rails and MGV with the BD. You get an extra GOAT mode, cloth seating and carpet with the WT.

Unless you really want the High or Lux package or the Leather interior the BD is the better choice.
My wife and I (and both of our dads) are Red Raiders - wreck 'em!

My build is almost the same as yours except I didn't go for any OEM extras (floor mats, roof rack, etc.) figuring the aftermarket would eventually offer better options at a lower price. I did consider the hoop steps when they were introduced last year, but my dealer said you lose the rock rails if you go with the hoop steps. I don't know that I'll ever actually use the rock rails but I liked the way they covered the pinch seam along the bottom. If I decide I need a step (haven't received my bronco so don't know yet), I'll consider adding either one that attaches to the factory rock rails (IAG has one) or replace the factory rock rails with a step slider combo (Havoc has one I like).
That's awesome, love seeing some fellow Red Raiders in here! Really excited for basketball season -- if you're on twitter, I run the account @TTUHoopsFans! RAIDER!

That is a great point about the rock rails - I like the look of those so maybe I will remove the hoop steps. So the rails cover those holes that you see below the doors?

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's awesome, love seeing some fellow Red Raiders in here! Really excited for basketball season -- if you're on twitter, I run the account @TTUHoopsFans! RAIDER!

That is a great point about the rock rails - I like the look of those so maybe I will remove the hoop steps. So the rails cover those holes that you see below the doors?
The rock rails with the removable hoop steps are different from the rock rails that are standard on the Badlands and Black Diamond. The one's with the hoop steps won't support the weight of the vehicle.

You are much better off to get the standard rock rails and buy the Archetype Racing Stirrups. They are an awesome product. They're even resistant to cowshit.
Ford Bronco My 2023 Bronco Build (Black Diamond) -- Thoughts? 1668778840237

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum and have found it to be a wealth of knowledge. I find myself coming here daily!

I put in a "pre-order" with a small deposit at a Ford Dealership in DFW last week and hope that the order banks open by February or sooner so they can officially place the order. I initially was going to do a Wildtrak with Lux package. At the time, I must have been looking at the 2022 models on the "Build a Bronco" Ford website. I notice now the default on the site is the 2023 models, which have all gone up in price compared to 2022, especially the Wildtrak. So to make a long story short, I think I am going to move my build down to a Black Diamond. I was going to go with cloth on the Wildtrak, but my wife scoffed at that. I thought a good compromise could be the MGV seats on the Black Diamond. Also, I guess I can live with the 8 inch screen and regular speakers (I wanted the B&O, but I've read that they really aren't all that great -- and who knows -- maybe someday I can upgrade the speaker system).

I think I am ok with the Black Diamond with mid package. I know it doesn't have the homelink type garage door opener button and it has manual seats, but I think I can get past that. Also, Blind Spot monitoring / assist was a must have. Anyways, here is my build: https://shop.ford.com/configure/bronco/2023/config/paint/Config[|Ford|Bronco|2023|1|1.|322A...PPQ...765.43L.47B.60B.863.18H.4DR.55G.99P.BKD.]

What do you guys think of it? I look forward to any thoughts/suggestions you may have. I am not a hard-core off-roader, but I want the ability to do some off-roading in case I wanted to try. I also love the look of Sasquatch. Thanks!
Thereā€™s a Black Diamond with a hardtop at Plano Mercedez Benz off the Tollway. Go take it for a spin and decide. They also have a cloth outer banks and a soft top wildtrack.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After almost a year here's my take:

BD MID is amazing. You will end up doing upgrades but it's fun. Personally, I did a ton. Love MGV, screen is more than good, has all the essentials with MID. Steelies look good although I replaced them.

Super capable off-road stock; I added 33s and some bilstein c/o's but that isn't necessary.

You'll want to do speakers. You would in a BO too.

Things that would be nice but I don't miss include homelink, auto seats, 360 camera, a big screen.

I didn't need or want 35s (especially the GY tires). Front locker would be nice but again I'm not getting crazy but do push it. Same for disconnects, and I can do manually if I want.

I'm still torn between BD MID and BL HIGH. If I could do it again I'd still go with BD; did a ton of upgrades and still under the cost of the BL I considered. If money was no object AND I was crawling I would have went BL, just overkill for what I needed.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TTUHoopsFans

TTUHoopsFans

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I might be able to get a 4-Door 2023 Black Diamond SAS with hard top and 2.7L for about $2k over MSRP. Would have to drive 7-8 hours to get it, but it doesnā€™t seem all that bad of a deal, considering order banks are closed and who knows how long it will take to get after they open. What do yā€™all think at $2k above sticker?

Last edited:

Juventus

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I might be able to get a 2023 Black Diamond SAS with hard top and 2.7L for about $2k over MSRP. Would have to drive 7-8 hours to get it, but it doesnā€™t seem all that bad of a deal, considering order banks are closed and who knows how long it will take to get after they open. What do yā€™all think at $2k above sticker?
Is this a 2 door or 4 door? You can get a 4 door MSRP all day with interest rates going up. A 2 door is harder to find MSRP but they are out there. Dont pay over MSRP.

OP
OP
TTUHoopsFans

TTUHoopsFans

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is this a 2 door or 4 door? You can get a 4 door MSRP all day with interest rates going up. A 2 door is harder to find MSRP but they are out there. Dont pay over MSRP.
Sorry itā€™s a 4 door. Thank you for the feedback I appreciate it.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks pretty nice to me. šŸ˜Ž

Expect to read many replies telling you what you should have built instead... šŸ¤Ŗ
Basically this. Look for other people to have no problem spending your money šŸ¤£

Unlike when the B&P first launched, you now have the opportunity to test drive almost any trim. I think itā€™s the best way to know what youā€™ll like at the end of the day. Driving a build with sas package was what had me decide against it.

Also agree with those telling you to buy things that are difficult to add aftermarket. For me I wanted the 12ā€ screen so that pushed me to OBX for high/lux. I also decided it was worth adding a rear locker for $795 because itā€™d be a PIA to go after market. Best bang for my buck on my build IMO. Donā€™t buy a Badlands because you like 33ā€ KO2ā€™s.

Good luck with your build! BD is a very capable trim built for doing Bronco things right out of the box!
Sponsored

Last edited: