First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What someone is willing or will tolerate for sound inside any vehicle is subjective.

At 75mph I read between 71-72 decibels - which is on the higher end but is in no way harmful to your hearing. Leaks around the rear window that sound like little grains of sand are sliding past the weather stripping and into the cabin is far more annoying than the constant road/wind noise.

That 71-72 decibels can spike if riding next to or passing a semi.

For MPG - I'm pulling down 18.5 mpg in a BaseSquatch 2.3L 10spd running 36psi in the tires. Mixed freeway and city driving. That's hand calculated but only for 1.5 tanks. That being said, it involves all the driving I'll do on a daily basis. I'm almost through the engine break in period and I assume that number will drop significantly once I start to work the motor a little more.

I will say what has impressed me with freeway driving is how the bronco can go from 68mph to 75mph without moving off of 2,100 rpm. The turbo boost increases providing increased power at the same RPM and then bronco accelerates seamlessly.
Sponsored

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if you hunt for it, someone did a pretty good comparison of the besttop and the OEM. Besttop was louder by ~1dB
I have a tough time getting good results from the search on here so thanks for posting that. The 1dB is far from accurate. Measuring dBs in a exposed everchanging environment from a phone is of course not at all accurate, which I'm sure you and most others realize, but probably gives some baseline to go from. I'm glad they are at least really close. My heavy twill top on my JK Wrangler is decent. The ears still ring after a long trip. It's my biggest complaint on this type of vehicle.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a tough time getting good results from the search on here so thanks for posting that. The 1dB is far from accurate. Measuring dBs in a exposed everchanging environment from a phone is of course not at all accurate, which I'm sure you and most others realize, but probably gives some baseline to go from. I'm glad they are at least really close. My heavy twill top on my JK Wrangler is decent. The ears still ring after a long trip. It's my biggest complaint on this type of vehicle.
My reading I stated above was taken with a decibel meter and from between front passenger seats. As stated, driving by a semi will spike the reading as could a heavy gust of wind. LIkewise, it could dip into the upper 60s when going down hill on a calm day.

RNsnow

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First, I want to say how great the Bronco was to have during this long journey through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and our final destination Colorado. It was my Wife, small 10 pound Dachshund, and I on this trip. I’ll lay out some pro’s and cons that I have experienced which I hope @Ford Motor Company will fix at a later time. I did post a video of Schnebly Hill - Completed Schnebly Hill Trail - Ford Bronco Black Diamond - 4x4 Offroad - YouTube . My first go at making a video so please excuse the footage quality.
  • This truck handles like a champ. Yes, it’s big, boxy, and when going through North Texas where winds are kicking 30 mph consistently you will get blown around in this vehicle. Regardless, it handles 100 times better than my 2 door Wrangler ever did.
  • The soft top is ridiculously loud, and I know people have said otherwise, but I really must disagree. My wife and I had beats headphones on with noise cancellation to drown it out at even 70 mph speeds. I don’t think the hard top will really help either in this regard. I wish there was some way alleviate the noise.
  • The 2 of us including our dog slept in the back of the Bronco both at Houston Mesa Campground and Grand Canyon National Park. Honestly it was perfectly fine with no issues. We fit a full-size blow-up mattress in the back. Anyone over 5”9 will probably have issues. We did have to put something under the mattress to flatten it because the bottom is uneven. If there is an aftermarket fix for this, I would totally buy it.
  • Before leaving, I was able to get the Bronco Tailgate Table. Great purchase, sturdy and made zero noise. Was happy with the Ford install. I know others have said it rattles but I had no issues on almost 2900 miles across the country. I also received the portable fridge from Ford and it was perfect for this trip.
  • I was glad I purchased the IAG soft top assist. It was great to have when I had to constantly open the back of the truck when camping.
  • Yes I know I’m going to get flak for this…..the MPG is HORRIFIC. More so on the highway than on roads. I know I know I bought a Bronco but yes this is the 21st century. I averaged about 13-15 on highway in ECO mode half the time and Normal to test it out. The only time I saw a difference was when I was in the mountains and got 19-22. Having to stop every 250 miles for gas is a problem. The Bronco really needs a bigger tank if its only going to get 14 MPG on the highway.
  • The MGV is great! I washed the truck today to get all the mud, dirt, and sand off. Being able to quickly vacuum the interior was great. My only suggestion is I wish Ford had an option for cooled seats. Long car rides = lots of sweat.
  • Rock Chips!!!!! Every time I left the pavement and went to dirt trails like in Colorado to the cabin, I always flung rocks. When I washed the truck today I had so many dings from rocks flying up from the SAS tires. Mud flaps are a must even though I'm not a fan of the look I will be purchasing them. I will also be looking into the deflector for the hood because this thing is a bug magnet.
  • The plastic is very cheaply made. After one long trip I have scratches everywhere that's impossible to buff out. Better quality here would go a long way especially on a 50k vehicle.
  • If I had to purchase my ride all over again, I can’t overstate how much I wish I had the 12 inch screen. Trying to switch to Apple Carplay for navigation to XM radio is an annoyance I wouldn’t have had with the larger screen.
  • I did Schnebly Hill Trail we didn’t have time for Soldiers Pass but it handled like a champ. Honestly, I received much love from Jeep owners on the Trail. I uploaded a quick video to YouTube that shows the trail. First time making a video and I know the quality aint the best.
Looking back I would rather have the Badlands with 33's, better MPG, sway bar, hardtop, and high package than a fully loaded BD. But overall the Bronco held up like a champ and its been a great purchase.

IMG_3244.jpg

9DEB1E6A-ADD9-44BF-8463-58589E675A25.JPG
IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3066 (1).jpg
8192CAF9-3462-47B0-9972-4107BD80CC85 (1).jpg
You really hit the nail on the head with this review. Great write up. I agree with every single point made.

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems like the soft too is hit or miss on the sound. I told my wife the other day that sometimes I forget I even have a soft top. It’s that quiet in mine. Now if I could just get rid of the mirror whistle.
I must admit that I don’t get the soft top noise requiring noise canceling headphones. I drove mine in this morning, over an hour on the highway at 73mph, I had my radio volume set to 9 and had no problem listening to music. Definitely not noise canceling worthy in mine.
My MIC top is louder than my F150 was, but nowhere near as noisey as the OP describes with his soft top. He should try a hard top before he makes guesses about the hard top not being any quieter than the soft top. Also, Besttop twill is said to be quieter than the OEM top, which is much cheaper. A test would be good.
I'd love to see a comparison report if you upgrade to one of the Besttop soft tops, if its quieter and better than the OEM. I held out for the MIC, and luckily got one. I'm aware that those with negative MIC experience are prominent on 6G, but I'm quite pleased with mine. My ideal would have been a "dual-top", and I may yet buy an OEM softtop for part of the year, but in SC, which part of the year? So far, my research shows that its not easy to switch back and forth between a MIC and a Besttop, partly due to extra mounting hardware. A MIC and an OEM softtop are more compatible, I believe.
I've had my soft top Wildtrak for about a week and have started messing around with some strategies to make it quieter. I've been doing some measurements with an audio dB app at various speeds while trying a few different things. I'll post much more later, but i can immediately say that there is a very noticeable improvement when placing a sound-deadening blanket between a bimini top and the soft top. Under my soft top I have the Gear Shade bimini top plus a pair of Exposed Racks. On top of the Gear Shade but under the racks i placed a sound deadening blanket from Amazon that fit amazingly well with no modifications. The difference was remarkable. I used this: OUUTMEE Large 95.3”×53.5” Sound Dampening Blanket Sound Absorption Sheet Woven Cotton/Polyester Soundproofing Acoustic Treatment (Black)

I'll post my audio decibel data later. Been doing measurements as a function of speed. I've also started messing around with an active cancellation strategy for the soft top, but that'll take me awhile 'cause i have a day job. (Gotta pay for Bronco accessories somehow!)
Looking forward to some decibel readings!
What someone is willing or will tolerate for sound inside any vehicle is subjective.

At 75mph I read between 71-72 decibels - which is on the higher end but is in no way harmful to your hearing. Leaks around the rear window that sound like little grains of sand are sliding past the weather stripping and into the cabin is far more annoying than the constant road/wind noise.

That 71-72 decibels can spike if riding next to or passing a semi.

For MPG - I'm pulling down 18.5 mpg in a BaseSquatch 2.3L 10spd running 36psi in the tires. Mixed freeway and city driving. That's hand calculated but only for 1.5 tanks. That being said, it involves all the driving I'll do on a daily basis. I'm almost through the engine break in period and I assume that number will drop significantly once I start to work the motor a little more.

I will say what has impressed me with freeway driving is how the bronco can go from 68mph to 75mph without moving off of 2,100 rpm. The turbo boost increases providing increased power at the same RPM and then bronco accelerates seamlessly.
I made it quick edit to my original post since the soft top has garnered some discussion.

• EDIT - Since this has received a lot of discussion let me clarify a few things. One, I have not driven a hard top so I don't know if it's for sure quieter, but it could be. I was making an assumption based on previous things I have read.
  • In regard to the soft top, I would not recommend it to anyone at this time. Its not worth the small added convenience of being able to take it down. I know its not entirely accurate but I tried 2 different IPhone DB readings apps and it was around 80-90 DB and that's without the massive crosswind I experienced during my trip!!!! It could very well be higher! I also had no music on to make sure it was accurate. I've owned 5 motorcycles in the last 10 years and its almost just as loud as being on my bike.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I made it quick edit to my original post since the soft top has garnered some discussion.

• EDIT - Since this has received a lot of discussion let me clarify a few things. One, I have not driven a hard top so I don't know if it's for sure quieter, but it could be. I was making an assumption based on previous things I have read.
  • In regard to the soft top, I would not recommend it to anyone at this time. Its not worth the small added convenience of being able to take it down. I know its not entirely accurate but I tried 2 different IPhone DB readings apps and it was around 80-90 DB and that's without the massive crosswind I experienced during my trip!!!! It could very well be higher! I also had no music on to make sure it was accurate. I've owned 5 motorcycles in the last 10 years and its almost just as loud as being on my bike.
And here I would only recommend a bronco with a soft top. I've had it down 3 of the last 4 days and it has been amazing and I couldn't imagine the Bronco experience without being able to quickly put the top down.

But that's why it is great Ford offers both and even though you purchased a soft top you can get a MIC top soon to replace it. It's also why I said what someone will tolerate for interior noise is subjective. What works for me doesn't work for you and so forth.

Cheers!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I liked the write up. That noise level seems extreme. I am in between standard and SQ and still have my MIC 2.0 with headliner and High package sound insulation. Althouhg not as quiet as my F150, I have not found the sound level problematic and can listen to my radio no problem at hwy speeds. (BL, 2.7 33" BFG KO2s). The Bronco (and other similar vehicles) gets killed economy wise at HWY speeds. There is none of the "aero-aids" used on my Bronco that were on my 2018 F150 2.7. No chin spoiler, tires exposed to the oncoming air, upright windshield etc. Simple formula to understand mileage and speed, made worse by wind and other environmental issues (I get about 20MPG at 60- 16.5 at 77, matches pretty close).
Ford Bronco My 2900 Mile Bronco Journey 1651514161181

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And here I would only recommend a bronco with a soft top. I've had it down 3 of the last 4 days and it has been amazing and I couldn't imagine the Bronco experience without being able to quickly put the top down.

But that's why it is great Ford offers both and even though you purchased a soft top you can get a MIC top soon to replace it. It's also why I said what someone will tolerate for interior noise is subjective. What works for me doesn't work for you and so forth.

Cheers!
I'm with you. You cannot give me a hardtop for my Bronco.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm with you. You cannot give me a hardtop for my Bronco.
But I don't hate on anyone that has a hard top. Everyone has their reasons. The bronco being so customizable to likes and preferences is awesome.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But I don't hate on anyone that has a hard top. Everyone has their reasons. The bronco being so customizable to likes and preferences is awesome.
Nope. Thought I wanted one, and was leaning aftermarket, until I actually received the soft top.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don’t get me wrong I like the soft top and I’ve taken it down multiple times. The noise is pretty severe is all I’m saying. Now maybe there’s an issue with my soft top. That’s a whole different issue.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I could see this being a thing. When I did a roadtrip from Idaho to California, it was on the louder side at speeds of 80+ for sure and every so often, the wind would hit it just right causing it to whirl. I kind of liked the normal noise since normally, I get pretty tired driving more than a couple hours a day. However, on that trip, I was up and awake at all times. Was it the top noise, or was it the hype I was driving a Bronco for the first time? Who knows :ROFLMAO:

that’s just the nature of a soft top. It’s pretty worth it for some, but maybe not to someone who routinely drives cross country at interstate speeds :)

Ive Only put the top down a handful of times but don’t mind the noise since I’m usually under 65 anyways. It’s not crazy louder than a normal car at these speeds for me.

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

First, I want to say how great the Bronco was to have during this long journey through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and our final destination Colorado. It was my Wife, small 10 pound Dachshund, and I on this trip. I’ll lay out some pro’s and cons that I have experienced which I hope @Ford Motor Company will fix at a later time. I did post a video of Schnebly Hill - Completed Schnebly Hill Trail - Ford Bronco Black Diamond - 4x4 Offroad - YouTube . My first go at making a video so please excuse the footage quality.
  • This truck handles like a champ. Yes, it’s big, boxy, and when going through North Texas where winds are kicking 30 mph consistently you will get blown around in this vehicle. Regardless, it handles 100 times better than my 2 door Wrangler ever did.
  • The soft top is ridiculously loud, and I know people have said otherwise, but I really must disagree. My wife and I had beats headphones on with noise cancellation to drown it out at even 70 mph speeds. I don’t think the hard top will really help either in this regard. I wish there was some way alleviate the noise.
  • The 2 of us including our dog slept in the back of the Bronco both at Houston Mesa Campground and Grand Canyon National Park. Honestly it was perfectly fine with no issues. We fit a full-size blow-up mattress in the back. Anyone over 5”9 will probably have issues. We did have to put something under the mattress to flatten it because the bottom is uneven. If there is an aftermarket fix for this, I would totally buy it.
  • Before leaving, I was able to get the Bronco Tailgate Table. Great purchase, sturdy and made zero noise. Was happy with the Ford install. I know others have said it rattles but I had no issues on almost 2900 miles across the country. I also received the portable fridge from Ford and it was perfect for this trip.
  • I was glad I purchased the IAG soft top assist. It was great to have when I had to constantly open the back of the truck when camping.
  • Yes I know I’m going to get flak for this…..the MPG is HORRIFIC. More so on the highway than on roads. I know I know I bought a Bronco but yes this is the 21st century. I averaged about 13-15 on highway in ECO mode half the time and Normal to test it out. The only time I saw a difference was when I was in the mountains and got 19-22. Having to stop every 250 miles for gas is a problem. The Bronco really needs a bigger tank if its only going to get 14 MPG on the highway.
  • The MGV is great! I washed the truck today to get all the mud, dirt, and sand off. Being able to quickly vacuum the interior was great. My only suggestion is I wish Ford had an option for cooled seats. Long car rides = lots of sweat.
  • Rock Chips!!!!! Every time I left the pavement and went to dirt trails like in Colorado to the cabin, I always flung rocks. When I washed the truck today I had so many dings from rocks flying up from the SAS tires. Mud flaps are a must even though I'm not a fan of the look I will be purchasing them. I will also be looking into the deflector for the hood because this thing is a bug magnet.
  • The plastic is very cheaply made. After one long trip I have scratches everywhere that's impossible to buff out. Better quality here would go a long way especially on a 50k vehicle.
  • If I had to purchase my ride all over again, I can’t overstate how much I wish I had the 12 inch screen. Trying to switch to Apple Carplay for navigation to XM radio is an annoyance I wouldn’t have had with the larger screen.
  • I did Schnebly Hill Trail we didn’t have time for Soldiers Pass but it handled like a champ. Honestly, I received much love from Jeep owners on the Trail. I uploaded a quick video to YouTube that shows the trail. First time making a video and I know the quality aint the best.
Looking back I would rather have the Badlands with 33's, better MPG, sway bar, hardtop, and high package than a fully loaded BD. But overall the Bronco held up like a champ and its been a great purchase.

Thanks for the report, and for taking the time to analyze the comments. The Bronco is a unique, amazing & capable fun vehicle, with some imperfections, quirks and idiosyncrasies that depend on the individual owners needs and expectations. What bothers me might be noticed by you, and what is an issue to you might be fine with me. Sasquatch, or no Sasquatch, 2 door or 4, MIC top or Soft Top, auto transfer case or not, the terrain and speed you typically drive the car, and what car you are comparing it to . . . All these things make our reactions what they are, positive or negative.

Free Pizza

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If no one has mentioned it yet. If you buy the ford pull out tail gate. It makes your trunk floor now level to the folded down seats.

splytsecond

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
any details on the air mattress? also looking for something that fits snug
Sponsored