Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Veloster N, 11 Buick Regal, 02 Lesabre
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So consensus is that the 6.5s in the kick panels are crap! I have changed my 4ā€ out for kickers and left the 6.5s. Meh. I guess itā€™s ok! My question is a quality 1 way 6.5 mid driver or a 6.5 ā€œ sub in the kicks! Cap the highs out the way to go?
Do you think this would work off the factory head?
I wish I had taken a photo of the factory 6.5 speaker. It has a much higher quality cone than the 4"s. I think that is partly why the stock ones produce most of the sound in the front. From what I have seen others say, replacing the stock 6.5 without adding an amp doesn't really change the sound any?

OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I may steal your idea to mount the sub on the tailgate :p
I wanted to build a down firing box and put it behind the seat, but my friend who works at the truck/audio shop suggested it, he said they put all the jeep boxes on the tailgate and that the sound would be good. I feel like the down firing box would probably sound better with the top off. He did say that on the Jeeps they rino line or dynamat the tailgate, but the Bronco tailgate has a lot of bracing inside and there were no big panels for me to get dynamat on. It does not rattle too bad, a little bit by the handle so I may try to put some dampening there.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How much time have you had with the system since install? Are you getting any rattle from the tailgate? That would be my main hesitation in choosing that for a location.
Yes...any rattle from the sub???? I'm looking at that solution also!

Reactions: Cat

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks great! I have a 10tw3 in my Jeep and RX-7, that sub rocks pretty hard.

This is the first good pics of where the factory sub goes, any rough ideas of how deep that space is? I am thinking of building a custom box and putting either a 10tw3 or 8w7 in that location. 8 might be easier and could potentially use the factory b&o panel. Just curious is f the depth is more than 7.5ā€. Wish I had my Bronco!
Yeah, this is my first JL sub and it does hit pretty good for such a small box.
The amp is 4 5/16 wide. So I would estimate that there is about 6" of depth ( I know I measured it before I built the board for the amp, I want to say it was 5.875 or something?) in the outer fender area. If you remove that storage pocket you will be able to go towards the rear more. Then if you stepped the box inside the inner fender well there is probably another 5-6 inches of depth back there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Slick!

I presume this step was to weatherproof it. Keep an eye on it if it gets wet often. I've seen a lot of people have problems with bedliner on wood holding up when exposed to water.
Yes, we don't plan on ever getting it wet on purpose. We kept the top off all summer, but it stays in the garage and doesn't get driven if there is a chance of rain. So unless we get caught out in a storm it should stay dry, hopefully.

OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How much time have you had with the system since install? Are you getting any rattle from the tailgate? That would be my main hesitation in choosing that for a location.
It has been a little over a week since I got it going. The inside of the bronco tailgate has so much bracing welded in there. It actually got in the way of my t slot nuts I built so I had to cut them down. I originally planned to line the inside of the tailgate with dynamat, but there is hardly a flat surface you can get to due to all the bracing. There is also a large plastic brace section towards the handle end. I tried to photograph the tailgate with the trim pieces off so you guys could see some of this.
With everything closed up and my wife and daughter jamming out inside I stood behind it and the only real vibration/rattle was coming from the handle and the area right around it. I was able to make it go away by leaning on that area so I think I will try to apply some dynamat there. I feel like all the bracing and the weight of the tire really dampen the tailgate surprisingly well. The only other options I am aware of would be spray in dynamat or just filling the tailgate with polyfill, but I don't know if that is water proof?

OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I also looked at doing one of those, but mounting it to the seat back or side panel. I just wasn't sure if it would provide as much bass as I wanted. I also looked at some larger powered boxes by Rockford Fosgate, but they were deeper (so they would stick out further) and heavier than this JL box, which is why I chose it.

OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice set up. Very clean install. I too am curious about rattle in the tailgate?
Surprisingly not bad. I think all the internal bracing and weight of the tire help. It does rattle a bit by the handle. I may try to put some dampening in that area.

Sponsored

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™ve installed an Audio Control LCQ-1, Punch 400 to drive the dash, kick panels and rear pods (all of which are new Kickers), and an Audio Control 300w mono sub amp for the downward firing shallow 10ā€ Kicker sub. The Bronco doesnā€™t like my plan. I had sound for minutes, now silence. Still have power to everything, no blown fuses. Then installed the blue LGD from Audio Controlā€¦still silence. A kicker LGD is in the mail as the recommendation from Crutchfield. I may have to try that Wavelink LOC if this doesnā€™t work. (Yes, my connections are right). Anyone else have issues with the Sync 4 being picky with the LOC they used? Crutchfield didnā€™t have a definitive answer.

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get a kick out of these posts. I think these folks are doing amazing things, and Iā€™m a tad jealous, but with four kids I canā€™t even imagine having the time to do this kind of stuff. The best I can hope for is no one leaving chip crumbs all over the back seat, šŸ˜‚.
Once they're old enough to go larger chunks of time less attended, they'll get a lot from you tackling these sorts of projects. Even if they aren't interested or really watching you, just knowing it's possible, that you have other interests, that you get shit done.. all great lessons.

snbrking

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None. Sharing w/ spouse
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How much does an upgrade like this cost in terms of time and $?

OP
OP
Rem234

Rem234

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How much does an upgrade like this cost in terms of time and $?
I was able to get the amp used from my friend and the sub I found lightly used on FB marketplace. Plus that same friend works at the audio shop so I got some pretty solid discounts on everything else. I am into this for $1,150 and a few days of work. If you were to buy everything new it would be around $2K.
Sponsored