Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was the only 21+ Bronco this year - thought there would be more. Surprisingly capable stock BL SAS. Here are a few pics.

Edit: adding short clip

Ford Bronco My Badlands Sasquatch participated in NORRA 500 2022 - Safari Rapido A9FB1DE8-68CB-4D48-959C-713D44E21795

Ford Bronco My Badlands Sasquatch participated in NORRA 500 2022 - Safari Rapido IMG_1612

Ford Bronco My Badlands Sasquatch participated in NORRA 500 2022 - Safari Rapido IMG_1482
Ford Bronco My Badlands Sasquatch participated in NORRA 500 2022 - Safari Rapido IMG_1667
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Dang that looks awesome. What all electronics do you have. Sweet ride!

OP
OP
az_dirt

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dang that looks awesome. What all electronics do you have. Sweet ride!
Let's see, electronic bits.

-Garmin-so my wife could track from home using app and device
-Anube Stella GPS iridium-race provided-beeps notifiy driver of speed zones and other drivers, SOS feture etc-antenna attached to my AM/FM antenna
-Ipad wifi/cellular-LeadNav app made for racing-notifies driver waypoints and dangers/cautions
-Iphone ;)
-50w radio programed for frequency e.g., 151.625 Mhz VHF weatherman frequency, external speaker, I hacked mine opened up the range and then programed it
-VHF radio antenna to match the frequency
-Chase light
-GoPro

Picture of external antenna for the stella is below. The GMRS antenna (short round one) is for offroading here in the US on 462ish Mhz UHF.
Ford Bronco My Badlands Sasquatch participated in NORRA 500 2022 - Safari Rapido IMG_1620

Last edited:

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How did the Bronco do? Looks like one hell of a adventure.

OP
OP
az_dirt

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Bronco did awesome. Solid rig. No issues.
Any GoPro footage to share? What were the strengths of the Bronco that you appreciated most compared to other racer vehicles?

OP
OP
az_dirt

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now this is using the Bronco for its intent.
Looks awesome!
Just read the rules on the site and I'd never attempt this, but I am envious nonetheless.
It was an adventure for sure but well worth it IMO.

Bukin67

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Bronco Baja racer "The Bukin'eer"
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I saw your Bronco there. Nice rig! If my Warthog ever gets built, I may enter the Rapido Safari. I've raced 2 vintage Broncos in 10 different NORRA events and they're always epic. The 500 seems to always have a low turnout because of other events happening during this time. If you come to the 1000 in April, you'll see many more 6G's! The Safari class was so big at the '22 1000 that they will probably need to separate it into 2 groups next year. Hope to see you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
az_dirt

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any GoPro footage to share? What were the strengths of the Bronco that you appreciated most compared to other racer vehicles?
Strengths and weaknesses below are for spirited recreational driving (not balls out competitive racing) and purely my opinion.

Strengths

Engine
- Baja Mode kept the engine in boost plenty of power when needed, the 30-50mph sweet spot. If I pushed it a little, response was adequate, and transmission responded fine as well. Could it use more power? Always. My experience here was that the stock v6 seemed to have enough polish for me-very well mannered. Again, baja mode was mentioned by other drivers on the radio – I think others had fun mentioning it often.

Handling IFS - When cruising at a decent pace the balance seemed to allow the driver to have a good sense of having control. It does not fight the driver like my experience with solid axels, especially with speed. IFS to me was like going from a Motel 6 to to the Four Seasons.

Tires - I am probably in the small minority on this here but the stock Goodyear tires seemed grippy and fine. Currently have about 20K miles on them and they haven't missed a beat. After the several hundred Baja miles last week there is noticeable wear on them. I ran at 20psi on the dirt sections. Driving was very spirited it wasn't a Sunday stroll. Brakes seemed fine too, if running bigger tires may need help with the stopping power and heat. Stock (2 piston?) calipers were okay.

Overall - Some rigs did better on wide open flat runs. The bronco could keep up but was not the strongest compared to the V8s with modifications. Bronco shined when it came to the short rock crawlish sections, twistys, long sweeps, hair pin turns (trail turn assist is the bomb), steep up/down the Bronco seemed to shine based on noticeable distances to other rigs. The bronco size was in the middle, there were larger and smaller built rigs (e.g., lifted Suburban and smaller AWD Porsche 911). Seemed to have the best of all worlds, (disclosing my bias).

Weaknesses

Suspension and travel
– Sasquatch is solid, don’t get me wrong here. IFS was nimble BUT it makes sense that the rules required skid plates. I don’t think that stock Bilsteins were designed for some occasional air or coming down quickly. I slowed down over jumps, that is not for this rig. There was probably some air under the tires at some point in time. Going over whoops or rollers (large whoops) all the travel was used and often felt harsh coming down. No surprise as the bronco is heavy and the stock suspension, again, probably not designed for that. Another inch or two of travel and aftermarket coil overs would have been perfect.

I have GoPro footage, but I am a rookie quickly got lost with all the file names/types where and how to edit etc., buy this app use this computer... Probably much easier than I am making it out to be. The intention was to load a couple of pics here and short video but I am kinda like a baby gorilla with that and the video kept failing to upload.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, all I saw was this at first! :love:

Ford Bronco My Badlands Sasquatch participated in NORRA 500 2022 - Safari Rapido 1664994249425

OP
OP
az_dirt

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you run stock tie rods?
I ran stock tie rods nothing added to them. I brought 2 spares - thought was that if one broke it could be replaced on the track, then alignment when back home.

OP
OP
az_dirt

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw your Bronco there. Nice rig! If my Warthog ever gets built, I may enter the Rapido Safari. I've raced 2 vintage Broncos in 10 different NORRA events and they're always epic. The 500 seems to always have a low turnout because of other events happening during this time. If you come to the 1000 in April, you'll see many more 6G's! The Safari class was so big at the '22 1000 that they will probably need to separate it into 2 groups next year. Hope to see you.
Getting time off of work is tough too. If I could pick it would be NORRA's Mexican 1000 and fly my wife and meet up in San Jose del Cabo. Not sure just yet but it would be great to see more 6 gen Broncos.

A Bronco Raptor (Warthog) seems to be made from the factory just for this. Hopefully you get it in time - that would be epic!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ran stock tie rods nothing added to them. I brought 2 spares - thought was that if one broke it could be replaced on the track, then alignment when back home.
I love the tie rod questions 😀 Tie rods are associated primarily with lifts, 37”+ tires and extreme steering angles. I am sure you could break one hammering in the desert too, but it’s probably no more likely than anything else to break. Great write up and definitely envy and appreciate your trip!
Sponsored