Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

6/21/22 Update:

I’m back in the saddle again! 😁

Just a few days after my Bronco returned home, 3 local friends and I conquered the very same trail where the fuel pump failed. :cool:

A detailed ride report is posted here, including the trail map and over 30 photos and videos. 🗺📷🎥🤘

6/13/22 Update:

The vehicle was out of commission for 10 days (1 day for trail recovery + 9 days at the dealership for repairs). Replacement of the fuel pump and fuel pump control module were covered under warranty (N/C), and replacement of the wheel speed sensor that got pinched was not covered under warranty ($176, my total cost).

The Technician thinks the Bronco's fuel pump is a good design, and this was likely just a random part failure (i.e., infant mortality) that also led to a failure of the control module.

Details of the repairs and costs are documented here.

6/10/22 Update:

Repairs are complete, and she’s back home again! 😎

6/9/22 Update:

Fuel system repairs are now complete, but wheel speed sensor must also be replaced.

6/3/22 Update:

Fuel pump failure confirmed. Covered under warranty. Parts have been ordered (ETA TBD). Loaner vehicle was provided.

6/1/22 Update:

The trail recovery was successful; now being serviced by local dealer. (Photos of the recovery here.)

5/31/22 Original Post:

My Bronco (2.7L) died today, deep into a remote trail… about 4 miles into a 10-mile-long trail with steep elevation changes, tight turns between narrow groups of trees, and deep mud holes. :(

That’s it below… hood up, exactly where it died, going down a decline with 21 degree pitch, trailing behind @kodiakisland's Bronco.

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] 1ED6BE79-AC9A-4F96-B698-75735C4E2D6D

For background, @kodiakisland and I were scouting potential trails for the next NWA trail run on June 14th, and @kodiakisland had briefly stopped for a photo, so I pulled up behind him with my foot on the brake. When the engine started to lug, I put the transmission in neutral, engaged the electronic parking brake, and then put the vehicle into park, and it immediately died.

Numerous attempts were made to get it to re-start, but the engine appears to be starved for fuel. The first thing I checked was the fuel pump fuse (Fuse #4, 30A, in the Under Hood Fuse Box), which was fine. The tank was 3/4 full after being topped off this morning with half a tank of regular unleaded before departure. No signs of water in the fuel tank. Popped the cover off the air filter housing and confirmed that the air filter is not clogged or otherwise blocked. The battery is fully charged and alternator is functioning well (i.e., both confirmed by meters on the IP display, 12.4V on battery, 13.3V with alternator charging under load at speed). The starter fires continuously like normal. The crankshaft turns smoothly, and the engine tries to fire, and sometimes does for one stroke, but then dies again. I also disconnected the battery and waited 20 minutes before retrying, but the results were the same.

My instinctive guess is a fuel pump failure (possibly infant mortality; 2,490 miles on the odometer), based on other recent threads posted on the forum, but I haven't had a chance to pull any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) or study the Technical Service Manual (TSM) for other possible problems. The vehicle is well beyond cell phone coverage, so it is unlikely that any DTCs would have been uploaded into the Mothership’s tracking system. If it's a fuel pump failure, that is going to present a difficult trail-side fix, because the gas tank will have to be dropped to access the pump.

Unfortunately, it's also going to be difficult to tow out for recovery, because of the aforementioned difficult trail access. :(

So the bad news is we pulled my Bronco off to the side of the trail and temporarily abandoned it deep in the woods this afternoon, and it is sitting on the trail side all alone in the dark tonight. 🙁

The good news is I hitched a ride home with @kodiakisland (Never wheel alone!), got some great photos, and saw three deer today! :)🗺🖼📸
Sponsored

Last edited:

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My Bronco died on the trail today, about 4 miles deep into a moderately-difficult (3/5), 10 mile long trail with steep elevation changes, tight turns between narrow groups of trees, and deep mud holes. :(

That’s it below… hood up, exactly where it died, going down a rather steep decline (21 degree pitch), trailing behind @kodiakisland's Bronco.

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] 1ED6BE79-AC9A-4F96-B698-75735C4E2D6D

For background, @kodiakisland had briefly stopped for a photo, so I pulled up behind him with my foot on the brake. When the engine started to lug, I put the transmission in neutral, engaged the electronic parking brake, and then put the vehicle into park, and it immediately died.

Numerous attempts were made to get it to re-start, but the engine appears to be starved for fuel. The first thing I checked was the fuel pump fuse (Fuse #4, 30A, in the Under Hood Fuse Box), which was fine. The tank was 3/4 full after being topped off this morning with half a tank of regular unleaded before departure. No signs of water in the fuel tank. Popped the cover off the air filter housing and confirmed that the air supply is not clogged or blocked. The battery is fully charged and alternator is functioning well (i.e., both confirmed by meters on the IP display, 12.4V on battery, 13.3V with alternator charging under load at speed). The starter fires continuously like normal. The crankshaft turns smoothly, and the engine tries to fire, and sometimes does for one stroke, but then dies again. I also disconnected the battery and waited 20 minutes before retrying, but the results were the same.

My instinctive guess is a fuel pump failure (possibly infant mortality), based on other recent threads posted on the forum, but I haven't had a chance to pull any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) or study the Technical Service Manual (TSM) for other possible problems. The vehicle is well beyond cell phone coverage, so it is unlikely that any DTCs would have been uploaded into the Mothership’s tracking system. If it's a fuel pump failure, that is going to present a difficult trail-side fix, because the gas tank will have to be dropped to access the pump.

Unfortunately, it's also going to be difficult to tow out for recovery, because of the steep inclines, tight hairpin turns between trees, and deep mud holes along the trail. :(

So the bad news is we pulled my Bronco off to the side of the trail and temporarily abandoned it deep in the woods this afternoon, and it is sitting on the trail side all alone in the dark tonight. 🙁

The good news is I got some great photos, and we saw three deer today! :p
F!

Sponsored

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, not yours, really
- it's getting to be several fuel pumps now and seems always connected w tough trail driving
- the first one I remember was @JA87 who gave some repair details in his thread - but am sure you're already well informed
- am sorry to hear this

MyBroncoNotYours

Badlands
First Name
Good Try FBI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Bronco died today, deep into a remote trail… about 4 miles into a 10-mile-long trail with steep elevation changes, tight turns between narrow groups of trees, and deep mud holes. :(

That’s it below… hood up, exactly where it died, going down a decline with 21 degree pitch, trailing behind @kodiakisland's Bronco.

1ED6BE79-AC9A-4F96-B698-75735C4E2D6D.jpeg

For background, @kodiakisland and I were scouting potential trails for the next NWA trail run on June 14th, and @kodiakisland had briefly stopped for a photo, so I pulled up behind him with my foot on the brake. When the engine started to lug, I put the transmission in neutral, engaged the electronic parking brake, and then put the vehicle into park, and it immediately died.

Numerous attempts were made to get it to re-start, but the engine appears to be starved for fuel. The first thing I checked was the fuel pump fuse (Fuse #4, 30A, in the Under Hood Fuse Box), which was fine. The tank was 3/4 full after being topped off this morning with half a tank of regular unleaded before departure. No signs of water in the fuel tank. Popped the cover off the air filter housing and confirmed that the air filter is not clogged or otherwise blocked. The battery is fully charged and alternator is functioning well (i.e., both confirmed by meters on the IP display, 12.4V on battery, 13.3V with alternator charging under load at speed). The starter fires continuously like normal. The crankshaft turns smoothly, and the engine tries to fire, and sometimes does for one stroke, but then dies again. I also disconnected the battery and waited 20 minutes before retrying, but the results were the same.

My instinctive guess is a fuel pump failure (possibly infant mortality; 2,490 miles on the odometer), based on other recent threads posted on the forum, but I haven't had a chance to pull any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) or study the Technical Service Manual (TSM) for other possible problems. The vehicle is well beyond cell phone coverage, so it is unlikely that any DTCs would have been uploaded into the Mothership’s tracking system. If it's a fuel pump failure, that is going to present a difficult trail-side fix, because the gas tank will have to be dropped to access the pump.

Unfortunately, it's also going to be difficult to tow out for recovery, because of the aforementioned difficult trail access. :(

The good news is I hitched a ride home with @kodiakisland (Never wheel alone!), got some great photos, and saw three deer today! :)
Is this a 2.7 or 2.3 engine? I recall people having issues with the fuel pump in the 2.7. Possibly something to do with a loose connection or assembly. Not an expert or informed, just curious.

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That bites! I hope the recovery and repair go well.

At least the 3rd fuel pump I’ve seen die on the trails. Wtf is going on.
In tank pump or high pressure pump?

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, not yours, really
- it's getting to be several fuel pumps now and seems always connected w tough trail driving
- the first one I remember was @JA87 who gave some repair details in his thread - but am sure you're already well informed
- am sorry to hear this
Thanks for the link. I have not had time to research other similar failures, so you just saved me some time. 👍
Is this a 2.7 or 2.3 engine? I recall people having issues with the fuel pump in the 2.7. Possibly something to do with a loose connection or wired assembly. Not an expert or informed, just curious.
2.7L engine.

Sponsored

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you bet my friend

here's another fuel pump thread
- w dealer diagnosis last Friday
- " The dealer called me and said all sensors were good, that it was just a mechanical failure of the fuel pump. Nothing else, nothing more than that . . "
Thanks. I had been following that thread, so I was thinking about it when I was contemplating possible root causes. Recency bias, perhaps, but the symptoms also do indicate the engine is starved for fuel.

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is my nightmare since 90% of my off road trips are solo / with my copilot. Solo off roading is necessary when your friends aren’t into getting lost every weekend. This is just another reason I’ll be keeping the Bronco local and taking the 4Runner on the long distance explorations.

Sorry to hear this OP, hopefully it’ll be a fairly simple trail fix in the morning. I couldn’t fathom leaving a 50k+ vehicle alone on the trails over night. Best of luck!! Following your story.