steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I forgot the 2.7 has both direct and intake fuel injection.
Would be neat if they could operate independently in case of a failure in the other system (in a low-power limp-home mode).
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are two with Raptor included. MB3Z-9H307-F Raptor, 2.3 4D, 2.7 4D. MB3Z-9H307-E 2.3 2D, 2.7 4D.
Was that last 2.7 4D correct or should it be 2.7 2D?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I forgot the 2.7 has both direct and intake fuel injection.
Would be neat if they could operate independently in case of a failure in the other system (in a low-power limp-home mode).
actually from what I was reading, it implied that only one of the two systems were firing at a time. The high pressure side under high load and the low pressure side for low demand.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are two with Raptor included. MB3Z-9H307-F Raptor, 2.3 4D, 2.7 4D. MB3Z-9H307-E 2.3 2D, 2.7 2D.
You're the man. So not engine dependent. Now I'm curious if all failures have been 4drs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Strange, right? Aren't talking about that much distance so it almost has to be height due to tank size.
My Service Advisor just forwarded me a copy of the Service Technician's technical write-up. I have redacted some of the personal information for privacy.

Thoughts? 🤔

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] Technical Write-U

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Strange, right? Aren't talking about that much distance so it almost has to be height due to tank size.
Probably, but different heights seems unnecessary too. The USCAR standard pumps Ford has been using have a spring loaded basket and have about 4" of height adjustability.

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think that this is a very good point. While there are certainly some weak points that may need to be addressed, in general, the likelihood of a catastrophic failure does appear to be lower than 1% per 10k miles driven (and I would argue it's lower than that but I don't have data to support that).

However, a 1% warranty repair rate for any manufacturer would be catastrophic, which is why the hardtops were such a big deal, because letting them leave the factory would have incurred huge costs to repair under warranty (even though I wanted my dirt mountain Bronco released at the time).

I know that it's anecdotal, but the fact is that my Bronco has made it 23,000 miles in just over 6 months. During that time, I had 2 parking brake warnings (which were obvious false alarms) and no other errors. Fuel mileage has continued to improve (last 1427 miles has been between 21-23 mpg despite the fact that I am not gentle on the throttle). I have been very impressed with the vehicle in many, many ways.

It quite possibly is one of the best vehicles that I have ever owned (with the notable exception of the B&O stereo system's weak ass speakers).

This is not to discount anyone else who has had significant problems. A early fuel pump failure is cause for concern (especially if there is a developing trend towards early failure) and is as serious as a motor failure, due to the fact that failure can leave a person in a dangerous situation, especially in an off-road vehicle.

Honestly, I was expecting the motor failures to become much more prolific, but thankfully it has been far fewer than I expected (and I have a motor in the middle of the danger zone). A fuel pump failure would suck, but at the end of the day, it's still a warranty repair. I just wish that Ford had included some form of trail recovery for people who are going to be putting the Bronco out in the wild.

At the end of the day, despite the many things that Ford has done a piss poor job with (like communication), overall, the Bronco is amazing.
Yes, you are bringing up a lot of great points. From your post, I am reminded of two things: there should be more attention to quality parts and systems overall in off road vehicles due to the fact that they are INTENDED to be in remote locations, and Ford really does need to do something about those B&O weak ass speakers.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford won at LeMans with the "new" (at the time) Ford GT, I'm pretty sure?
Not quite, first year all 3 cars were out of the race by the 12 hour mark before Shelby took over the program ;)

Sponsored

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not since the 60s, brutha. 😏
Ford won at LeMans with the "new" (at the time) Ford GT, I'm pretty sure?
Said tongue-in-cheek by a huge Ford fanboy... but seriously winning some races here and there... is nothing like Ford's "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" mindset from the late 60s.

For anyone who hasn't seen Ford v Ferrari... give it a look and you'll get some insight into Ford's glory days... (despite "The Deuce" and his corporate bean counters).
😎✌

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Service Advisor just forwarded me a copy of the Service Technician's technical write-up. I have redacted some of the personal information for privacy.

Thoughts? 🤔

Technical Write-Up.jpg
This is really interesting. In their diagnosis, the fuel pump motor seized, which then killed the module. I would have thought that an expected failure condition would be a fuel pump motor seize, which would have required the fuel pump driver module to be designed to handle that appropriately (rather than to become overloaded itself and then subsequently fail). I would have expected a failure in the opposite order, where the driver module fails, which then burns out the pump. Regardless, since I don't design or build cars, what I would have expected doesn't much matter.

This is good data to hopefully inform the "Bronco died on an incline" threads. Thank you for sharing it.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not quite, first year all 3 cars were out of the race by the 12 hour mark before Shelby took over the program ;)
Only the first year with 289s. Year 2 with the 427 was Ford 1, 2, 3... with all the Ferraris out. 😎✌

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a complex fuel delivery system and looks like a complete PITA. If I was going to guess a failure mode, it would be one of two things.

First, I would listen for any pump activation/sound. It would be really odd for the pump to shell itself out this early without any real warnings or funky sounds signaling its imminent demise. Assuming that there were no sounds or attempts to make pressure, I found this little nugget: "The FRP sensor sensor is located on the fuel rail and provides a feedback signal to indicate the fuel rail pressure to the PCM . The PCM uses the fuel rail pressure (FRP) signal to command the correct injector timing and pulse width for correct fuel delivery at all speed and load conditions. The FRP sensor, along with the fuel volume regulator (part of the fuel injection pump), form a closed loop fuel pressure control system.

An electrically faulted FRP sensor sensor results in the deactivation of the fuel injection pump. Fuel pressure to injectors is then provided only by the fuel pump (FP) assembly."

The FRP sensor is my number 2 culprit. Number 1 would be a lose connector on the fuel management module.
Speaking of loose connectors on the fuel management module, I did a quick Google search for C4336, the connector for the Bronco's Fuel Pump Control Module...

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] C4336

... and I ran across SSM 50661, a recent Special Service Message for other Ford vehicles...

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] SSM 50661

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is really interesting. In their diagnosis, the fuel pump motor seized, which then killed the module. I would have thought that an expected failure condition would be a fuel pump motor seize, which would have required the fuel pump driver module to be designed to handle that appropriately (rather than to become overloaded itself and then subsequently fail). I would have expected a failure in the opposite order, where the driver module fails, which then burns out the pump. Regardless, since I don't design or build cars, what I would have expected doesn't much matter.

This is good data to hopefully inform the "Bronco died on an incline" threads. Thank you for sharing it.
Still makes me want to consider a secondary inline pump hooked to an upfitter switch as insurance. 🤔
Sponsored