Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Service Advisor just forwarded me a copy of the Service Technician's technical write-up. I have redacted some of the personal information for privacy.

Thoughts? 🤔

Technical Write-Up.jpg
Imagining a "fuel pimp"... 😅
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Only the first year with 289s. Year 2 with the 427 was Ford 1, 2, 3... with all the Ferraris out. 😎✌
Yep, after 2 years of development. I've always loved the GT40's.

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still makes me want to consider a secondary inline pump hooked to an upfitter switch as insurance. 🤔
Completely agree. That said, it is already a complex fueling system. At some point adding more complexity (even for redundancy) will decrease overall reliability.
I'm pretty sure a dual fuel pump was never considered at Ford due to cost. Would be interesting to know if any of their race prepped Broncos (or Rapors I guess), have dual fuel pumps and how those systems were designed. If so, we would be best off cheating from their notes since they have the budget and incentive to design a strong system and have had opportunity to rigorously test it as well.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Completely agree. That said, it is already a complex fueling system. At some point adding more complexity (even for redundancy) will decrease overall reliability.
I'm pretty sure a dual fuel pump was never considered at Ford due to cost. Would be interesting to know if any of their race prepped Broncos (or Rapors I guess), have dual fuel pumps and how those systems were designed. If so, we would be best off cheating from their notes since they have the budget and incentive to design a strong system and have had opportunity to rigorously test it as well.
Until then.. @Razorbak86 has a story that scares the 💩 out of me. 😬

Last edited:

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just read an article that fuel pumps can go bad from old gas if a vehicle is parked for too long. Is that even a remote possibility here?
Just curious, do you remember which article, would love to give it a read.

I've gotten a number of vehicles up and going after sitting for a couple years and have only seen one problem with an in-tank pump where some algae/mold crap was growing in the tank and it plugged up the sock filter. Cleaned it off, flushed the tank with new fuel and it fired right up.

One of them had so much water in the tank, the pump bracket and float arm were really rusty. They looked like they were growing fur and once we emptied the old gas and filled with new, the pump went right to work and the rig started right up.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

nbennett14

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Fusion, 14 Fusion, 07 Expedition, 14 Grand Cherokee SRT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not quite, first year all 3 cars were out of the race by the 12 hour mark before Shelby took over the program ;)
Actually, Ford won just a few years ago when they brought back the Ford GT. They helped Chip Ganassi for a couple years then pulled the factory backed sponsorship. It might have been longer than a few years. Can't remember the year they redid the Ford GT.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update

My service advisor called shortly after noon and talked with me for 10 minutes. He said the service technician’s diagnosis is complete, and he confirmed that the fuel pump failed. The repair will be covered under the factory warranty, and he has already ordered replacement parts (e.g., fuel pump, Fuel Pump Driver Module, gasket). He also arranged for a temporary loaner vehicle from Hertz, which Ford will cover for 10 days and Hertz will bill directly to the dealership. :cool:

ETA for the parts may be available later today, but definitely by Monday at the latest.

When I asked him for more specifics on the failure, he offered the following comments...

Caveat: This is verbal info passed along from Service Technician > Service Advisor > me > you, so it may ultimately prove to be a bit inaccurate (i.e., telephone game).
Telephone Game.jpg

He said it was "an electrical short that quickly led to a mechanical failure," and basically, "the fuel pump is fried”.

He doesn’t currently know why it failed, but he doesn’t think it was directly related to the steep incline on the trail, because "the fuel pump was clearly submerged at that angle with 3/4 of the gasoline tank full."

Nevertheless, he graciously agreed to have the service technician document his findings and send me a screenshot of the write-up for my information, and that text will ultimately end up in the formal documentation when the vehicle is picked up post-service.

He informed me that I had a choice between a Rogue and a Tacoma at the Hertz dealership, and to pick whichever one I wanted after I arrived, so I chose the Tacoma, and it is now sitting in my garage as I type. 👍

Taco lovers unite! 🌮
My Service Advisor just forwarded me a copy of the Service Technician's technical write-up. I have redacted some of the personal information for privacy.

Thoughts? 🤔

Technical Write-Up.jpg
I spoke to my Service Advisor a few minutes ago to ask for any ETA on the parts required to complete my repair.

He said the Fuel Pump “Driver” Module (aka Fuel Pump “Control” Module, FPCM?) is already at the dealership. The Fuel Pump itself is not, but was ordered on Friday morning and is coming out of Nashville, which normally takes 5-7 days. He said it should arrive at the dealership sometime between Wednesday and Friday of this week. All other parts (e.g., tank O-ring seal) are already at the dealership. He said when all of the parts are in hand, they should be able to finish the work within 2-3 hours. Since my loaner vehicle is due back on the following Monday, he thinks I will have the Bronco back by then and won’t have to arrange for alternative transportation after the loaner due date.

I also mentioned that I was expecting to see Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) referenced in the tech’s service write-up? He sounded surprised, thinking that surely they were already included in the tech’s write-up, but as he read it (again? or for the first time?) while on the phone, he realized that no DTCs were addressed.

So I asked him to follow up and let me know what DTCs were logged and what Pinpoint Tests (PPTs) failed for the tech to determine the failure points. He wrote down a note to follow up as I was talking, saying the request was a little unusual and trying to think of how the requested information could be obtained without pushing the vehicle back into the shop again. 🤔

I told him that the tech had likely already done that work, simply to ensure that it would be covered under warranty and Ford would accept the charges, but he probably just didn’t document it in the initial write-up for me, so I wasn’t expecting the dealership to have to move the vehicle back into the shop to re-do any of the prior work.

He agreed to follow up and get back to me.

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I spoke to my Service Advisor a few minutes ago to ask for any ETA on the parts required to complete my repair.

He said the Fuel Pump “Driver” Module (aka Fuel Pump “Control” Module, FPCM?) is already at the dealership. The Fuel Pump itself is not, but was ordered on Friday morning and is coming out of Nashville, which normally takes 5-7 days. He said it should arrive at the dealership sometime between Wednesday and Friday of this week. All other parts (e.g., tank O-ring seal) are already at the dealership. He said when all of the parts are in hand, they should be able to finish the work within 2-3 hours. Since my loaner vehicle is due back on the following Monday, he thinks I will have the Bronco back by then and won’t have to arrange for alternative transportation after the loaner due date.

I also mentioned that I was expecting to see Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) referenced in the tech’s service write-up? He sounded surprised, thinking that surely they were already included in the tech’s write-up, but as he read it (again? or for the first time?) while on the phone, he realized that no DTCs were addressed.

So I asked him to follow up and let me know what DTCs were logged and what Pinpoint Tests (PPTs) failed for the tech to determine the failure points. He wrote down a note to follow up as I was talking, saying the request was a little unusual and trying to think of how the requested information could be obtained without pushing the vehicle back into the shop again. 🤔

I told him that the tech had likely already done that work, simply to ensure that it would be covered under warranty and Ford would accept the charges, but he probably just didn’t document it in the initial write-up for me, so I wasn’t expecting the dealership to have to move the vehicle back into the shop to re-do any of the prior work.

He agreed to follow up and get back to me.
Outstanding work on this. Amazing that the dealership is able to provide all this. Hopefully from the detailed tests and codes we can assess the order of failure. I still can't get over a brand new fuel pump dying and taking the control module with it.

I guess if a pump is going to fail due to a manufacturing defect it's most likely to fail early in it's life.

This is a nice saga to follow while I wait for my truck to be built and shipped. My blend was on Saturday and the wait now is worse than at any point in this whole process.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Update

My service advisor called shortly after noon and talked with me for 10 minutes. He said the service technician’s diagnosis is complete, and he confirmed that the fuel pump failed. The repair will be covered under the factory warranty, and he has already ordered replacement parts (e.g., fuel pump, Fuel Pump Driver Module, gasket). He also arranged for a temporary loaner vehicle from Hertz, which Ford will cover for 10 days and Hertz will bill directly to the dealership. :cool:

ETA for the parts may be available later today, but definitely by Monday at the latest.

When I asked him for more specifics on the failure, he offered the following comments...

Caveat: This is verbal info passed along from Service Technician > Service Advisor > me > you, so it may ultimately prove to be a bit inaccurate (i.e., telephone game).
Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] images (16)

He said it was "an electrical short that quickly led to a mechanical failure," and basically, "the fuel pump is fried”.

He doesn’t currently know why it failed, but he doesn’t think it was directly related to the steep incline on the trail, because "the fuel pump was clearly submerged at that angle with 3/4 of the gasoline tank full."

Nevertheless, he graciously agreed to have the service technician document his findings and send me a screenshot of the write-up for my information, and that text will ultimately end up in the formal documentation when the vehicle is picked up post-service.

He informed me that I had a choice between a Rogue and a Tacoma at the Hertz dealership, and to pick whichever one I wanted after I arrived, so I chose the Tacoma, and it is now sitting in my garage as I type. 👍

Taco lovers unite! 🌮
I wonder if this isn't related to electrical connectors getting submerged in water. When I was trailering boats it was always a never ending battle.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I wonder if this isn't related to electrical connectors getting submerged in water. When I was trailering boats it was always a never ending battle.
Never had a problem with my boat trailer after putting silicon grease on all the connections, including grounds.

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] Permatex-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease-3-OZ-22058-1
Sponsored