Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands,2017 F350, 2023 F150L, 1976 K20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know the process to replace the fuel pump? Is a fuel tank drop situation, or something that could be done in the trail?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know the process to replace the fuel pump? Is a fuel tank drop situation, or something that could be done in the trail?
The fuel pump assembly is submerged in the tank, and there is no access hole in the cargo bay, so the tank must be dropped to access it.

It's not impossible to do on the trail side, but it will be difficult due to the size, weight, location of connectors, and length of wiring. The removal and installation procedure in the Workshop Manual prints out to 10 full pages.

See the following post by @VoltageDrop, who is familiar with the tank removal process on a 4-door...

VoltageDrop said:
The tank is 4+ feet long and the skid plate alone is 50+ pounds so with 3/4 tank of fuel that is a tricky thing to do when not on level concrete. Also, the wiring and fuel lines aren't long enough to just let it drop to the ground so you have to partially drop it in a somewhat controlled manner.
I have also dropped the tank on my 4-door, using two ratchet straps to remove the factory skid plate and install aftermarket skids, and I can attest to how heavy the entire tank/skid assembly is, especially when the tank is full of fuel. For example, the 4-door tank holds 20.8 gallons, and fuel weighs 6 lbs/gallon, so the fuel alone weighs 125 lbs at 100% full.

Estimated weight of the entire tank/skid assembly, assuming 7/8th full of fuel, would be...

Factory skid plate: ~50 lbs.
Gas tank (zero fuel), with fuel pump assembly inside: ~20 lbs?
Fuel (7/8th full): ~109 lbs
-----------------------------
Tank/skid assembly, 7/8th full: ~179 lbs

B Wagon

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ 2.7 Cactus Grey 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hate to see new posts on this thread. I originally posted almost 3 weeks ago. My Bronco is still at my dealership with not one communication from the service team. I had to get pretty stern for them to even put me in something to drive in the meantime (a rental 2020 Fusion from Hertz that’s been heavily smoked in and needs an alignment and a Baptism). I left my 5th voicemail today with my assigned service tech/manager. My app alerted me today that the Bronco went into “deep sleep mode” which tells me it hasn’t been touched in a while. I’m trying to be understanding but I’m running out of empathy. I’ve messaged @Ford Motor Company here, any other contacts anyone would recommend?

CFBC7B23-549F-4695-97DA-764EBE2E351F.jpeg

Woods Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrac
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I hate to see new posts on this thread. I originally posted almost 3 weeks ago. My Bronco is still at my dealership with not one communication from the service team. I had to get pretty stern for them to even put me in something to drive in the meantime (a rental 2020 Fusion from Hertz that’s been heavily smoked in and needs an alignment and a Baptism). I left my 5th voicemail today with my assigned service tech/manager. My app alerted me today that the Bronco went into “deep sleep mode” which tells me it hasn’t been touched in a while. I’m trying to be understanding but I’m running out of empathy. I’ve messaged @Ford Motor Company here, any other contacts anyone would recommend?

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] CFBC7B23-549F-4695-97DA-764EBE2E351F
1-800-392-3673 customer care is the number I called and they assigned me a case number and so far have seemed to be moving the process along well.

FatThigh

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Door WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Happy to report that Gaudin Ford has managed to repair the Bronco and am now finally on the road and getting to enjoy my Bronco.

The Ford Customer Care folks did interface with the dealer service writer, which may have helped push things along and escalate the process.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happy to report that Gaudin Ford has managed to repair the Bronco and am now finally on the road and getting to enjoy my Bronco.

The Ford Customer Care folks did interface with the dealer service writer, which may have helped push things along and escalate the process.
Congratulations! :cool: Glad it’s fixed and back on the road again. (y)

If possible, can you share the tech write-up on your service invoice? (For example, see mine.) Thanks!

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure, I can scan it and upload it here - just got to wait till my wife brings the Bronco home tonight! She couldn't wait to take it out to work today!
Bump. ;)

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think it has to do with the local tow company they contract with here in Vegas... they are a complete joke. As of now the Bronco is still sitting in my driveway dead.

I have decided to pay for the tow myself just to get the dead Bronco back to the dealership since Ford Roadside has been of zero help to me... kind of shocked really.

Will update here to let everyone know the progress once it gets to the dealer.
Regarding Roadside Assistance: I have towing through my insurance, so I would use them (always responsive) instead of Ford.

FatThigh

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Door WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
See my service order attached...

serviceorder.jpg

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

See my service order attached...

serviceorder.jpg
Thanks for sharing your write-up. Very similar to mine, except my repair also replaced the fuel pump driver module in addition to the fuel sender and pump assembly and the tank gasket (large O-ring).

Sponsored

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for following up, @CUPRA. Same as @FatThigh‘s write-up, I see. (y)

Blueroach

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2.7 quit and wouldn't start again in the beginning of the trail in Moab. Got it towed to nearest dealer at midnight. Slept in my vehicle and tried to start it in the morning, and it started but quit again after running for 1 minute. Now I have this message on my Ford app. 4300 miles. What a disappointment this vehicle is. Seems like mine isn't the only Bronco with same issue stuck at this dealership right now. @Ford
Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] Screenshot_20220901-071913_FordPass

Last edited:

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Asking a question again from a few posts back...any 2.3L Broncos had fuel pump failures? Still seeing most if not all 2.7L.

Woods Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrac
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My 2.7 quit and wouldn't start again in the beginning of the trail in Moab. Got it towed to nearest dealer at midnight. Slept in my vehicle and tried to start it in the morning, and it started but quit again after running for 1 minute. Now I have this message on my Ford app. 4300 miles. What a disappointment this vehicle is. Seems like mine isn't the only Bronco with same issue stuck at this dealership right now. @Ford
Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] Screenshot_20220901-071913_FordPass
Yeah, my Bronco is still at the Ford dealership in Moab and has been for the last 3 weeks. Same issue, fuel pump related. The Ford dealer there was not so helpful and stated they could not get to it any time in August even though I was on vacation. The Ford rep is trying to find a delivery company to get it transported back to Texas so my local dealer can get it fixed. Let me know if you need the number to the Ford customer service department.

4C0ADA71-F085-4222-AC04-5F4B796719B1.jpeg
Sponsored