Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Bronco is at the Ford dealer in Texas finally. They got it up on the lift and noticed the fuel tank was dented in from where I got high centered when I was in Colorado. I had to winch myself off a boulder.

A week passed from this happened till when my Bronco died at Arches National Park in Moab. I canā€™t see how the dented gas tank would have broke the fuel system a week later. But Ford and the dealership is trying to say they might not cover the fuel pump issue because of the dented gas tank.

With all the others who have had this same codes and failure I hope they cover it!
Can you share any photos of the dent? Unless itā€™s directly under the pickup, I canā€™t think of any reason for it interfering with normal functionality, unless the shock of the hit itself damaged the pump?
Sponsored

Woods Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrac
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can you share any photos of the dent? Unless itā€™s directly under the pickup, I canā€™t think of any reason for it interfering with normal functionality, unless the shock of the hit itself damaged the pump?
Yeah, if I can get some Iā€™ll share them. As I mentioned, Iā€™m not debating that there is a dent in the gas tank but if it would have affected the fuel pump I would have thought it would not have been a week later after we had had already left Colorado and made it to Utah.

Sponsored

josephs6392

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1940 Ford roadster pickup, 1947 Ford 5W coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Fuel pump failed on my Bronco last night going 35 MPH in town. It sputtered for about a mile and I had to floor it to get into a parking lot where it limped to a halt. Had it towed to the dealership last night. Called them this morning and told them what I thought it was. They called back later and confirmed that it was the fuel pump as I suspected.
my Bronco has 23,743 miles on it so far with no other issues. They told me they will try to have the part by Monday. Picking up a rental tomorrow. All is covered under factory warranty.

Woods Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Fuel pump failed on my Bronco last night going 35 MPH in town. It sputtered for about a mile and I had to floor it to get into a parking lot where it limped to a halt. Had it towed to the dealership last night. Called them this morning and told them what I thought it was. They called back later and confirmed that it was the fuel pump as I suspected.
my Bronco has 23,743 miles on it so far with no other issues. They told me they will try to have the part by Monday. Picking up a rental tomorrow. All is covered under factory warranty.
Well mine was not covered under warranty because the dealer said I had a dent in my gas tank and there was no way of knowing if the fuel pump failure was related. Ford covered to have my Bronco transported from Moab to Texas and they paid for my rental card but I was still out $2900 for the Ford dealership to replace my fuel tank and fuel pump and one of the fuel tank braces.

so anyone who plans to go off-roading might seriously consider investing in a complete underbody skid plate system. It would have cost less than what I paid for my repair. JCR Off-road makes a great set of skid plates for the Bronco. I have just the engine skid plate but will now order the rest as soon as I recover from the repair expenses.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well mine was not covered under warranty because the dealer said I had a dent in my gas tank and there was no way of knowing if the fuel pump failure was related. Ford covered to have my Bronco transported from Moab to Texas and they paid for my rental card but I was still out $2900 for the Ford dealership to replace my fuel tank and fuel pump and one of the fuel tank braces.

so anyone who plans to go off-roading might seriously consider investing in a complete underbody skid plate system. It would have cost less than what I paid for my repair. JCR Off-road makes a great set of skid plates for the Bronco. I have just the engine skid plate but will now order the rest as soon as I recover from the repair expenses.

I wonder how much of that is at the discretion of the dealer and not Ford.

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, someone backs into your front fender and dents it, then your 2.7 engine fails. Dealer says, we wonā€™t cover that dropped valve because we have no idea if that dented fender caused it.
Ok, I get it, makes sense.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Another reason to buy a 2 door...

• Love
Reactions: 0ne

Sponsored
OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to hear that you had to eat a big chunk of your costs outside of the transport and rental car.

Please share any photos you have of the dented fuel tank and the text from the technician in the service invoice, if you can. Thanks.

Woods Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"No way to know" ?
Seems there's been a rash of fuel pump failures within some range of build-dates. They could check if your build is within the range of failures?

Must be pretty serious dent in the gas tank?
Did you get photos?

Lots of high-center rocks in dirt roads out west
Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] 150966FE-C7D3-4D56-A038-FD28DBCC09F6
Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] 4AB92B93-1E95-48E6-A77C-B1430E9BD301

bgautrea

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 335i BMW, 2014 Acura MDX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Happened to me today. On a trail.... Just came down a couple of fairly steep steps and it sputtered out. Pulled the codes and it showed a P0627 fuel pump circuit open code.

Towed down the trail then Ford roadside assistance towed it back to the dealership.

Waiting now. :(

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] PXL_20221015_171619813.MP

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] PXL_20221015_165450068.MP

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happened to me today. On a trail.... Just came down a couple of fairly steep steps and it sputtered out. Pulled the codes and it showed a P0627 fuel pump circuit open code.

Towed down the trail then Ford roadside assistance towed it back to the dealership.

Waiting now. :(

PXL_20221015_171619813.MP.jpg

PXL_20221015_165450068.MP.jpg
Ugh! Another 2.7L, but this time a 2-door. Sorry for your troubles. Been there, done that. :(

Glad you got it recovered quickly, though. At least it will be a warranty repair. (y)

Keep us posted.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

šŸ˜³ the dealer might have been right in this situation.

they couldā€™ve warrantied the pump but certainly not the smooshed tank.

to conclude that the pump just happened to fail coincidentally and that this huge dent in the tank is unrelated would seem unlikely.

although the other reported failures does cast a shadow of doubt.
Sponsored