Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder if Ford puts very much sponsorship into racing.?.? Seems both Ford and Dodge abandoned NASCAR way back in the 70’s… and are only half heartedly involved these days. Think it had to do with developing programs just to have them outlawed by the sanctioning bodies.
Sponsored

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's the only “FORD” acronym break down that matters.!

Federal Ownership Respectfully Declined.! ❤

They killed off Mercury, killed the Ranger and Sport Trac while GM and Chrysler went whining to Washington for tax dollars.!
Hope all this irrelevant BS helps the OP get his Bronco out of the woods.! 😀

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Seems both Ford and Dodge abandoned NASCAR way back in the 70’s… and are only half heartedly involved these days.
The same could be said about NASCAR too. :LOL:

Sponsored

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Bronco (2.7L) died today, deep into a remote trail… about 4 miles into a 10-mile-long trail with steep elevation changes, tight turns between narrow groups of trees, and deep mud holes. :(

That’s it below… hood up, exactly where it died, going down a decline with 21 degree pitch, trailing behind @kodiakisland's Bronco.

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] 1654137381980

For background, @kodiakisland and I were scouting potential trails for the next NWA trail run on June 14th, and @kodiakisland had briefly stopped for a photo, so I pulled up behind him with my foot on the brake. When the engine started to lug, I put the transmission in neutral, engaged the electronic parking brake, and then put the vehicle into park, and it immediately died.

Numerous attempts were made to get it to re-start, but the engine appears to be starved for fuel. The first thing I checked was the fuel pump fuse (Fuse #4, 30A, in the Under Hood Fuse Box), which was fine. The tank was 3/4 full after being topped off this morning with half a tank of regular unleaded before departure. No signs of water in the fuel tank. Popped the cover off the air filter housing and confirmed that the air filter is not clogged or otherwise blocked. The battery is fully charged and alternator is functioning well (i.e., both confirmed by meters on the IP display, 12.4V on battery, 13.3V with alternator charging under load at speed). The starter fires continuously like normal. The crankshaft turns smoothly, and the engine tries to fire, and sometimes does for one stroke, but then dies again. I also disconnected the battery and waited 20 minutes before retrying, but the results were the same.

My instinctive guess is a fuel pump failure (possibly infant mortality; 2,490 miles on the odometer), based on other recent threads posted on the forum, but I haven't had a chance to pull any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) or study the Technical Service Manual (TSM) for other possible problems. The vehicle is well beyond cell phone coverage, so it is unlikely that any DTCs would have been uploaded into the Mothership’s tracking system. If it's a fuel pump failure, that is going to present a difficult trail-side fix, because the gas tank will have to be dropped to access the pump.

Unfortunately, it's also going to be difficult to tow out for recovery, because of the aforementioned difficult trail access. :(

So the bad news is we pulled my Bronco off to the side of the trail and temporarily abandoned it deep in the woods this afternoon, and it is sitting on the trail side all alone in the dark tonight. 🙁

The good news is I hitched a ride home with @kodiakisland (Never wheel alone!), got some great photos, and saw three deer today! :)
So sorry this happened to you - but I love that you found a silver lining at the end of your post! Outlook is everything when life takes an unexpected turn. Hopefully it's a relatively straightforward fix (fuel pump) and not a dropped valve like others have reported in the 2.7 engine failure thread. If that IS the case though, and you financed, fight with Ford to get them to cover your payments while it's out for service. You shouldn't be experiencing this kind of failure before even 100k, let alone <2.5k on the odometer.

Wishing you luck for a quick fix and recovery. Might want to leave a dash cam onboard in case you have to leave it an additional night. You never know.

Cypher

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good luck, trail breakdowns suck.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could be worse, at least you didn’t have to do a recovery tow (but something tells me you’ll have to get someone out there). If I left any car anywhere round these parts overnight, it’d be on stilts in the morning:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update

Wow! Lots of activity on the thread while I was away, and the 50+ email notifications in my in-box was a real surprise. Thanks for the expressions of concern and support posted in this thread, in private forum conversations, and text messages to my cell phone.

It has been a very long day, but I am happy to report some good news! :)

Thanks to the help of two of my wheeling buddies, we successfully recovered my Bronco from the trail, and Ford's Roadside Assistance dispatched a tow truck to pick up the vehicle from the nearest paved road and transport it by flatbed to my chosen dealership. Most importantly, this would not have happened without the invaluable assistance of @kodiakisland and @Ragtop1962! 👏:love:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last ditch on fuel pumps, we tell people to smack the tank a few times with a rubber mallet to see if it will jar things loose to get you going to a safe location. Works about 25% of the time, usually happens just after a fill up on a very hot day. If the thing just electrically crapped out this won't help but if it's a connection issue or pump motor is at a bad spot internally, it might get it going again. Since you're already out and have to go back for retrieval, you might give this a try before dragging.
Kick the bottom of the fuel tank with a steel toed boot, We do it all the time to get the fuel pump to work one more time to get it in the shop. Do not shut off till you got it where you want it
That was one of the first things I tried when I returned to the vehicle today. That would have made things sooooo much easier, but it didn't work, unfortunately. Nevertheless, we worked around it.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Was a fairly easy extraction with 2 Broncos hooked up on the 22 degree incline of loose gravel and rock. There was absolutely no way mine was going to do it by itself, which is why we didn't do that the first day. There was also no way it was going out the other way, which took me over 3 hours to complete with several high centering issues without actually dragging a dead Bronco behind it.

Leaving a vehicle over night is no big deal in the areas we frequent. I can't help it if some of you choose to live in high crime areas and think anything left over night is instantly forfeited, but around here it's not a big deal. Especially back where this one was. Finding it vandalized or damaged was absolutely the least of our worries. We also tend to frequent trails that have very low usage, unlike the tourist trails many seem to live on. If we were to see another vehicle out there, it was too crowed.

Was another fun day in the woods, even if the reason to be there wasn't fun.

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m surprised the guy with him didn’t try and tow him out.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️
Was a fairly easy extraction with 2 Broncos hooked up on the 22 degree incline of loose gravel and rock. There was absolutely no way mine was going to do it by itself, which is why we didn't do that the first day.
True story! @kodiakisland's instrument panel as we were going downhill this afternoon approaching the dead Bronco, before we pulled the vehicle around 180 degrees and pulled it back up the same incline....

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] 4961326A-8690-4EC0-9FC8-FF3FD40E22B9

There was no way a 2D Black Diamond with a rear locker and 2.3L powerplant was going to pull my "fat pig" (i.e., 4D Badlands, 2.7L, 10AT, Sasquatch) up that same 22 degree incline by itself, but *two* 2D Black Diamonds with rear lockers and 2.3L powerplants, working in series, pulled it off. So I bow to my smaller, but capable BD brethren. 👏😁

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This might sound stupid or obvious, but is there any chance you ran out of gas? This happened to me one time on a high mountain road in the backcountry. After getting it towed into town, I discovered some part in the gas gauge was broken, showing half a tank when it was actually empty.
Susan, I'm sorry that I missed your question earlier. The gas tank was over 3/4 full (see Ford app screenshot below). I just filled the tank yesterday morning, before heading south and hitting the trail.

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] 69573FB3-5B3A-4037-A765-3DF98F8FB2AD

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs