John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My Bronco (2.7L) died today, deep into a remote trail… about 4 miles into a 10-mile-long trail with steep elevation changes, tight turns between narrow groups of trees, and deep mud holes. :(

That’s it below… hood up, exactly where it died, going down a decline with 21 degree pitch, trailing behind @kodiakisland's Bronco.

1ED6BE79-AC9A-4F96-B698-75735C4E2D6D.jpeg

For background, @kodiakisland and I were scouting potential trails for the next NWA trail run on June 14th, and @kodiakisland had briefly stopped for a photo, so I pulled up behind him with my foot on the brake. When the engine started to lug, I put the transmission in neutral, engaged the electronic parking brake, and then put the vehicle into park, and it immediately died.

Numerous attempts were made to get it to re-start, but the engine appears to be starved for fuel. The first thing I checked was the fuel pump fuse (Fuse #4, 30A, in the Under Hood Fuse Box), which was fine. The tank was 3/4 full after being topped off this morning with half a tank of regular unleaded before departure. No signs of water in the fuel tank. Popped the cover off the air filter housing and confirmed that the air filter is not clogged or otherwise blocked. The battery is fully charged and alternator is functioning well (i.e., both confirmed by meters on the IP display, 12.4V on battery, 13.3V with alternator charging under load at speed). The starter fires continuously like normal. The crankshaft turns smoothly, and the engine tries to fire, and sometimes does for one stroke, but then dies again. I also disconnected the battery and waited 20 minutes before retrying, but the results were the same.

My instinctive guess is a fuel pump failure (possibly infant mortality; 2,490 miles on the odometer), based on other recent threads posted on the forum, but I haven't had a chance to pull any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) or study the Technical Service Manual (TSM) for other possible problems. The vehicle is well beyond cell phone coverage, so it is unlikely that any DTCs would have been uploaded into the Mothership’s tracking system. If it's a fuel pump failure, that is going to present a difficult trail-side fix, because the gas tank will have to be dropped to access the pump.

Unfortunately, it's also going to be difficult to tow out for recovery, because of the aforementioned difficult trail access. :(

So the bad news is we pulled my Bronco off to the side of the trail and temporarily abandoned it deep in the woods this afternoon, and it is sitting on the trail side all alone in the dark tonight. 🙁

The good news is I hitched a ride home with @kodiakisland (Never wheel alone!), got some great photos, and saw three deer today! :)
Thats a real bummer to break down in the woods like that. Call Matt's Off-Road Recovery! I hope you'll update us as to the solution!
Sponsored

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not really confidence inducing. Especially considering our family vacations to the Colorado mountains where there is no cell phone coverage and we can be in the woods for hours without seeing another person.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

makes me consider buying a spare fuel pump for any trip off road...

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When you turn the ignition on the fuel pump should run for a few seconds. This primes the system. Do you hear the pump run? If so the problem may not be the fuel pump at all. The problem could be a hundred other things. A quick test is to see if your engine runs on an alternate fuel. Spray some carb cleaner or brake cleaner into the intake. If you have a fuel problem your engine will start up and run momentarily. If the problem isn't fuel , the engine won't even try to start.

Jkenosh

Big Bend
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 f250 2019 renegade, ram1500, 2020 challenger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Kick the bottom of the fuel tank with a steel toed boot, We do it all the time to get the fuel pump to work one more time to get it in the shop. Do not shut off till you got it where you want it

Sponsored

Lanman

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS e-tron GT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is it possible (without blowing up the Bronco ) to loosen the fuel line on the engine side of the fuel pump and then turn the ignition on to see if the fuel pump is in fact pumping fuel?

*** Please note that I am not a mechanic and I did not stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

makes me consider buying a spare fuel pump for any trip off road...
Lol Yeah the spare fuel pump can sit next to our spare tie rods and tools. The pump does look easy to get too least from that diagram posted.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you can get your hands on a fuel pump you can change that on the trail with simple hand tools they’re really not that hard to change. I seen someone mentioned the pump in the engine bay. Does that mean the bronco has a in tank fuel basket pump and a inline pump?
There's one on the engine driven by a camshaft. It's under a black foam cover. Looks like this.

gdp206_3.jpg

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thats a real bummer to break down in the woods like that. Call Matt's Off-Road Recovery! I hope you'll update us as to the solution!
Ha! Yes, and then have your attorney send Ford the bill.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it possible (without blowing up the Bronco ) to loosen the fuel line on the engine side of the fuel pump and then turn the ignition on to see if the fuel pump is in fact pumping fuel?

*** Please note that I am not a mechanic and I did not stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night.
Yes, but if it is working it will spray alot of fuel. It's a quick disconnect RR of engine by DI pump

fuelqd2.png

fuelqd1.png

Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone needs one of these, Android or IOS and this free app. Cheap and works, no cords and takes up zero space. Used them for years. I'd read codes before I started replacing a pump(s) on the trail. There's 4 other things it could be according to Jimmiee's diagram and this hasn't happened to enough folks yet to start throwing parts at it yet imo.

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] Screenshot_20220601-095027_Samsung Internet
Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] Screenshot_20220601-095101_Torque

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have vehicles to come help pull you out. Just say when and I can drive up there and meet you. The Land Boozer is ready to pull. Just send me a message in forums and I can share my phone number with you.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone needs one of these, Android or IOS and this free app. Cheap and works, no cords and takes up zero space. Used them for years. I'd read codes before I started replacing a pump(s) on the trail. There's 4 other things it could be according to Jimmiee's diagram and this hasn't happened to enough folks yet to start throwing parts at it yet imo.

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] Screenshot_20220601-095101_Torque
I have one and it works great. Simple and gets you some idea of what’s happening.
Sponsored