Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can't believe Ford thinks these roofs are acceptable.
They should all be replaced, Ford's cost of course. I would suggest full fiberglass just like truck toppers are made or an all aluminum (which they should have done in the first place). From what I heard long ago, the test tops were all made in Webasto's Europe plant.....no issues. All these retail tops are made here. You would think it would not be that difficult to figure out what is going wrong with these. I have tagged FORD multiple times here on this issue....crickets.
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'll be honest the hardtop looks better than the cloth, but that's the only benefit I see. These things have had issues since the start. Very happy as a Michigander that I did not go with the hardtop.
Most hardtops work well, and this case seems like an outlier, and Ford already told the customer they'd back it. Im quite happy with mine.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not hard to understand at all as you don't know OP's living set-up. For example, my garage is under my main living area that has 2 large picture windows that overlook my driveway and beyond. Thus, I end up looking at the roof of my wifes BL and my F150 on a daily basis. Had this happened to us we would have noticed immediately as well.

That some grade-A "my dealer said..." bs right there. I actually lol'd at that one. The tops are made outside of Detroit by Webasto.
It does say Webasto's largest plant worldwide is in Wuhan, China.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is no gel coat on these tops. The exterior is the plastic sheet. But a delamination due to process seems like a good guess.
You’re right, poly urethane foam core probably not bonding to the poly plastic.. damn you Germany! Webasto is the company that makes them

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They should all be replaced, Ford's cost of course. I would suggest full fiberglass just like truck toppers are made or an all aluminum (which they should have done in the first place). From what I heard long ago, the test tops were all made in Webasto's Europe plant.....no issues. All these retail tops are made here. You would think it would not be that difficult to figure out what is going wrong with these. I have tagged FORD multiple times here on this issue....crickets.
You would think after the Bronco's generations prior and all being removable hard tops and zero issues I know of that Ford engineers would have this hard top system mastered. I've owned way too many various generation Bronco's and never heard of or witnessed any issues. If it ain't broken, don't recreate the mold.

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everything your dealer told you was false. Webasto still produces the MIC in greater Detroit. The location in Europe is where their R&D center is, that produced their first prototypes in a lab setting. Some of the early tops did come from there, but not for quite a while. And the tooling for the tops did in fact come from Wuhan, but not the tops.
I’ve been told the resin material comes from China. A little birdy told me a US resin company is trying to get their material qualified at Webasto due to “numerous quality issues with crappy Chinese product”. 🤞

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My house has a neat feature called “windows.”
Yep. I would have noticed that from standing on the ground. I am anal and see anything that is "different".

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I worry about what happens when these issues manifest themselves right after your warranties are up. How much is a replacement top going to cost. I've been on the fence regarding MIC vs. Soft top, and have been leaning towards the soft top though there seems to be teething issues there as well, mostly with broken clips on the rear side panels.
My fear as well. I plan to keep my Bronco for decades....like many things, a month after the 36 month warranty is up and it will crack. Love my Bronco but this top, long term, has me concerned.

Tryingtogetabronco

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Jeep will gladly manufacture Bronco hardtops. I have had 4 Jeep wrangler Jl's not 1 hard top issue at all.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford did not deny the warranty
My point is that your dealer should be your advocate and file the warranty claim. You shouldn't have to go directly to Ford.

Sponsored

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For context it was -11 degrees here (-28 with windchill) this weekend
It was -40 with the wind chill around here recently
The temps in the NE this last week will show if this is a problem systemically. I bet there is a pretty good sample size that were tested in the record setting -100 wind chills.
Just here to point out that wind chill only affects living tissue, not inanimate objects. So if the temp is -10 and the wind chill is -100, that means the skin on your nose is -100, but your MIC top is still only -10.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's too early in the morning to have to read this nonsense. Wuhan? Really? :rolleyes:
Was the second plant the one in China or Italy? Also, Ford owns the quality of its suppliers. I think it's a "get what you pay for" issue. Still, I would rather deal with occasional touch-ups and repairs than a $6,000+ aftermarket top. A better deal for customers would be a top redesign with better quality materials and a higher price tag. The Anderson and Advanced Fiberglass versions are so expensive because they have small production scales. The material cost differences are probably <$1000.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow. Ford needs a clean-sheet-of-paper redesign effort on these roofs.
i suspect that the refresh will do away with the MIC top and the standard HC will become the MOD top

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You’re right, poly urethane foam core probably not bonding to the poly plastic.. damn you Germany! Webasto is the company that makes them
I blew my driver's panel off the car in October 2021, becoming the inaugural member of the Bronco FRC. Mine tumbled down the highway at 50 mph. I was impressed at the strength. It is a heat fused laminate: plastic sheet, fiberglass cloth, resin, and in the thick areas, a resin-infused corrugated paper . . . Same as some aircraft construction. I repaired mine with epoxy and carbon powder for color, and its held up well. (I was a boat-building repair amateur for many years). Very strong and light construction. My opinion is that 99% of these tops work well and hold up. 1% have construction flaws that show, like the OPs rear cap. You note that the OP's other panels are fine. Below are pics of my panel before and after repair, when i forgot to latch it.

Ford Bronco My Bronco MIC hardtop cracked in cold (-11 degrees) SmartSelect_20230208_130432_Gallery

Ford Bronco My Bronco MIC hardtop cracked in cold (-11 degrees) SmartSelect_20230208_130553_Gallery

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco My Bronco MIC hardtop cracked in cold (-11 degrees) 7afvj4
Sponsored