Sponsored

My Bronco sucks off-road! Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

To Ford and anyone who will listen. The Bronco Sasquatch is terrible. The tires, fender design destroy the vehicle.

My family has some land and I have to drive 40 miles each way down a county dirt road to access it.
After just driving around town I already had two chips in my door due to the tires picking up rocks so I had PPF installed on all four doors, this cost me almost $1,000
After traveling to my families land this last weekend I was appalled at what I found when I returned home and washed my Bronco. My rear fenders are trashed, one door handle torn up and my PPF is destroyed. I also took a rock chip on the front of the door even ahead of where the PPF is located on the passenger front door.

How can Ford sell a vehicle that literally rips its self apart driving down a county dirt road??

For reference, I've owned a 2011 FJ Cruiser, 2015 F-150, 2017 F-250 and 2018 Ford Raptor. These vehicles all took dozens of trips down the same road and never took any damage at all. One trip with my Bronco and I'm sure I have hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in damage to the vehicle.

Ford, How I am supposed to take this vehicle off-road without destroying it?!

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg
That sucks. Does not look like your tires stick out past the fenders. What tires are those? I went with Falken ATw3s and have not noticed any chipping. They are 265 / 70 r16s. I did not want to go too fat for weight, performance in snow and mud reasons.
Sponsored

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe Ford need to use a other tire for the Sasquatch.I was going keep the Sasquatch tires and just replace the wheels but I might change out the tires also now after reading a few posts about chips from the tires.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How can Ford sell a vehicle that literally rips its self apart driving down a county dirt road??
The problem is it keeps the rocks in the tires, when you hit open pavement and speed up it just slings them off.
Ford, How I am supposed to take this vehicle off-road without destroying it?!
New tires? Mud flaps? Wide steps?

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
and in other news…..dammit Ford, why is my double decaf latte spilling when secured in the cup holder…I know I bought a Bronco, but, but, but it’s supposed to ride like a Lexus!
giphy.gif

Sponsored

joeramirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there a listing of immediate practical mods needed for these things? I'm thinking about that hose that gets cut in 2.7Ls, and now bigger fender flares/ mud flaps.

Anyone else able to point me to a link for a thread like this?
I can't remember exactly but there have been a couple with electrical issues because the fuse box was not properly bolted on. Also when removing the doors to use the protector provided so you don't scrape the paint.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“Destroyed” seems like a big stretch - I was expecting carnage when I opened this thread. I had to look hard to see the “destroyed” door handle damage, and the fenders can hardly be called the same. They show some dings but are intact and functional. So let’s call what happened to you “cosmetic damage”. And I do feel for you, that sucks on a brand-new vehicle.

The Goodyears have been identified as an issue with throwing rocks so that’s your main culprit. Mud flaps will trap a lot of the flying debris - in these parts I won’t run a vehicle without them. Easily replaced parts if you damage them when off-roading, or take them off before hitting the trail.

Are there any other vehicles using this tire under a different name? I’d be curious to hear if any other OEMs have these problems.

My .02

Sponsored
OP
OP
LLL

LLL

Badlands
First Name
Lyndon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My favorite part of this story is when you took your offroad truck, offroad, then offroad stuff happened and you were shocked.
I agree, but really though. It's a county road. Not an off road park, desert racing or OHV area. A county owned and maintained dirt road. Four previous trucks and never a single rock chip or noticeable damage from driving on it. Come home with the bronco, appalled at what I found.

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry OP. There have been several recent threads pointing out this problem. It’s why I have decided to try to talk my dealer into swapping tires. Still want an AT type of tire, but not as aggressive as SAS standard equipment. If not, I’ll try my normal tire store (Discount Tire) and try for a trade in. Don’t know if tire stores do that. If not, I’ll probably just buy new tires that don’t seem as prone to rock casting and sell the OEM tires. Second thing will be some mud flaps. Most of the photos of new Broncos with SAS (and even some non-SAS) show a lot of crap slung onto the doors, so this was probably predictable.

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree, but really though. It's a county road. Not an off road park, desert racing or OHV area. A county owned and maintained dirt road. Four previous trucks and never a single rock chip or noticeable damage from driving on it. Come home with the bronco, appalled at what I found.
I got nothing…

Ford Bronco My Bronco sucks off-road!  Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads. 1637698381733
Sponsored