Sponsored

My Bronco sucks off-road! Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious, how is driving on a gravel road driving "off-road"? Your Bronco doesn't "suck off-road"... it has enormous off-road tires that throw gravel.
She's definitely a major drama queen...she posted the same thing on Facebook about how bad it is off road. As far as I can tell...she's never had it off road.
Sponsored

Mikesmallcrawler21

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 F150 screw
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

To Ford and anyone who will listen. The Bronco Sasquatch is terrible. The tires, fender design destroy the vehicle.

My family has some land and I have to drive 40 miles each way down a county dirt road to access it.
After just driving around town I already had two chips in my door due to the tires picking up rocks so I had PPF installed on all four doors, this cost me almost $1,000
After traveling to my families land this last weekend I was appalled at what I found when I returned home and washed my Bronco. My rear fenders are trashed, one door handle torn up and my PPF is destroyed. I also took a rock chip on the front of the door even ahead of where the PPF is located on the passenger front door.

How can Ford sell a vehicle that literally rips its self apart driving down a county dirt road??

For reference, I've owned a 2011 FJ Cruiser, 2015 F-150, 2017 F-250 and 2018 Ford Raptor. These vehicles all took dozens of trips down the same road and never took any damage at all. One trip with my Bronco and I'm sure I have hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in damage to the vehicle.

Ford, How I am supposed to take this vehicle off-road without destroying it?!

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

TIRES TIRES TIRES
I'm thinking aluminum flexes too much with rock dings, maybe not. Who knows... but... those GOODFORAYEAR TIRES, replace them with more open design

Hbrichman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll definitely be looking into mud flaps, when my Bronco arrives. My Bronco is an Outer Banks, with the Sasquatch package. I know it comes with running boards. I'm wondering if they're sufficient to prevent damage? I'd love to hear from someone with the same set up.
I believe the running boards will prevent a lot of this damage to an extent. I can’t find the post, but somebody had a picture of the underside of their running boards and they were eaten alive by rock chips.

8421dave

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Sequoia, 20 Volvo S60, 62 Impala Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I put these on the second day I had it (universal flaps cut and drilled to fit). They keep the main body protected but the rear door handle and fender flare still get crap. I'm going to replace with a slightly longer flap that should fix the issue.

20211113_141648.jpg

20211113_141655.jpg

20211116_171731.jpg
Where did you find these? I need something before I get all tore up…

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I was in the army our 5ton duals would pick up rocks between the two tires the size of softballs. It doesn’t matter the tread separation it will just pick up bigger rocks.

Sponsored

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'll definitely be looking into mud flaps, when my Bronco arrives. My Bronco is an Outer Banks, with the Sasquatch package. I know it comes with running boards. I'm wondering if they're sufficient to prevent damage? I'd love to hear from someone with the same set up.
In my experience, yes the OB side steps are sufficient for me and I only put them on when we’re going out. There’s a gap at the front of the side steps that can be covered with mud flaps, but I’ve only found two chips in that area after at least 7 weekends so far off road and often driving high speed over washboard and gravel roads to get there. Personally I can’t stomach the appearance of mud flaps, especially not all the time, just to save myself from two chips that were fixed in 30 minutes with dabs of touch up paint.

I’ve posted this photo several times to show the amount of damage that the underside of the side steps absorb. The white dots are not mud or dirt.

Ford Bronco My Bronco sucks off-road!  Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads. 81AB41EA-4F68-4290-BAB4-7F59BDFE7F98

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I put these on the second day I had it (universal flaps cut and drilled to fit). They keep the main body protected but the rear door handle and fender flare still get crap. I'm going to replace with a slightly longer flap that should fix the issue.

Ford Bronco My Bronco sucks off-road!  Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads. 81AB41EA-4F68-4290-BAB4-7F59BDFE7F98

Do you have a link to the specific ones you ordered?

West1

Base
First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base with OBX wheels
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There was a similar post some time back. The consensus for a resolution was use universal mud flaps (as opposed to the expensive ones from Ford) and side steps. Sorry you are having this issue.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
To Ford and anyone who will listen. The Bronco Sasquatch is terrible. The tires, fender design destroy the vehicle.

My family has some land and I have to drive 40 miles each way down a county dirt road to access it.
After just driving around town I already had two chips in my door due to the tires picking up rocks so I had PPF installed on all four doors, this cost me almost $1,000
After traveling to my families land this last weekend I was appalled at what I found when I returned home and washed my Bronco. My rear fenders are trashed, one door handle torn up and my PPF is destroyed. I also took a rock chip on the front of the door even ahead of where the PPF is located on the passenger front door.

How can Ford sell a vehicle that literally rips its self apart driving down a county dirt road??

For reference, I've owned a 2011 FJ Cruiser, 2015 F-150, 2017 F-250 and 2018 Ford Raptor. These vehicles all took dozens of trips down the same road and never took any damage at all. One trip with my Bronco and I'm sure I have hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in damage to the vehicle.

Ford, How I am supposed to take this vehicle off-road without destroying it?!

Even cars with all season tires get rock chips on gravel roads. Big aggressive off road tires are going to make it that much worse obviously. The only thing Ford could do is fender flares that completely cover the tire like a mud flap, then everyone would wine and complain about how bad it looks. Your best option is mud flaps.

Sponsored

DwnSth

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2013 F150, 2014 GC, 2002 TJ,
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My favorite part of this story is when you took your offroad truck, offroad, then offroad stuff happened and you were shocked.
My favorite part of the story is that the brand new Bronco is going to look older than my 20 year old TJ in a few months. I've wheeled the hell out of it and it still shines up like new. No vehicle should be damaged by a forest service road or any gravel road.

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rock issues is one of the reasons I went with a non sasquatch badlands. The tucked in tires just makes sense to me.

I get the vibe Ford Engineers designed the badlands to run 33 inch tires, but managed to "make" 35 inch tires work.

Hmmmmmm

Last edited:

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you have a link to the specific ones you ordered?
I grabbed them from my work, we had a stack of these. Any universal flap should work fine. I need to get some measurements off these as a few people were interested.
Sponsored