Sponsored

My Bronco sucks off-road! Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads.

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

To Ford and anyone who will listen. The Bronco Sasquatch is terrible. The tires, fender design destroy the vehicle.

My family has some land and I have to drive 40 miles each way down a county dirt road to access it.
After just driving around town I already had two chips in my door due to the tires picking up rocks so I had PPF installed on all four doors, this cost me almost $1,000
After traveling to my families land this last weekend I was appalled at what I found when I returned home and washed my Bronco. My rear fenders are trashed, one door handle torn up and my PPF is destroyed. I also took a rock chip on the front of the door even ahead of where the PPF is located on the passenger front door.

How can Ford sell a vehicle that literally rips its self apart driving down a county dirt road??

For reference, I've owned a 2011 FJ Cruiser, 2015 F-150, 2017 F-250 and 2018 Ford Raptor. These vehicles all took dozens of trips down the same road and never took any damage at all. One trip with my Bronco and I'm sure I have hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in damage to the vehicle.

Ford, How I am supposed to take this vehicle off-road without destroying it?!

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hate to see how everyone reacts when they find out most models will have this issue. I have a stock BD with General Grabbers and those bastards Chuck rocks about halfway up my door all the time. Will definitely be getting mud flaps as I don't want to get knocked out while driving with doors off lol

Ronaldo

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71bronco67cvMustangFFRCobra97Viper93RX7R1
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m sure almost any person that didn’t get the Sasquatch package would exchange your horrible wheels and tires with you. Hell I’ll reorder my base Sasquatch to base steel wheels and skinny tires and exchange with you so you won’t get those chips anymore.
MUDFLAPS!

Sponsored

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's as if an Goodyear engineer set out to specifically create the perfect size tread grove to accommodate the most common gravel/pebble dimensions found on the planet. The absolute worst design.
Oh!
Goodyear!
Say no more...

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish Ford did a thicker gel coat to the lower portion of the doors. My silverado from 2014 has that and its been really nice feature. You can see when you look at the paint that is thicker and "globby" but I have 0 paint chips in the areas with that protection.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious, how is driving on a gravel road driving "off-road"? Your Bronco doesn't "suck off-road"... it has enormous off-road tires that throw gravel.

While I can sympathize that Ford should have included the $1000 mud flaps as standard fitment, you could have spent the money yourself and likely saved your paint.

There are many threads on this forum about stone chips, mud flaps, how the engineer who designed the tires should be ashamed, etc. Any one of them would likely have helped you prepare for this eventuality.
if it is an unpaved, dirt/gravel road - technically, it is "off-road"

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 3.14.56 PM.png

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mini cooper, 2020 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This topic reminds me of the guy on the gladiator forum (maybe FB gladiator page, i forget) that complained about how bad his gladiator was in the snow.

He was driving M/T’s 😂

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mini cooper, 2020 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 3.14.56 PM.png
No one is debating what the term off-road means so I’m not sure why you’re bringing that up. If I said, “the Bronco sucks off road,” you’re not going to immediately think, “oh I bet it’s because your mud tires kick rocks at the paint.”

The way he phrased this would lead most to believe the Bronco is not up to par for off roading. The opposite is true and the issue he is having is that he’s damaging his car going off road. Completely different things.

Sponsored

bronco3

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
For what it's worth, I have the same issue on my Tacoma. It has factory mud flaps, and factory rockguard partway up the door. The Goodyear All-Terrain tires chipped the rockguard and rear fender flares. I think I need mud flaps AND running boards (or rock rails that extend out further than Ford's rock rails, with a top plate).

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If all the privilege in the world could be summarized in a forum post, this would just about be the rallying cry.

You bought a big off road vehicle with the largest set of off-road tires that have been put on a mass-produced vehicle and your pissing and moaning is about....... Rock chips. (something that is incredibly common to occur when driving off road)

As if you were "forced" to put paint protection film on the vehicle (which was never going to protect it from damage incurred while actually driving your off road vehicle off road.) Instead the interstate has you all hot and bothered on the keyboard of justice.

Look, this is going to be a difficult pill to swallow, but they make a much better vehicle for folks that like to keep the beauty of their ride for a long period of time. no rocks thrown up by these peaches of low-rolling-resistance tires! Maybe trading in for this would help camp the anger?

1280px-2016_Toyota_Prius_(ZVW50R)_Hybrid_liftback_(2016-04-02)_01[1].jpg
Sadly..I believe that a number of current/future Bronco owners may be coming from this type or similar vehicle so getting a paint chip is akin to breaking a nail which, of course must mean the end of the world is coming 🤦

Last edited:

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco My Bronco sucks off-road!  Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads. 20211103115403-9a602cb5-me
Technically, if something is a type of road, i.e. a DIRT ROAD, it is a road... so it's not off-road.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was wincing the entire time i drove down a 10 mile gravel road in my sas AMB obx. I made sure to not exceed 20 mph and could hear the rocks being thrown everywhere. Luckily, i have side steps. I kept my arm out the window as far down as I could reach to see if the sound was rocks hitting my hand/doors or the side steps. Thankfully, the steps seem to have caught a vast majority. I guess this is a simple problem mudflaps would solve, but given the looks, i'll just stick with my side steps for protection. Understood how much more damaging it would be for those without steps taking this at higher speeds.
Sponsored