Sponsored

My Bronco sucks off-road! Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads.

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I put these on the second day I had it (universal flaps cut and drilled to fit). They keep the main body protected but the rear door handle and fender flare still get crap. I'm going to replace with a slightly longer flap that should fix the issue.

20211113_141648.jpg

20211113_141655.jpg

20211116_171731.jpg
Great job with those flaps! What brand are they and where did you get them?
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think this is right . . . there are other threads that specifically refer to this. These Goodyear shoes trap a ton of rocks and throw them about, apparently MUCH more than other popular off-road tire choices. I am going with a set of Mickey Thompsons almost immediately after delivery of my Bronco.
A lot of people still aren't willing to accept it but just look at the tread pattern, it's a gravel magnet. All that extra siping that makes them good performers has a downside. If the lugs were solid they wouldn't throw nearly as bad.

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I grabbed them from my work, we had a stack of these. Any universal flap should work fine. I need to get some measurements off these as a few people were interested.
Yes, measurements would be great, thank you!

Kel

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kelechi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Chevy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Uhm change your road maybe 🤔

Sponsored

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the space between the body and rail big enough for gravel to get through? I can see mud/water can easily get through.
I’m going to have this same problem with my Bronco so I’d like to find a solution.
what’s odd is that I don’t remember any rocks flipping up on the bronco during Off Roadeo in NV (all rock/gravel trails).
I agree, I don't remember beat up fenders and rock chips being a problem on the Broncos at Nevada Off Rodeo. Even when they made us walk around the vehicle and check for damage (we were LOOKING for issues), there did not appear to be any problems.

TurboS957

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was considering replacing the rock rails with the running boards or another type rock rail that doubles as a step therefore physically protecting the sides, along with PPF which I have on all my vehicles.

TurboS957

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My wrangler has painted fenders with OEM rock rails and the PPF on the leading edge of the rear fenders takes a beating and I have never had it on a dirt road.

Sponsored

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going to be all set! and everyone will know to back off 🤪

e4f9105529d2f22b01d61f18a489aca7.jpeg
Hey, those are made by Plasticolor who make really durable flaps . . . they are the only ones that are fiberglass reinforced so they can take a beating without tearing or failing in tough off-road conditions. They also make non-Yosemite Sam flaps . . . they have Ford Oval versions (officially licensed) as well as generic/black designs. I think you can find them on MyCoolCarStuff.com store.

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My Bronco is a Sasquatch so no crash bars from the factory, the flaps are on the front of my Outer Banks SAS. The picture of the rear flare shows all the snow/slush that is being thrown on the rear flare.

20211113_141632.jpg
Where did you get the flaps? (Sorry if you answer it elsewhere).

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Go get super swampers, they only pick up boulders. As for those other vehicles, take them anywhere other than a gravel road and you will drag sheet metal across trees, rocks, and everything else. Also all real offroaders know that the solution to rocks getting thrown up is in the garden section of your local hardware store. Atleast the landscape edging is, self tappers are in aisle 3.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s actually amazing off road. You bought a cheat code. Capabilities are off the f’n charts.

it does toss gravel and the tires sling rocks. Adapt or suffer. Maybe buy a baby Bronco and your expectations match the vehicle.
Sponsored