Sponsored

My Bronco sucks off-road! Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads.

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mini cooper, 2020 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wait. It's an off-road vehicle. It's going to get dirty and get rock chips near the wheels on the fenders and doors. If you want the cool look of big fat tires on an off-road rig, guess what? The fenders are going to get chipped up; it's just a factor of the vehicle design. Take the top and doors off and drive off road, guess what? The interior is going to get dirty and eff'd up. That's why it's cheap-looking PLASTIC.

OP, if you want to really protect the paint, go to a Line-X shop and have them paint the areas of concerned with body-color hard-coat. But to say your Bronco "sucks off road" because it gets a few paint chips that you have to put the camera lens 3-inches away from to photograph is a bit Drama-Queen'ish. Honestly, the Bronco is not for you if you have such concerns.

If you don't want a real off-road SUV that is suceptible to rock chips and dirt, trade in your Bronce (they are hot sellers at the moment) and get a Lexus 470.

Asshole enough for you?

LL
Meh I’m between his argument and yours. His is over the top with saying it sucks off road. But this, “buy something else” “be a man” “comes with the territory” is nonsense too lol.

I don’t see any reason why you can’t own an off road vehicle but also want to keep it looking nice. It doesn’t automatically have to look like shit just because you take it off road. I wouldn’t want all these paint chips on my wife’s Bronco either, so his pain is my gain because I’ll be investing in a way to alleviate this. Chips=rust no bueno.

CumminsWayne

Wildtrak
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500 Ram CTD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Every time I took someone for a ride they where like what is that terrible noise it sounds like rocks hitting under your new Bronco, so I installed Nitto Ridge Grapplers and put 300 miles on so far and ever since I have heard no rocks clunking every time I drive on/off road, I am glad I already planned on switching the tires and wheels anyway but I didn't really want to do it at 400 miles! the Ridge Grapplers look awesome, make little noise and as on my other vehicles work great wet/dry-on/off road , so with all that said anyone want to buy a set of 5 Sasquatch wheels and tires with only 400 miles on them HAHA.
3855D8A4-40D5-42FE-9D59-73C4D1CEFA5B.jpeg
7755F291-E978-4657-8AB5-0A49537C0BA1.jpeg
This right here! I recommend the Nitto Ridge Grapplers as well. I have also had, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Toyo Open Country RT’s and MT’s. My favorite tire for on road and off road manners have to be the Toyo Open Country RT’s. Quiet, don’t throw rocks, long tire life, and do well off road.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This thread and it's irrelevant title "bronco sucks off road..." is click bait. The OP needs to cease with the hyperbole and change the title to "I'm getting rock chips from sasquatch tires, what should I do?" if it's not just kicking the ant hill.

Question: do mods EVER close a thread, or just let thousands of people get suckered in?

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it will be prudent when Bronco owners remove the doors and drive "off road", they wear motorcycle-style leather chaps to protect themselves from rock-chucking Goodyears.
Yes! Flaps and Chaps for the win...

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm going to laugh when folks actually go off roading with their mud flap equipped Bronco. A little repositioning required in the rocks and you'll see them get ripped right off.

I've had it happen and from then on mud flaps were removed. I think I still have a box of the ones from my FJCruiser that was sold.

Don't get me wrong. If you drive on gravel on a regular basis, then you probably need them. Or any other on road / 'light-roading' condition where debris get thrown. Just recognize when they can be a liability.

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP ...it is ok! Enjoy your bronco's character and damage is to be expected, shows you are experiencing life at full throttle. Texas is to be enjoyed-drive as fast as you want.
Most of the advise on this thread is solid, other than the insults.
Simply time to double down and spend more $$:
Keep the original wheels and tires for fun in the snow time (they are good for that).
Purchase new rims of choice and Nitto Ridge Grapplers or similar larger lug tires for the rest of the time.
Line-x protect everywhere you want it.
Step rail if you wish.
And-Yes, mud flaps if you prefer to use full protection.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ill probably get Toyo R/T, Ihave been going back and forth between those and K02s. The R/Ts have drafted blocks that eject rocks outward

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There are less of these in the world than the reservations Ford got for the New Bronco in the first 15 minutes of the July 2020 reveal. LOL

Patina...

Hummerdirt.JPG
Lol patina. They told me that about my countertops 😂

Sponsored

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, it IS a Goodyear tire problem, they’re mud tires and their design is particularly good for picking up every rock and throwing it. Doesn’t make the tire bad, just bad for rocky roads when it’s meant for dirt. Laughable on the mud flaps though, no manufacturer adds mud flaps, that’s on you.
Even though Ford got Goodyear to only show Wrangler on the backside of the tire it is still a WRANGLER. It is there to haunt you. Maybe Goodyear will do a redesign to address our problems with the tire and call it the Bronco. It will be designed to throw the rocks/gravel to the outside of the vehicle and mostly at passing Jeeps.

22greenfordbronco

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Even though Ford got Goodyear to only show Wrangler on the backside of the tire it is still a WRANGLER. It is there to haunt you. Maybe Goodyear will do a redesign to address our problems with the tire and call it the Bronco. It will be designed to throw the rocks/gravel to the outside of the vehicle and mostly at passing Jeeps.
Hey now! You keep your gotdamn rocks to yourself. I don’t need you flinging rocks at my Jeep!

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wait. It's an off-road vehicle. It's going to get dirty and get rock chips near the wheels on the fenders and doors. If you want the cool look of big fat tires on an off-road rig, guess what? The fenders are going to get chipped up; it's just a factor of the vehicle design. Take the top and doors off and drive off road, guess what? The interior is going to get dirty and eff'd up. That's why it's cheap-looking PLASTIC.

OP, what you are experiencing is called 4x4 patina (my H3T has it). IF you want to really protect the paint, go to a Line-X shop and have them paint the areas of concerned with body-color hard-coat. But to say your Bronco "sucks off road" because it gets a few paint chips that you have to put the camera lens 3-inches away from to photograph is a bit Drama-Queen'ish. Honestly, the Bronco is not for you if you have such concerns.

If you don't want a real off-road SUV that is suceptible to rock chips and dirt, trade in your Bronco (they are hot sellers at the moment) and get a Lexus 470.

Asshole enough for you?

LL
I likely the reply hope they don't live in Michigan once they start throwing salt on the streets everything gets coated with it and you almost can see your vehicle disappearing before your eyes. Boo Hoo

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That does suck but not sure that this level of suck = "Bronco sucks off road" as your title states.
Sponsored