Sponsored

My Bronco sucks off-road! Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads.

4L0wBr0nc0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR Recon Edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This right here! I recommend the Nitto Ridge Grapplers as well. I have also had, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Toyo Open Country RT’s and MT’s. My favorite tire for on road and off road manners have to be the Toyo Open Country RT’s. Quiet, don’t throw rocks, long tire life, and do well off road.
This. This right here.

The guys barking about it being an "off-road vehicle" are missing the point. My Bronco has only 400 miles on it and hasn't seen any dirt, yet it has rock chips on both driver/passenger doors. This has nothing to do with what the purpose of the vehicle is and everything to do with the fact that even in normal day to day driving, the tread pattern is prone to pick up pebbles and rocks commonly found in the "scrub" of the road (say turning off a major thoroughfare into a parking lot). For instance, there is an area at the grocery store by my house that is filled with pea gravel that has overflowed into the adjacent parking spots. When I left there the other day, it sounded like I was taking enemy fire as I got up to speed. Ridiculous.

Meanwhile, I have 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my Rubicon and you have to be "off-road" to find rocks large enough to get lodged in its tread. And even though I've yet to wheel the Bronco, I'd bet that the Nitto's would fly circles around these Goodyear's AND be quieter on my drive home.

Worth mentioning, the Jeep doesn't require mud flaps either.

I get flaming people who complain about getting scratches when they decide to actually take their off-road vehicle off-road, but when your grocery getter is launching pea gravel all up and down the side of it itself, that's different story. I will be replacing my Goodyear's with 35" Ridge Grapplers next week. I'll get better off-road performance, a quieter ride on the pavement, and prevent unnecessary road damage to my daily driver.
Sponsored

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How? You can use them as a step. It’s very easy.
I'm tall and using steps makes it just more awkward. They stick out making it something to have to climb over to get in. Maybe it's just me but I just don't like things that stick out around the door.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm tall and using steps makes it just more awkward. They stick out making it something to have to climb over to get in. Maybe it's just me but I just don't like things that stick out around the door.
Gotcha. I'm 6 ft and it varies if I use them as a step or not. Depends on the day I guess, lol. When I get out of the vehicle and don't use it, my leg does rub on the rock rail, but it never bothers me. Unless it's covered in mud and I'm wearing dress pants :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Broncojy

Big Bend
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Neon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I recently purchased Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T tire. All-Terrain tire NOT Mud Terrain tires.

Guess what ................................

THEY THROW STONES !!!!!! It's the nature of the business, gotta' learn to live with it.

And I see people say there are not mud flaps for the Bronc. Then you need to improvise. Get something that is close and modify it. There is a thread here where someone has cut a hole in the mudflap to allow the rock rail to pass through the flap. Problem solved. Better yet get flexible rubber ones NOT hard plastic ones. If you are going to wait for something to fit every model you will be waiting a loooooooong time.

For the record my TJ's flares looked the same way after a month of riding on gravel/service roads.

If you wanna' play you hafta' pay.;)

😁
I've got the same exact tires and yeah.... I went through some rocks the other day, got back on the pavement, and heard *DING* *DING* *DING*.... Luckily I haven't seen any scratches, maybe it was underneath, but yeah those tires throw em...

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

speechless......

simply unbelievable what people complain about.

I didn't get fatsquatch though. My 33" tires are perfect so far.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree, but really though. It's a county road. Not an off road park, desert racing or OHV area. A county owned and maintained dirt road. Four previous trucks and never a single rock chip or noticeable damage from driving on it. Come home with the bronco, appalled at what I found.
I sympathize with what’s you’re reporting to us here, so thank you. Others have some good points about mudders at the wheels for both your protection and those driving behind you. It is a design flaw that Ford left them off, but they’re a cheap fix that only modestly change the look of the vehicle.

Bronco was built for sand and dirt, with rocks a distant consideration, so if that’s your terrain, you‘ll now do those mods and you’ve helped many others although guys haven’t shown you much grace here.

In the end, scratches give character, so when chips and dings happen to mine, I’ll leave them be unless they’re really big.

Keep us updated on your locating and installing mudders and post pics to show others how it would look.

Thanks again

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Gotcha. I'm 6 ft and it varies if I use them as a step or not. Depends on the day I guess, lol. When I get out of the vehicle and don't use it, my leg does rub on the rock rail, but it never bothers me. Unless it's covered in mud and I'm wearing dress pants :ROFLMAO:
Well Mitchell Watts is 6'3", or did you not know that? LOL

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We used Expel Black Universal Bed Rail Guard from Amazon.
It is not really armor, just a very tough, rather hard stick on tape. About 3 inch wide.
We put it on the rocker panel then attached our steps. You can go as high into the door well as you want.

It is pretty tough. I scratched at it with a bolt and think if will repeal rocks.
Time will tell how long the adhesive lasts. But for now, it looks good.

IMG_1012.JPG

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, those are made by Plasticolor who make really durable flaps . . . they are the only ones that are fiberglass reinforced so they can take a beating without tearing or failing in tough off-road conditions. They also make non-Yosemite Sam flaps . . . they have Ford Oval versions (officially licensed) as well as generic/black designs. I think you can find them on MyCoolCarStuff.com store.
I tried the same brand on my outer banks, but they will not work.

307Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mitsubishi Evo MR 2012 Mercedes AMG C63
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My Bronco is a Sasquatch so no crash bars from the factory, the flaps are on the front of my Outer Banks SAS. The picture of the rear flare shows all the snow/slush that is being thrown on the rear flare.

20211113_141632.jpg
These look 100% better than the OEM splash guards(y) Do you know what the dimensions are on them?

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have tried slowing down. The problem is it keeps the rocks in the tires, when you hit open pavement and speed up it just slings them off.
Plus it's a 40 mile road. Going 10 mph just isn't practical. I tend to go 45 ish as it's a very smooth dirt road.
replace the tires

Reactions: JPG

Bigwheelin

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To Ford and anyone who will listen. The Bronco Sasquatch is terrible. The tires, fender design destroy the vehicle.

My family has some land and I have to drive 40 miles each way down a county dirt road to access it.
After just driving around town I already had two chips in my door due to the tires picking up rocks so I had PPF installed on all four doors, this cost me almost $1,000
After traveling to my families land this last weekend I was appalled at what I found when I returned home and washed my Bronco. My rear fenders are trashed, one door handle torn up and my PPF is destroyed. I also took a rock chip on the front of the door even ahead of where the PPF is located on the passenger front door.

How can Ford sell a vehicle that literally rips its self apart driving down a county dirt road??

For reference, I've owned a 2011 FJ Cruiser, 2015 F-150, 2017 F-250 and 2018 Ford Raptor. These vehicles all took dozens of trips down the same road and never took any damage at all. One trip with my Bronco and I'm sure I have hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in damage to the vehicle.

Ford, How I am supposed to take this vehicle off-road without destroying it?!

Ford Bronco My Bronco sucks off-road!  Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads. IMG_1012.JPG

Ford Bronco My Bronco sucks off-road!  Terrible rock chips after 80 miles on county dirt roads. IMG_1012.JPG

I’m getting different tires and mud flaps asap , sucks but what’s got to be done

Mahin2021

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 TD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How the heck do you know the Bronco "sucks off road"....sounds like you're complaining about commuter use problems. A gravel road is not "off road"...
The Bronco is extremely capable off road. Those who have issues with the Bronco off road need to take some lessons on off-roading.
Sponsored