Sponsored

My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback?

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am setting my Bronco up to sleep in for 1-2 nigh trips and/or harder trails. I am looking for feedback and thoughts on the design. I have an off-road trailer so if I am going to be in one sport for a few days I use that setup. My goals for this setup are 1. Minimal compromise to the off roading performance, hence no RTT, 2. Minimize the set-up/teardown time, 3. Make it reasonable comfortable for cold, windy, rainy and other adverse conditions.

I have the Deepsleep Overland pads and Tuffy security drawer to provide storage space for tools, recovery gear, etc.

To add a sleeping platform I had originally thought about storing a panel on top of the drawer system but the distance from the tailgate bump out to the back of the seats is ~32" with the total pad length of 75". The panel would have to be 43", too long for that space. So two Panels stored vertically behind the 2nd row seats giving me ~48" X 22" for each if I want to keep it below the seat level and 48" X 32" if it went to the cealing.

Here are the two options I have come up with.
  1. panels split front to back. The back panel could be left in place with the rear seats folded down for a large cargo area.
  2. panels split side to side. The 60% side could be folded down with the 40% side still up allowing a cargo and sleeping split
Here is the CAD of the 2 solutions, I will have to mock up with carboard or cheap plywood as there is no perspective in CAD and to learn how easily they can be moved in the space. To anchor the front I plan on bolting or welding a 1" X 2" square tube to the front of the cargo drawer with 1" X 1" square posts that will fit into slots in the plywood. The front would be supported by the seats and or a prop rod to the floor.

I like the front to back split where the back panel could be left in for more cargo but I am not confident I could support the front panel well so I am favoring the side to side split.

1. Front to back "cargo" split.
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 1672425359680

2. Side to side split, passenger side not shown and would be a mirror image
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 1672425436379

Let me know your feedback, I'm happy to share design files when I am done. I plan on having it CNC router out of 0.5" Plywood.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Offroadrob

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 TRD PRO, 10 Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the side split - in case I need another seat

You know, maybe to rescue a Jeep driver?

OP
OP
robepa

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I updated and prototyped the design. It is much simpler and can be easily cut out of three 2' X 4' plywood panels available at Home Depot or Lowes, handy if you don't have a truck anymore and drive a Bronco...

I have a snow camping and wheeling trip this weekend where I will test it out. I would like to get the final design CNC routed but I have had no luck with the local shops.
  • I made the back panel stop 3" before the front edge of the drawer, this allows the back of the front panels to be supported by the drawer. It overlaps with the front bolt hole on the drawer but I don't think I need it, I will test this weekend to see how it works.
  • The back panel will be bolted to the drawer stay in place when I am not using the front panels. The front panels stack sideways behind the rear seats if we needed all 4 seats.
  • I shortened the front panels to the back edge of the center console. The gap is less than 3.5" less than using the @deepsleep Overland mats with stock setup. At my height (6') the front seats can be in the regular position with all the panels in place. This gives me a 64" X 42.5" flat load floor and the 2 front seats.
  • I added slats to the design at the front edge of the front panels, if needed I can use webbing to connect between the front panels and the molle panel on the back of the seats to support the pads overhang.
  • I put rubber diamond plate over the panels to given them a finished and non-skid surface, I wrapped it around the edge of the front panel so it will not scratch up the console.

I will have more pics after the weekend, here is the view link to the CAD in Onshape.

Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20230115_125154
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20230115_125045
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20230115_125025
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 1674231710934

Last edited:

deepsleep Overland

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Team deepsleep
Threads
Reaction score
Website
deepsleepoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, 21' Toyota 4runner, 23' 4dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That turned out great! Looks like you'll be able to leave your setup laid out and still be able to drive. I do like the 60/40 slit as it gives you modular options. Question...is the box rigid enough that it could support weight without the plywood on top of it? Or would it flex?

OP
OP
robepa

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tuffy lists 50lbs max load... I am ~180lbs and its fine when I sit on it without plywood. With plywood it's totally solid. I am using 0.5" plywood and the front panels are a bit springy without the pad. I may go to 5/8 for the final version. I don't want the weight of 0.75"

Sponsored

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it looks great and will work wonderfully for you! I'm using a Deep Sleep setup myself (which is fantastic!), but haven't jumped for a flat surface like this yet, but would be very interested in it since it's modular and I like having the ability to convert back to being able to haul 3+ people or a large dog in the middle

4door4family

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F350 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I built one of these this past summer. Nothing as fancy as CNC, just measured and cut in my shop. I wrapped the platform in indoor/outdoor carpet for protection and comfort. I've spent at least 5 nights in the back so far and works great, even with 2 people. I did add paracord with adjustable clips on the Molle panels behind front seats so each person could adjust head height for their personal preferences. I use regular sleeping pads that I already had. My build ended up being a 4 piece unit as I adjusted for the different heights in the back and seats folded down.
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? Molle clips
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? platform

OP
OP
robepa

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing as fancy as CNC
I had thought CNC would be easier, as an engineer making a model and a drawing for someone else to fab is typical. None of the local shops will get back to me even thought they say on their websites they will do a single sheet.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for this! I have the same setup with the Tuffy drawer, and I've been looking at different options to level the area for sleeping. I went camping last year for a few days where I didn't want to use a tent, so I just tried to sleep in the Bronco. I had a thin backpacking pad plus some foam mattress toppers and thought I could just use that on the back of the seat, but the difference in height of the cargo drawer and the seat backs was just too big. I keep going back and forth on whether to get rid of the Tuffy drawer and build a smaller platform to cover the cargo area that is the same height as the seats, or whether to do like you and level the back of the seats to meet the Tuffy drawer. The key design challenges I've been considering if I go with an approach like yours are 1) I want it to be able to do a single side, so when I'm alone I can use the rest of the cargo area for gear, and 2) I want to be able to store it in the Bronco at all times. Your design seems to meet both those criteria, and looks pretty simple to make as well. Great job!

OP
OP
robepa

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for this! I have the same setup with the Tuffy drawer, and I've been looking at different options to level the area for sleeping. I went camping last year for a few days where I didn't want to use a tent, so I just tried to sleep in the Bronco. I had a thin backpacking pad plus some foam mattress toppers and thought I could just use that on the back of the seat, but the difference in height of the cargo drawer and the seat backs was just too big. I keep going back and forth on whether to get rid of the Tuffy drawer and build a smaller platform to cover the cargo area that is the same height as the seats, or whether to do like you and level the back of the seats to meet the Tuffy drawer. The key design challenges I've been considering if I go with an approach like yours are 1) I want it to be able to do a single side, so when I'm alone I can use the rest of the cargo area for gear, and 2) I want to be able to store it in the Bronco at all times. Your design seems to meet both those criteria, and looks pretty simple to make as well. Great job!
Thanks, that is exactly what I was going for. The other thing I would add is fast to setup/take down. This weekend I am putting both panels in, sleep on one side and keep all my cargo on the 2nd side. I had considered doing a 60/40 split like the seats, the 60% panel would fit behind the seat but it would go all the way to the ceiling.

I am going to add the holes that are in the design but not my prototype so I can use a ratchet strap thru the car seat anchors to hold the panels in place behind the rear seats when its not in use. They will also stack on top of the box.

Sponsored
OP
OP
robepa

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tried out the sleeping platform with an overnight in the snow, it worked great!
  • Needs cargo tie down loops. On the first bump off road my cargo made like it was in a mosh pit.
  • Will add tie downs from the front panels to the seat base, keep things tied down over the bumps.
  • Using the seat to support the end of the overhang worked well although it does give the head area of the pad a slight upward bend.
  • I am going to prototype a filler panel that connects to the front panels and connects to the molle panel the same way @4door4family did.
  • Head height is marginal for sitting up, I am 5' 11" and I have to lean my head over. If the drawer was ~2" sorter it would make a big difference to headroom but then the drawer would be too shallow to hold many items.
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20230122_081021

Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20230122_080057
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20230122_080112
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20230122_080011
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20230122_080048
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? 20230122_105453

VentureBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was experimenting with the same thing (not CNC cut though) and a 2-door version I got the idea off of another thread.

I don’t have the tuffy box, but wanted to raise my platform up to like the height you have and create my own packing space. But, when I played with the height, the issue you bring up about not being able to sit up really came into play. I could really only raise it like 2” off the floor before it became an issue sitting up. So now I’m debating what the benefit of 2” of packing space below really gives me …

Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? C07917DD-D6CA-419D-A31D-B49EFCB46DFC

Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? AD01D335-AE3B-40C6-8F21-A5E9C25B31F7

OP
OP
robepa

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was experimenting with the same thing (not CNC cut though) and a 2-door version I got the idea off of another thread.

I don’t have the tuffy box, but wanted to raise my platform up to like the height you have and create my own packing space. But, when I played with the height, the issue you bring up about not being able to sit up really came into play. I could really only raise it like 2” off the floor before it became an issue sitting up. So now I’m debating what the benefit of 2” of packing space below really gives me …
I played with the use of being able to sit up vs packing space. For me I like having the space because I can keep all my off-roading kit in there (tools, recovery gear, spares, folding shovel, etc.) which makes it easy to jump in and go versus having to load/unload all that gear each time I go. Also living in Seattle having secure and discrete storage is a must.

On the other hand I won't be sleeping in the Bronco that often and it didn't bug me that much this last weekend.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My $0.02 on sitting inside the Bronco

Being 6', I don't think there's a way for me to sit inside the cabin (on my sleeping setup) with my back and neck straight (and comfortably). The closest I could get was in the cargo area, but even then, I still need an extra 2 inches or so for my neck to be straight

Ultimately, I decided against pursuing this because I don't see myself cooking inside the vehicle unless absolutely necessary on some obscure adventure

I could see myself possibly fitting on a low profile platform, without the rear seats, but I kind of like the flexibility of keeping the rear seats in 🤷‍♂️

I ended up purchasing the Traction Board Brackets and Attic Tray from Pura Vida Offroad and will be using that to stow my recovery gear up and out of the way, so chances of sitting in the cargo area are nil

seanoj

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I built one of these this past summer. Nothing as fancy as CNC, just measured and cut in my shop. I wrapped the platform in indoor/outdoor carpet for protection and comfort. I've spent at least 5 nights in the back so far and works great, even with 2 people. I did add paracord with adjustable clips on the Molle panels behind front seats so each person could adjust head height for their personal preferences. I use regular sleeping pads that I already had. My build ended up being a 4 piece unit as I adjusted for the different heights in the back and seats folded down.
Ford Bronco My Custom 4 Door Sleeping Platform Design -- feedback? AD01D335-AE3B-40C6-8F21-A5E9C25B31F7
@4door4family , I really like this setup. Do you have drawings or measurements you would be willing to share?

I want to do something like this but make the space under the platforms taller (but still give me and the wife enough room to sleep on top with a thin camping mat). Maybe tall enough to fit a cooler under(and thus nearly all of my camping gear)?

My only other changes might be a 60/40 split to match the 2nd row seats and "legs" to the passenger floor instead of hanging on the back of the front row seats. The paracord idea is pretty darn good, however, so I might try that idea first.

I was toying around with building it out of 80/20 aluminum extrusions and 1/2 inch HDPE sheets. Each section would have purpose built legs to act like tables. Maybe cutting the rear section in a way to, with longer legs, double as a camp table.

Perhaps prototype with plywood and folding table legs?
Sponsored