Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I wanted a winch mount on the front of my Badlands. But not all the time. All the winch plates I see involve pulling off the front bumper and replacing the factory recovery points. All that seemed a little to permanent for me.

My wife loves the face and isn’t a fan of blocking the front all the time.

Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. 1AF502BA-42FD-4B19-9A37-75B4290FB0E8

My goal was to be able to drop a plate over the recovery points kinda cradling three sides. Then attach a hitch receiver at a vertical and drop in a removable winch plate.

The cradles are self threaded and receive 3” long 7/8” grade 8 bolts through the recovery loop. To prevent swinging like a hinge there are 4 set screws that tighten against the face and bottom edge pulling tight to the big bolts.

My fabricator insisted on heavy duty for pulling forces. So every thing is tongue and notched 1/2” plate holding a 2” receiver. We cut down a harbor freight universal winch plate and gusseted it to the cut down hitch post.

Though a bit heavy it has helped to level the truck out after building an overland set up in the rear. All this is in preparation for a Florida to Colorado road trip with 3 good friends. Leaving Tuesday morning and will be picking up an off road tear drop for 4 days in the Rockies.

After adding the platform, fridge and box there isn’t much room so I built a swing out hitch cargo box. This will be left at the rental place while we haul the trailer. Couldn’t see the plate so needed to relocate it and added some marker lights. Plugged into the trailer light receiver.

So now Gloria is all ready for her big trip. Not sure I’ll need half this stuff but I’ll be a long way from Florida! If we are lucky enough that it’s open Imogene Pass here we come!

Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. D77043CD-3820-4FF6-9EAC-FAAE7D8BB01C
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. AD900B0A-8B33-4F90-B6F5-C631F80C22A6
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. 82029430-D107-4E3B-8743-FD93D40A3DB2
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. B7AC965A-807E-4B6E-BB43-CF72E3BD93E7
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. 8653E94B-A8C9-4ACF-9F1E-BC28897DDE60
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. AD900B0A-8B33-4F90-B6F5-C631F80C22A6
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. 3DEAD89C-DF64-45D8-9CB0-EFC3CA2F4C42
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. BF71F26D-D029-4E49-B121-F4A39C1BA044
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. 77777DD1-DC8C-4DF2-BA88-F4537F960044
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. B08B6456-09FA-414B-9CD1-09117E730032
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. 34BAB911-9247-4697-ADA1-8B2F739C37EC
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. 8B5E6629-EA99-4F12-AD1A-9115FCED732C
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. FCB2BD99-F6B5-44B2-B1C2-E5FBBBBC8332

Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. 4D174FC2-20D4-4AEB-9F9C-6BD8A2264751

Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. 414F34A2-6926-4A5D-85DC-D98BEB1B8B7F

Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. EC5D7BD9-6A4A-428D-BF02-60E65A820AAE

Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. D1865B8A-C08B-490F-9451-8E199A4B6FC7

Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. D7F5A3A0-22CE-4BB1-B07A-5EBEF6EA54E2
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

WPS-GHG!

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Rebel, 2021 BD Sas Mid 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been thinking about doing something similar, but mounting it down lower in a kind of cradle that bolts between the recovery points. Also with an adaptor to mount to the back tow hitch receiver.

OP
OP
Bronc-Itus

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been thinking about doing something similar, but mounting it down lower in a kind of cradle that bolts between the recovery points. Also with an adaptor to mount to the back tow hitch receiver.
This was my first thought also. The biggest problem i was having with one working front and rear is it needs so much length to get past the tire. And a receiver on the front horizontally at any length pushed the winch way out in front.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is downright amazing. And I'd be willing to pay for something like this. I'm also in the category of wanting a winch for weekend shenanigans, but rolling around back and forth to work with all of that up front is dumb and inefficient. If there's a way to convince you/your friend to either make it a viable product, or share the plans for it, you got yourself a sale man.

OP
OP
Bronc-Itus

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is downright amazing. And I'd be willing to pay for something like this. I'm also in the category of wanting a winch for weekend shenanigans, but rolling around back and forth to work with all of that up front is dumb and inefficient. If there's a way to convince you/your friend to either make it a viable product, or share the plans for it, you got yourself a sale man.
Funny you say that. I warned my fabricator this might get a lot of pop. He said everyone of them from now on are $2500. And he’ll only sell them to me. 😳 It ended up a lot more work than he thought. At that price I’m not sure the market would be all that big.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Funny you say that. I warned my fabricator this might get a lot of pop. He said everyone of them from now on are $2500. And he’ll only sell them to me. 😳 It ended up a lot more work than he thought. At that price I’m not sure the market would be all that big.
lmao, Touche, my good man. I know a couple people here that might be able to fab something like this up, if you don't mind sharing some more detailed pictures up for the masses.

Congrats again on the great work, it's perfect

OP
OP
Bronc-Itus

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lmao, Touche, my good man. I know a couple people here that might be able to fab something like this up, if you don't mind sharing some more detailed pictures up for the masses.

Congrats again on the great work, it's perfect
I realize it’s crude but if someone wants to try….. Go for it. I only ask you call it the Hutch Mount. 😁
Ford Bronco My custom fabricated "Hutch Mount." Drop-on two bolt weekend winch mount. 976674D7-6647-4FAB-A52A-95FCFFA88DB2

But the key to this whole thing is the ability to drill and tap those cradles in line and place the set screws. Zoom in on pics. They are Allen heads.

Nemo

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is pretty cool. I'm definitely interested if someone makes this a product

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Interesting.

I was thinking about just having someone fabricate handles for the JCR top plate; theoretically after removing the bumper once, removing the winch itself would only be 6 bolts.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That looks awesome. Let us know when you get a chance to use it and how the mount does.

Sponsored

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like you have ACC, how is that handling it?

I have always ran hitch mounted winches, and that is what i want to have on my Bronco. No need for teh winch 24/7, 365. Also always liked the ability to take it off the front and move to the back if the situation requires.

Superstition

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon unlimited tricked out
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do like the idea of vertical mounting the hitch to keep the winch close to the front of the Bronco. The challenge of your approach might be the amplification of the forces created by the large lever arm from the bumper tow points to the bottom of the hitch junction at the winch plate. It takes A LOT of force to get a vehicle out of the mud or up a ledgy incline and the pull angles are often not ideal.

Super cool to see your work. It's the only game in town I've seen if you want to remove the front winch. (y)

OP
OP
Bronc-Itus

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do like the idea of vertical mounting the hitch to keep the winch close to the front of the Bronco. The challenge of your approach might be the amplification of the forces created by the large lever arm from the bumper tow points to the bottom of the hitch junction at the winch plate. It takes A LOT of force to get a vehicle out of the mud or up a ledgy incline and the pull angles are often not ideal.

Super cool to see your work. It's the only game in town I've seen if you want to remove the front winch. (y)
If you look closely the hitch receiver drops into the two separated 1/2 plates. Thee plates span the entire face width wise and are welded fully. They are about 3” deep. So lots of strength over all. Also the “hitch” tube is actually 2x2 thick wall tubing
Looks like you have ACC, how is that handling it?

I have always ran hitch mounted winches, and that is what i want to have on my Bronco. No need for teh winch 24/7, 365. Also always liked the ability to take it off the front and move to the back if the situation requires.
Does not have advance cruise control high package

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How does the plate mount to the cradle? Im trying to figure out the need for the set screws if that whole thing is one piece?
Sponsored