Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a decade and loved the fact that the seats folded flat with the rear and had lots of storage under that around the spare tire. As soon as I had a Bronco ordered this was the number one project I wanted to do. I finally got around this past weekend to build out a platform bed to level it out for sleeping and give it much needed additional storage to mimic what I had in the Jeep.

I looked at several posts on this forum for ideas. I wanted something super simple. I didn’t need to have the entire thing be completely level by adding an additional platform over the rear seats. Or to fill in the gap between the front seat and the folded seat. I wanted to keep it clean looking and as soon as I fold down the seats have something ready to sleep in. So with that said check out my build.
  • Sheet of 3/8 plywood cut 42” wide by 33” inches deep.
  • 8 foot 2x4
  • D rings and hardware
  • Speaker carpet
  • Adhesive spray
  • Staple gun
I cut 2 2x4's and spaced them out far enough so I could still open the sub floor compartment.

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area 0

I then cut the deck to 42" x 33"

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area 1

I put duct tape on the sides so it wouldn't scratch up the plastic when loading. Put in to test the fit of everything and then screwed down the deck to the 2x4's.

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area 3

Take the remaining 2x4 and cut it to length for a front piece. Note that this piece is not screwed in or attached. Simply inserted in place. This gives it a finished look, hides the gear, and also gives it a lot of support. Can easily add heavy bins, coolers, fridge on this.

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area 4

Time to carpet it. I used Gorilla Spray Adhesive and speaker carpet. I used one solid piece and glued half at a time. Folding the edges down over the bottom.

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area 6

Used a staple gun and stapled the sides down. Also used scrap carpet to place on the 2x4's so it slides in easy and doesn't scratch things up. I also cut a piece for the front of the 2x4 not pictured.

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area 6a

Wrapped the front 2x4 as well and added some tie down points. Everything fits great. Seats work up or down. Can close the tailgate just fine and the little "bump" doesn't hit anything.

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area 7

Run the passenger seat all the way forward. Then flip out the rear headrest from the lowered seat and can set a full size Pillow (My Pillow brand of course) on top and it fills in that gap perfectly. So no need to build additional stuff.

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area 7b

If you lift up the deck you can still access the sub floor storage. Added bonus you can prop up the platform with the sub floor lid!

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area 8

Additionally if you don't need to access the sub floor you use the front 2x4 to prop up the deck allowing you to get what you need.

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area IMG_4580

Everything all closed up and a storage bin held in place with the tie down points.

Ford Bronco My custom Sleeping Platform / Storage Area 10

Hope this helps! You can check out other projects I’ve done on my Bronco over here https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/meet-moon.41320/

Ive done some cool stuff in the back of it like the fold down table with charging cables, a battery bank that charges as I drive, fan, interior and exterior tailgate lighting etc…
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shamalama86

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 3.5L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bookmarked so when I have to live out of this Bronco because the only thing I'll be able to afford is the car payments.
Plywood is still expensive thou . But I here ya . I think my payment is 100$ extra no weekly then i planned lol. At 4.49%

Sponsored

Sassy51

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Blk BD 2.3 Auto - 1/11/22+9/21/22 11/29/22
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a decade and loved the fact that the seats folded flat with the rear and had lots of storage under that around the spare tire. As soon as I had a Bronco ordered this was the number one project I wanted to do. I finally got around this past weekend to build out a platform bed to level it out for sleeping and give it much needed additional storage to mimic what I had in the Jeep.

I looked at several posts on this forum for ideas. I wanted something super simple. I didn’t need to have the entire thing be completely level by adding an additional platform over the rear seats. Or to fill in the gap between the front seat and the folded seat. I wanted to keep it clean looking and as soon as I fold down the seats have something ready to sleep in. So with that said check out my build.
  • 8 foot 2x4
  • D rings and hardware
  • Speaker carpet
  • Adhesive spray
  • Staple gun
I cut 2 2x4's and spaced them out far enough so I could still open the sub floor compartment.

I put duct tape on the sides so it wouldn't scratch up the plastic when loading. Put in to test the fit of everything and then screwed down the deck to the 2x4's.

Take the remaining 2x4 and cut it to length for a front piece. Note that this piece is not screwed in or attached. Simply inserted in place. This gives it a finished look, hides the gear, and also gives it a lot of support. Can easily add heavy bins, coolers, fridge on this.

Time to carpet it. I used Gorilla Spray Adhesive and speaker carpet. I used one solid piece and glued half at a time. Folding the edges down over the bottom.

Used a staple gun and stapled the sides down. Also used scrap carpet to place on the 2x4's so it slides in easy and doesn't scratch things up. I also cut a piece for the front of the 2x4 not pictured.

Wrapped the front 2x4 as well and added some tie down points. Everything fits great. Seats work up or down. Can close the tailgate just fine and the little "bump" doesn't hit anything.

Run the passenger seat all the way forward. Then flip out the rear headrest from the lowered seat and can set a full size Pillow (My Pillow brand of course) on top and it fills in that gap perfectly. So no need to build additional stuff.

If you lift up the deck you can still access the sub floor storage. Added bonus you can prop up the platform with the sub floor lid!

Additionally if you don't need to access the sub floor you use the front 2x4 to prop up the deck allowing you to get what you need.

Everything all closed up and a storage bin held in place with the tie down points.

Hope this helps! You can check out other projects I’ve done on my Bronco over here https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/meet-moon.41320/

Ive done some cool stuff in the back of it like the fold down table with charging cables, a battery bank that charges as I drive, fan, interior and exterior tailgate lighting etc…
You are an absolute f*ing genius… doing this day 1 THANK U simple and effective!

OP
OP
SwampCactus

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How does it stay secured/not rattle while offroading?
Haven't been offroading yet since that has been done. But it doesn't shift around at all. It's a tight fit. Really solid. No noise or rattle.

OP
OP
SwampCactus

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bookmarked so when I have to live out of this Bronco because the only thing I'll be able to afford is the car payments.
I made it for camping / more storage. But that's also plan B haha.

"I live in a Bronco down by the river!"

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• 8 foot 2x4
  • D rings and hardware
  • Speaker carpet
  • Adhesive spray
  • Staple gun

Great solution and versatile! Personally, I'd like to see it fastened down to the truck itself. Even something as simple as hinges on the front and toolbox latches on the back..? 🤷
I have 8 bolts holding down my load floor... Then again, it also uses a 500Lbs-rated slide out on it. Lol
đź‘Ť

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People getting prepared to be kicked out of their house by their spouse because of all the money they spend on mods. 🤣
My projects have been stupid expensive...ita mostly the little shit like hardware, ordering stuff online... Like I needed a pair of 6 cent resistors to trick the trunk into thinking the rear seatbelt reels were still installed... That was $10. Thankfully, I think I'm just about finished spending money on what I had planned!

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice, simple and functional... well done!

Marty Loop

Wildtrak
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ecosport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Haven't been offroading yet since that has been done. But it doesn't shift around at all. It's a tight fit. Really solid. No noise or rattle.
it looks like you can use the original tie-down hooks under to secure it also

Asylumchild

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you have a brand or link recommendation for the speaker carpet? (size/type)
Sponsored