Sponsored

My Dealer is lying to get me to order in person (Why!?)

Sweetooth710

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reserved a bronco a few months ago and was instructed by a dealer in central Florida to wait until the MY22 banks open up to convert my reservation to an order since I told him I wanted a 22’.

This morning Iwas going to submit the order online, but to decided to text him to confirm pricing since I’ve read the horror markup stories (He said I would pay sticker) so hopefully a text is proof enough if they try the bait and switch.

When I told him I was ready to order online he says “Ford is no longer allowing online orders“ so I‘d have to come in to the dealership. Not true at all, which I assumed was an honest mistake because this process has proven to be complicated to the point the dealers often aren’t clear on bronco info. So I sent him a screengrab showing my build and asking for a $500 deposit to submit my order. He then replies “You live far away, right? When can you come in?” Yes I own two homes one in Florida, one in Virginia, and rent an apartment in Seattle. I travel a lot and now it seems like it wasn’t misinformation and he lied to get me to come in instead of submitting the order online.

Anyone know what This tactic may be about?
Sponsored

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I reserved a bronco a few months ago and was instructed by a dealer in central Florida to wait until the MY22 banks open up to convert my reservation to an order since I told him I wanted a 22’.

This morning Iwas going to submit the order online, but to decided to text him to confirm pricing since I’ve read the horror markup stories (He said I would pay sticker) so hopefully a text is proof enough if they try the bait and switch.

When I told him I was ready to order online he says “Ford is no longer allowing online orders“ so I‘d have to come in to the dealership. Not true at all, which I assumed was an honest mistake because this process has proven to be complicated to the point the dealers often aren’t clear on bronco info. So I sent him a screengrab showing my build and asking for a $500 deposit to submit my order. He then replies “You live far away, right? When can you come in?” Yes I own two homes one in Florida, one in Virginia, and rent an apartment in Seattle. I travel a lot and now it seems like it wasn’t misinformation and he lied to get me to come in instead of submitting the order online.

Could it be…. Money?

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perhaps to verify that your order is legit.

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Perhaps to verify that your order is legit.
I wish I was that optimistic.

I think it's much easier to apply pressure tactics and force someone into a decision they would otherwise not make in person.

I would say - get everything in writing, agree on price. If a deposit is required then agree on when it will be refunded (above agreed upon price, not delivered in 6 months, etc.).

Also if they want you to sign something that says ... this is the whole agreement ... then add in the things that you both agreed to in email or verbally.

Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Pretty sure you cannot submit online if you have a reservation. You could however scratch your reservation and place a new order.

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mawesome s
I wish I was that optimistic.

I think it's much easier to apply pressure tactics and force someone into a decision they would otherwise not make in person.

I would say - get everything in writing, agree on price. If a deposit is required then agree on when it will be refunded (above agreed upon price, not delivered in 6 months, etc.).

Also if they want you to sign something that says ... this is the whole agreement ... then add in the things that you both agreed to in email or verbally.
Makes sense.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My experience. Your dealer starts the conversion of your reservation to an order. YOU then have to acknowledge the reservation is in fact being converted to an order. You do this electronically. Once the Ford site responds, your dealer then can fill out your desired order. You then sign the documents that show the agreed price. I am not sure, but placing an order on line is for those without prior reservations.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pretty sure you cannot submit online if you have a reservation. You could however scratch your reservation and place a new order.
Unconverted reservations can order online. I have a reservation from April that I never converted and Ford emailed me a link, also, when I log into my Account on the Ford page there is a link to order online.

OP, if you have the time go on in. Easier to negotiate in person and have them agree to pricing and sign right then and there. If not, take your res elsewhere. I wouldn't read anything to nefarious into it.

Last edited:

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Harder to slide that piece of paper with $20k ADM on it over the phone...

OP
OP
Sweetooth710

Sweetooth710

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My experience. Your dealer starts the conversion of your reservation to an order. YOU then have to acknowledge the reservation is in fact being converted to an order. You do this electronically. Once the Ford site responds, your dealer then can fill out your desired order. You then sign the documents that show the agreed price. I am not sure, but placing an order on line is for those without prior reservations.
Correct. I have a prior reservation so now if I go to the build and price tool it shows my $100 I put down and asks for an additional $500 deposit to covert to an order.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
all supposition of course; Dealer sales folks are way way better at manipulation than we are, it is literally how they make a living. They want you there in person to read your body language and to control the enviroment to maximize what they can extract from you. Email/Online, they lose a large part of their advantage. It is a power move to put you at a disadvantage. One might might want to reconsider doing business with someone who sets you up to be disadvantaged?

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
He probably just wants to give you a hammock in person and save some shipping costs. I wouldn’t worry about it, although if you’re not reordering there’s no reason why it can’t be done online…..at least none that I can think of.
Sponsored