First Name
TD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJK
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I know there are other threads out there, but I wanted to get our thoughts out there to everyone. My wife and I drove both on Tuesday (2.3L Ranger and 2.7L F-150) and I have included our thoughts below. We currently own 3 manual transmission cars and two automatics, so we drive them both! These thoughts are with us buying the 4 door, just an fyi.

2.3L:
Transmission that I would personally recommend with the 2.3L would be the manual, hands down. Ability to manually select the gears to ensure the motor is where it wants to be is imperative (3k and above). We both felt the auto felt slightly disconnected from the motor and it was like an awkward dance some of the time while driving. Its not a deal breaker for the 2.3L/auto combo, its just something that I would need to drive more to get used to. Even discounting the piped in sound, the 2.3L sounds great, love its growl. Its power delivery reminds me of our V70R 5 cylinder. From a start, its a bit slow, but once the turbo hits, its a really fun motor. Great rush to the top of the rev range.

One of the times we felt it was underpowered was on a decent hill, in traffic with someone who slowed and turned right in front of us. My wife then kicked it pretty good and I had this instant feeling I had to help it accelerate back up to speed on the hill. Not severe, just some, but I'm worried about 500lbs more mass being slowed and then needing to get back up to speed like that scenario. Its in no way BAD, just not as fast as I was anticipating. This wouldn’t be a problem for someone who doesn’t drive their car hard or aggressively, but we get on it a decent amount when we drive.

2.7L:
I'll refrain from any transmission recommendation for obvious reasons. V6 has power/torque all through the rev range, and didn’t have any kind of “peaky” power delivery feeling. More refined for sure, but it also had less character than the 2.3L for me, and I like to have that in a motor. I’m hoping that the Bronco’s lower amount of sound deadening will let this motor talk to the driver a bit. I can at least hope. Its quick, and it will have no issues moving the Bronco around. It did feel much different though, as it felt like the power was in the low/mid range for sure, and didn’t charge to the top with its power like the 2.3L. Just a different perceived power curve, so they have different personalities.

Seemed it was a bit less willing to kick down for passing, etc than the 2.3L but that could all be based on where the transmissions were at with their “learning” people talk about. Once it does, it hits you in the mouth. People won’t be disappointed with this motor and it will move the Bronco no problem, its just a different animal than the 2.3L, and delivers power in a different way, so its also about matching driving styles/wants with the motors.

Transmission:
Both had the issue we see in our Fusion with a delay between pushing the pedal down and when it reacts to throttle input, especially at low speeds when coasting at 10 mph or so and turning left across traffic, etc. Hope the “learning” can fix that a bit.

We also drove both of the trucks in “normal” and “sport” mode to see the differences. Normal is a bit more “muted” and doesn’t let you wind the motor out much, but its smooth and would be great for most non-aggressive drivers. Sport is different in good and bad ways as far as we could tell. You can wind the motor out more, get more speed, etc which is great. One thing I HATED that I hope is related to the learning part of the equation is that when I was going up the on ramp in both trucks and was giving it probably 70% or so throttle, I would let off to probably 30% when I hit the speed I wanted, and the transmission would hold the gear I was in...and hold…and hold. I had to almost let my foot off the gas entirely for it to up shift and cruise along. I was audibly telling the transmission to up shift as it’s a really unnerving behavior out of a transmission. Maybe someone with experience can chime in on that.

Final thoughts:
I think both motors will be up to the task for the Bronco, and it really depends on everyone’s personal expectation of “performance” from their Bronco. Here at altitude in Denver, and the way I like to drive, my wife and I will need to either get the 2.3L/stick combo which would require the ford performance tune for me, or the 2.7L auto. Its gonna come down to pricing and what we would need to cut out to get the bigger motor and still fit the budget.

No matter what motor you get, its going to be a great rig, a lot of fun and something we can all use to explore the world in ways we already do now (if you already wheel, etc.), or something that will allow us to explore our world more (my case). Can’t wait to see everyone on the road in their Broncos with huge smiles on their faces. Just thought I would share our thoughts. Good luck with all of your choices and make it your own!
Great overview. I am new to Ford engine and transmission tech/performance and have been trying to determine which engine combo best for my needs. So if I go budget build I guess it will have to be 2.3 with stick or if budget buster build then the 6 with auto. Thanks for your write up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great overview. I am new to Ford engine and transmission tech/performance and have been trying to determine which engine combo best for my needs. So if I go budget build I guess it will have to be 2.3 with stick or if budget buster build then the 6 with auto. Thanks for your write up.
Pretty much what we have realized our position is a well.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If price is a concern for you (as it is for ~90+% of us!), and you are comfortable with a manual, the 2.3/MT should be an excellent combination and not a sacrifice.

For comparison's sake and to get a feeling for it, the ecoboost Mustang with manual transmission will be the closest example we have right now, you should go test drive that instead of a Ranger. Gearing will be way off and the Mustang is tuned for more speed than Bronco will. But Ranger has rear leafs and is tuned to haul 7,500 lbs....

Note: The manual transmission used in Mustang is NOT the transmission that Bronco will have. It's just the closest generational offering that Getrag and Ford have to give us a sample of. One could reasonably assume that it's engagement points and "feel" will be moderately similar.

Personal bias: I admit to liking the 2.3 and believing it is more than enough motor for my needs and for Bronco. And I openly admit to disliking the 10-speed that comes with 2.3 in the Ranger with a passion. I've put about 3,000-3,500 miles on a '19 Ranger and if that was the only transmission offering then it's possible Bronco would not be something i'm looking at. When they announced that Bronco would pair the 2.3 with a proper MT and have a crawler gear, that's a MASSIVE bonus and instantly brought me on board with this being the primary option for my next car in late 2021.

Wasatch

Wildtrak
First Name
TD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJK
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If price is a concern for you (as it is for ~90+% of us!), and you are comfortable with a manual, the 2.3/MT should be an excellent combination and not a sacrifice.

For comparison's sake and to get a feeling for it, the ecoboost Mustang with manual transmission will be the closest example we have right now, you should go test drive that instead of a Ranger. Gearing will be way off and the Mustang is tuned for more speed than Bronco will. But Ranger has rear leafs and is tuned to haul 7,500 lbs....

Note: The manual transmission used in Mustang is NOT the transmission that Bronco will have. It's just the closest generational offering that Getrag and Ford have to give us a sample of. One could reasonably assume that it's engagement points and "feel" will be moderately similar.

Personal bias: I admit to liking the 2.3 and believing it is more than enough motor for my needs and for Bronco. And I openly admit to disliking the 10-speed that comes with 2.3 in the Ranger with a passion. I've put about 3,000-3,500 miles on a '19 Ranger and if that was the only transmission offering then it's possible Bronco would not be something i'm looking at. When they announced that Bronco would pair the 2.3 with a proper MT and have a crawler gear, that's a MASSIVE bonus and instantly brought me on board with this being the primary option for my next car in late 2021.
Thanks for info and would appreciate some input on 2 door with 2.3 stick vs 4 door 2.3 with stick. I own a Jeep 2 door with the 3.6 auto and power has never been a problem. The size of vehicle has been the problem. Too small. Around town I can deal with the short wheel base bumpy ride, but when going on an extended trip the 2 door gets quickly overfilled. So I thought for sure I'd order a 4 door Bronco. I reserved a Wildtrak on day 2 of reservation opening but having second thoughts. Do you, who have Ford experience, think the 4 door with 2.3 stick (or even auto ) will have the power kind similar to what I am driving now. I always have thought 4 cyl vehicles only good for sedans etc. thanks.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can wind the motor out more, get more speed, etc which is great. One thing I HATED that I hope is related to the learning part of the equation is that when I was going up the on ramp in both trucks and was giving it probably 70% or so throttle, I would let off to probably 30% when I hit the speed I wanted, and the transmission would hold the gear I was in...and hold…and hold. I had to almost let my foot off the gas entirely for it to up shift and cruise along. I was audibly telling the transmission to up shift as it’s a really unnerving behavior out of a transmission. Maybe someone with experience can chime in on that.
I've experienced the same holding in sport mode in the wife's 20 Explorer. It's a bit unsettling to say the least!
It is... just a weird feeling.
This is intended behavior. In Sport mode, it wants to hold the gear, as it's assuming you're getting back on the power right away, and by holding the higher RPM you can get your boost back faster.

It doesn't translate in a truck as well as something like the Mustang.

On a track, as you want to be in a lower gear exiting a corner, and in transition between corners to maximize power. In a manual, you just don't shift, in the auto it would shift up, then down again.

Basically it holds that gear for you so that it's back in the power quicker on reapplication of throttle.

Sponsored

IARubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ask anyone with a vehicle where a V8 is an option, if it's reasonably priced, they get the V8. No one ever regrets it. Jeep Grand Cherokee has one as an option, and they're working on a Wrangler with one.

Eco-boost is such a compromise on a vehicle that shouldn't be compromised.

I'll stick with my normally aspirated Rubicon JLU until Ford smartens up.

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7 with a Cobb Accessport as soon as they release it. It will make plenty of power.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks for info and would appreciate some input on 2 door with 2.3 stick vs 4 door 2.3 with stick. I own a Jeep 2 door with the 3.6 auto and power has never been a problem. The size of vehicle has been the problem. Too small. Around town I can deal with the short wheel base bumpy ride, but when going on an extended trip the 2 door gets quickly overfilled. So I thought for sure I'd order a 4 door Bronco. I reserved a Wildtrak on day 2 of reservation opening but having second thoughts. Do you, who have Ford experience, think the 4 door with 2.3 stick (or even auto ) will have the power kind similar to what I am driving now. I always have thought 4 cyl vehicles only good for sedans etc. thanks.
The 2.3 powers Ranger which has a gross vehicle weight of 6,050. It weighs up to 4,441 lbs dry and can tow another 7,500 with 1,200 in the bed (based on configuration).

Bronco has a max curb weight of about 4,450 with 1,170/1,370 max payload (2-door/4-door), to give an estimate of 5,820 lbs. I didn't run the numbers on my 10-key, but i'm extremely confident that a fully loaded ranger is going to be drastically heavier than a fully loaded Bronco... With the same engine. No, 2.3 Bronco won't be winning any hillclimber races against the specialty built rigs, but 2.3 will move everything Bronco can muster.

2021 Bronco preliminary specifications

And the youtube video with the comparison of the Ranger and Bronco:

Ranger/Bronco weight comparison

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ask anyone with a vehicle where a V8 is an option, if it's reasonably priced, they get the V8. No one ever regrets it.
I went from a small V8 to the larger V8. No regrets at all. Larger V8 (new ) was cheaper than the smaller V8 ( new )
Small:
ANHstF1.jpg

Large:
QOqITAv.jpg

The_Axeman

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 4dr Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know there are other threads out there, but I wanted to get our thoughts out there to everyone. My wife and I drove both on Tuesday (2.3L Ranger and 2.7L F-150) and I have included our thoughts below. We currently own 3 manual transmission cars and two automatics, so we drive them both! These thoughts are with us buying the 4 door, just an fyi.

2.3L:
Transmission that I would personally recommend with the 2.3L would be the manual, hands down. Ability to manually select the gears to ensure the motor is where it wants to be is imperative (3k and above). We both felt the auto felt slightly disconnected from the motor and it was like an awkward dance some of the time while driving. Its not a deal breaker for the 2.3L/auto combo, its just something that I would need to drive more to get used to. Even discounting the piped in sound, the 2.3L sounds great, love its growl. Its power delivery reminds me of our V70R 5 cylinder. From a start, its a bit slow, but once the turbo hits, its a really fun motor. Great rush to the top of the rev range.

One of the times we felt it was underpowered was on a decent hill, in traffic with someone who slowed and turned right in front of us. My wife then kicked it pretty good and I had this instant feeling I had to help it accelerate back up to speed on the hill. Not severe, just some, but I'm worried about 500lbs more mass being slowed and then needing to get back up to speed like that scenario. Its in no way BAD, just not as fast as I was anticipating. This wouldn’t be a problem for someone who doesn’t drive their car hard or aggressively, but we get on it a decent amount when we drive.

2.7L:
I'll refrain from any transmission recommendation for obvious reasons. V6 has power/torque all through the rev range, and didn’t have any kind of “peaky” power delivery feeling. More refined for sure, but it also had less character than the 2.3L for me, and I like to have that in a motor. I’m hoping that the Bronco’s lower amount of sound deadening will let this motor talk to the driver a bit. I can at least hope. Its quick, and it will have no issues moving the Bronco around. It did feel much different though, as it felt like the power was in the low/mid range for sure, and didn’t charge to the top with its power like the 2.3L. Just a different perceived power curve, so they have different personalities.

Seemed it was a bit less willing to kick down for passing, etc than the 2.3L but that could all be based on where the transmissions were at with their “learning” people talk about. Once it does, it hits you in the mouth. People won’t be disappointed with this motor and it will move the Bronco no problem, its just a different animal than the 2.3L, and delivers power in a different way, so its also about matching driving styles/wants with the motors.

Transmission:
Both had the issue we see in our Fusion with a delay between pushing the pedal down and when it reacts to throttle input, especially at low speeds when coasting at 10 mph or so and turning left across traffic, etc. Hope the “learning” can fix that a bit.

We also drove both of the trucks in “normal” and “sport” mode to see the differences. Normal is a bit more “muted” and doesn’t let you wind the motor out much, but its smooth and would be great for most non-aggressive drivers. Sport is different in good and bad ways as far as we could tell. You can wind the motor out more, get more speed, etc which is great. One thing I HATED that I hope is related to the learning part of the equation is that when I was going up the on ramp in both trucks and was giving it probably 70% or so throttle, I would let off to probably 30% when I hit the speed I wanted, and the transmission would hold the gear I was in...and hold…and hold. I had to almost let my foot off the gas entirely for it to up shift and cruise along. I was audibly telling the transmission to up shift as it’s a really unnerving behavior out of a transmission. Maybe someone with experience can chime in on that.

Final thoughts:
I think both motors will be up to the task for the Bronco, and it really depends on everyone’s personal expectation of “performance” from their Bronco. Here at altitude in Denver, and the way I like to drive, my wife and I will need to either get the 2.3L/stick combo which would require the ford performance tune for me, or the 2.7L auto. Its gonna come down to pricing and what we would need to cut out to get the bigger motor and still fit the budget.

No matter what motor you get, its going to be a great rig, a lot of fun and something we can all use to explore the world in ways we already do now (if you already wheel, etc.), or something that will allow us to explore our world more (my case). Can’t wait to see everyone on the road in their Broncos with huge smiles on their faces. Just thought I would share our thoughts. Good luck with all of your choices and make it your own!
thank you so much for this great review. Awesome info. I’m feeling that I’d love to have the manual - so 2.3l - but I’m going Squatched - so it’s just the delay that bothers me. But if it allows me to save some $ and buy more accessories.....?

Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In sport mode most vehicles will hold that gear to keep the throttle and acceleration snappy. It can be annoying but I normally will just manually shift it so it calms down or even just switch back to normal mode.
Ford will definitely offer some tunes and stuff which has me wondering.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.3 powers Ranger which has a gross vehicle weight of 6,050. It weighs up to 4,441 lbs dry and can tow another 7,500 with 1,200 in the bed (based on configuration).

Bronco has a max curb weight of about 4,450 with 1,170/1,370 max payload (2-door/4-door), to give an estimate of 5,820 lbs. I didn't run the numbers on my 10-key, but i'm extremely confident that a fully loaded ranger is going to be drastically heavier than a fully loaded Bronco... With the same engine. No, 2.3 Bronco won't be winning any hillclimber races against the specialty built rigs, but 2.3 will move everything Bronco can muster.

2021 Bronco preliminary specifications

And the youtube video with the comparison of the Ranger and Bronco:

Ranger/Bronco weight comparison
The Bronco can weigh up to 5320 lbs.

96039078-F4CF-4DCB-B717-C240B7241A87.jpeg

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The Bronco can weigh up to 5320 lbs.
Weights are estimates on Bronco.

Also, please confirm that you believe 8,820 to be greater than 13,550. Because it's going to be a monumental argument that a fully loaded Bronco is going to weigh anything close to what a fully loaded Ranger is capable of (that was tried, tested and proven to be within the scope of what the 2.3 is capable of handling)

(fully loaded Bronco at estimated max weight, plus full towing capacity vs. Ranger with full towing capacity)
Sponsored