Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They are actually powdercoated a color called "49er gold" from cerakote with a 50% gloss clearcoat. I took a bit of a risk with the color, but I'm happy with how they came out. It's tough with the pegs since they are known to be a bit weak, but i gambled on the 18s.
Sponsored

RACERED-WT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Modded stg2 BMW owner here. I will note that in sport modes it is common for the car to hang and not upshift until way late and I've certainly never heard anyone liking this. The good news is, a tune or trans tune can fix this and still maintain the sporty mode. I'm gonna hope with the popularity of the Bronco, there will plenty of aftermarket tuning that will easily make the auto trans enjoyable in any modes. Great write up op!

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the 2.7L Twin Turbo Beast in our Edge Sport....That being said I went to test drive the 2.3L Ranger today and it is perfectly adequate with good power, nothing like the power and drive of the 2.7L. If you are on the fence, the 2.7L is a blast to drive that will put a smile on your face, I didn't get that same feeling from the 2.3L.

It is hard to describe the power of the 2.7L, it just feels like it wants to go, like it is ready to be set loose.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If the 2.3 in Ranger can also tow 7,000 lbs with 900lbs in the bed and every seat taken by an American, I'm feeling confident that it will "somehow manage" to find the grunt necessary to haul 500lbs.

Having driven a Ranger towing 4,000lbs with 750ish lbs in the bed and being able to get up to 60 mph on every onramp, and up 6% grades while passing big rigs easily or maneuving in traffic I'm thinking that it just might, if coaxed by an incredibly skilled button-presser, be able to daily drive the well-girthy 500 lbs of Bronco manhood and truck nuts.

We're not saving her for the next guy are we? Nahhhhhhhhhhhh..... Then same philosophy, Ranger with 2.3 will be fine.

Full disclosure: I find the 10-speed maddening in its desire to race to 10th gear at 40 mph then drive as if it's lost. Yesterday in 4H it was coasting downhill at 30 mph in 9th gear. Not-so-shockingly, when the uphill came, the Ranger hunted for 3rd gear, acting like a 3-balled tomcat in spring, aggressively prowling for the right gear (hint: it wasn't 9th) to "power" up the hill..... At 30mph.

It seems that the current breed of Ford's auto transmissions are self-learning insofar as those who are deaf and blind are "self learning" in drivers education.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But I gotta say, the more I see people give their opinions on this 10 speed auto and its learning "curve". The more I wish Ford just gave us a 5.8 n/a hooked up to a 3 speed auto with overdrive. In other words, keep it simple, make it work.
Just spent a few days with my Dad's 2006 Silverado 1/2ton...4 speed auto.... towards the end of the trip I kind of chuckled at how it performed and how "great" we selectively remember the good ol' days being.
You get reminded when it goes from a severe lugged down state (OD) to the motor wanting to jump out from under the hood with a simple gear drop down to 3rd.

If I must have an auto, I'll take a quality 10 speed or CVT any time.

Sponsored

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's a lot more than that that's wrong with CVT transmissions. Never met one yet that hasn't been absolute and utter garbage, and when they fail they're extremely expensive to fix if you can even find a transmission shop that wants to touch them.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a lot more than that that's wrong with CVT transmissions. Never met one yet that hasn't been absolute and utter garbage, and when they fail they're extremely expensive to fix if you can even find a transmission shop that wants to touch them.
The Nissan I drove .... nope, no fucking way. Felt like an eternal slip happening.

Been happy with the Subaru I own and the others i drove .
Just recently learned of the cost to repair/replace.....$5K+..... at 135k on my Outback, time to sell.
Wanted to hold on to it until Bronco was here. :(

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Nissan I drove .... nope, no fucking way. Felt like an eternal slip happening.

Been happy with the Subaru I own and the others i drove .
Just recently learned of the cost to repair/replace.....$5K+..... at 135k on my Outback, time to sell.
Wanted to hold on to it until Bronco was here. :(
My coworker had a Nissan Altima I think and it broke and he couldn't find anywhere to work on it so it scrapped the car and bought something else.

Also I watched TFL off-road on youtube try to off-road a brand new Subaru Outback and it couldn't climb up hills. The trans freaked out and either slipped or completely killed power from the motor. It wasn't happy going up hills or over rocks. So while I'm sure it's fine for soccer mom's driving around the city in winter doing anything serious I wouldn't trust the trans. I'll never ever buy a CVT as long as I live.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My coworker had a Nissan Altima I think and it broke and he couldn't find anywhere to work on it so it scrapped the car and bought something else.

Also I watched TFL off-road on youtube try to off-road a brand new Subaru Outback and it couldn't climb up hills. The trans freaked out and either slipped or completely killed power from the motor. It wasn't happy going up hills or over rocks. So while I'm sure it's fine for soccer mom's driving around the city in winter doing anything serious I wouldn't trust the trans. I'll never ever buy a CVT as long as I live.
That r/r cost is what concerns me, if the tranny crapped out on me, that's half or more of the value of the car....that I intended to trade in next year.

I'll have to look that TFL video up.
I don't "offroad" it at all, but the start of the hill up to our hunting cabin is STEEP gravel ....as in must have a running start in 2wd steep.
None of our Subarus has ever had an issue like that, and I've crept up that hill just to test them out because they were new to me.

I don't get where the offroading an OB comes from anyways. They'll lift a tire hopping my curb at the end of my driveway for Chripes sake!

After hearing about the cost to repair/replace, I won't hold them for high miles, but I'll have a new one, no problem.
Just my experience and opinion, others may vary.

Sponsored

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That r/r cost is what concerns me, if the tranny crapped out on me, that's half or more of the value of the car....that I intended to trade in next year.

I'll have to look that TFL video up.
I don't "offroad" it at all, but the start of the hill up to our hunting cabin is STEEP gravel ....as in must have a running start in 2wd steep.
None of our Subarus has ever had an issue like that, and I've crept up that hill just to test them out because they were new to me.

I don't get where the offroading an OB comes from anyways. They'll lift a tire hopping my curb at the end of my driveway for Chripes sake!

After hearing about the cost to repair/replace, I won't hold them for high miles, but I'll have a new one, no problem.
Just my experience and opinion, others may vary.
It may have been a fluke or something too. It's been a while since I watched that. I've owned a few subarus and my close friend and family have owned a few dozen between them and compared to every other brand we've owned the subarus need constant work. Maybe not as bad as mercedes or land rover but I will never buy another new or used. The boxer engine is a terrible design and a pain to work on and parts are expensive and now they put the expensive CVT in everything too and their electronics and infotainment are a decade behind the times.

My mom and grandma both have 2019 Outbacks on a mid range and one pretty well optioned. My brother drives a 2004 Outback which replaced his 1997 Outback. My buddy drives a 2003 WRX and a 2001 Forester. I had a 2005 Subaru Baja and a 1991 Legacy and on and on... Never again. The part that sucks is they are one of only two brands who make a good all-wheel drive in a sedan or wagon.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They work well, and are fairly user tunable, in side by sides and snowmobiles.

I'd never have one in a passenger car though.
Sponsored