Sponsored

My Experence with having a hybrid (Poll)

Buy or Not

• Total voters

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife bought a Camry Hybrid new in 2007 still have it and the car has 253k miles on it.

First off we have loved the car it has never been in the shop it is 90% HWY miles.

But I will never buy another hybrid

Why?
Cost the car is the highest cost in its class. They say you get a tax credit but I didn't due to I make to much money if you can afford it you probably make to much money but that another story.

At the end of the day you don't really get that much better gas mileage maybe 4mpg real time.

Cost of repairs is insane yes I haven't had any and thank God a buddy works at the dealership just the AC compressor is $2000, New regular battery is $300-500, Hybrid Batteries $2000 these are cost not install thats stupid high. $125+hr (If I replace the hybrid batteries look at the impact I will have on the earth again and the car want even last that long)

Keep in mind being a hybrid the dealership only has 1 or 2 people that can even work on it and my buddy says its way harder to find the problems. He says on my car its common for this one single wire to burn up and need changing and it cost a ton to find if thats it then they run a new wire he says how that has to happen it calls for like 5hrs so at $125+hr.

Keep in mind when these thing happen it can just leave you on the side of the road.

Resale sucks why because no one wants to buy those type of problem after warranty and you want top $ because you pay top $.

I consider myself a green person I want to do my part (one of the reasons we got the car) But with age comes wisdom. (Personally I think batteries have a way worst impact on the earth)
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact

I work in the oil and gas industry but I want to be as green as I can be. (Its all about the money) We have more Natural Gas than we could ever use and we can run cars on it so why don't we its super clean MONEY we have so much its really not worth anything.

Also I'm sure the new stuff maybe better but it sometimes has a pause do to cutting off motor and running on battery yes its less then a second but if you drive it you will be like thats not cool. Its not a big deal after you drive it some but still never liked it.
Sponsored

Byrd-Burb

Black Diamond
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban LT (Camper), 2017 Hyundai Elantra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you add an option for an all electric vehicle. I'd like an all electric car for daily commuting personally. Hybrid, maybe?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Green is relative I guess. People tend to dismiss where the precious metals come, as well as where their electricity comes from. Kinda like the real carbon footprint of the production and use of ethanol. I'm all for cleaner technology and some day we'll get there, but I don't think right now one is "greener" than the other.

If people really want to be green, stop building new strip malls, stop clearing land for subdivisions, stop buying the newest phone every 6 months, stop buying new cars every 2-3 years, stop heating and cooling houses that are 10 times bigger than you need, etc.

I'm not convinced trading in my vehicles for newer battery powered ones is necessarily a plus on the green side, unless you only look at my personal consumption of fossil fuels.

Would I buy a hybrid, sure. My wife's next car most likely will be. Not because I think it in some way is saving the planet, but because it may offer some cost savings in the long run based on her usual usage.

If you ever get the chance, visit a strip mine in a third world country and see where all this cool technology we have comes from. It's actually pretty sad. I just hope I never see the Pebble mine in Alaska become a reality.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2018 Camry Hybrid that gets about 42 mpg. It’s loaded, comfortable, somewhat quick and I like to commute in it but It’s not “fun”. My STi is fun. A topless manual Bronco will be ”fun”

Edelfin

Big Bend
First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2016 Toyota Prius and my KBB is surprisingly high. I’ve averaged 55MPG the last five years and have no complaints. I think the tax credit is only for plug in vehicles now so you wouldn’t qualify with just a hybrid. The Bronco is still an off-road SUV and even with partial electric it won’t get nearly the same mileage. As much as the Hybrid/Electric trend is marketed as “green”, it’s a huge economic boon for auto makers. Only 5% of vehicles are electric right now but in just 10 years analysts project 40% will be.
Sponsored