First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just a quick opinion question. Which circle of hell would I go to if I did decide to LS swap this bad boy? My buddy said with how much life the body and frame has to say screw all the 80’s wiring and bullshit and just gut it. Said it will be way more reliable/easier to work on/fun.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just a quick opinion question. Which circle of hell would I go to if I did decide to LS swap this bad boy? My buddy said with how much life the body and frame has to say screw all the 80’s wiring and bullshit and just gut it. Said it will be way more reliable/easier to work on/fun.
Why stop at LS. 2JZ FTW!

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well my buddy who goes overkill on everything said to drop an LS in it and don’t look back... but if I’m being realistic probably a 4.0 from an early explorer/ranger. It bolts right up to the tranny and is a decent amount more powerful.
Punch you buddy in the face.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I still think a newer last gen Ranger would be the easiest. However, LS engines have tons of support. There are probably other LS Rangers to takes notes from. Can the body and frame handle it though? That much power starts a cascade effect on brakes, suspension,... and it end with $$$

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Punch you buddy in the face.
His point that makes a lot of sense is the wiring. He made the point that no matter what there will probably be electrical gremlins... just a fact of this stuff being almost 40 years old(and using 40 year old computers especially). Rip all that stuff out and get a Painless harness and just rewire the entire vehicle. It’s definitely tempting.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I still think a newer last gen Ranger would be the easiest. However, LS engines have tons of support. There are probably other LS Rangers to takes notes from. Can the body and frame handle it though? That much power starts a cascade effect on brakes, suspension,... and it end with $$$
The Dana 27 definitely ain’t so it’ll need new axles lol. But that was in the plan anyways. The frame I’m not super concerned about since it’s so clean, and this thing will just be an around town cruiser not going to do any serious off roading with it. He’s got an 87 CJ that he is doing the same thing with.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Dana 27 definitely ain’t so it’ll need new axles lol. But that was in the plan anyways. The frame I’m not super concerned about since it’s so clean, and this thing will just be an around town cruiser not going to do any serious off roading with it. He’s got an 87 CJ that he is doing the same thing with.
If it’s just for fun, do it! Seeing a Bronco II and CJ growling at a stop light is bound to confuse the hell out of people. 😁

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I always wanted to cut the top off mine like the big Bronco's but never got the nerve up.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I always wanted to cut the top off mine like the big Bronco's but never got the nerve up.
The back windows alone are worth $200+ so it’s kinda tempting lol. I probably won’t though.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Shame! Explorer 5.0 is another option and well documented.
Ranger Station swap guide
V8_engine_bay.jpg

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just found this bad boy for $800. My dad agreed to go 50/50 on it as our first project car, should be fun! I hardly even know where to start lol, but this thing should turn out pretty sweet!
Ford Bronco My first Bronco, 1986 Bronco II V8_engine_bay
How did you get your hands on such a vehicle?

Wait... you work for Ford’s marketing agency too?!
Sponsored