Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What oil did you use?
ok....... here's your laugh for the day..... I'm going to open myself up here.... I grew up on a farm and have changed oil on all types of equipment and vehicles and NEVER did this before..... BUT, I drained the oil out ( it was very thin and poured like water) and was letting drain out. While that was going on, I pulled the oil filter and got distracted with cleaning all that O ring mess up and then pouring half a quart out of my larger bottle of oil......I didn't put the plug back in...so, I flushed the engine with 7 1/2 quarts of amsoil..... $115 later and after I was done cussing at myself and worrying about Alzheimer's lol...I put the plug back in and went to o'riellys' and got Royal Purple, I've had good luck with that in my gen 1......... Enjoy ;)

OP
OP
raptorusmaximus

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Bronco aero is bad compared to the F-150, so they all suffer. The 37s on the Raptor hurts mpg a lot, and the extremely soft torque management really neuters off the line performance.

The Raptor's 6.2 shifted at about 5800, the Bronco Raptor shifts at about 6000, not a big difference in RPM.

A 6.2 in the Bronco would most definitely be sub-10mpg.
The 3.0 seems to work A LOT harder to do the same thing. Under moderate acceleration stop sign to 60 the gen 1 pulls hard and consistant and shifts between 2500 and 3k and gets to 60 maybe a sec sooner. The BR in normal mode shifts around 4k and will scream to 5-6 in sport mode for 2-5 gear, you really don't feel the turbo kick in until it hits 7th gear then the rpms drop to 2500. I'm sure most of this could be smoothed out with a proper tune.
I totally agree about the aerodynamics... the gen 1 was one of the most aerodynamically efficient f-150s ford ever produced. The Bronco....just like the Jeep, is a flying brick....
I have to admit, I'm partial to the 6.2, it seems like the right size engine for this weight truck. It purrs like a kitten and roars like a lion when it needs to, especially with a borla exhaust.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
why did you use 7.5 quarts? I thought the 3.0 takes 7?

Ford Bronco My first Bronco Raptor 3.0 engine oil change, impressions, things I would change 1670433683747

ok....... here's your laugh for the day..... I'm going to open myself up here.... I grew up on a farm and have changed oil on all types of equipment and vehicles and NEVER did this before..... BUT, I drained the oil out ( it was very thin and poured like water) and was letting drain out. While that was going on, I pulled the oil filter and got distracted with cleaning all that O ring mess up and then pouring half a quart out of my larger bottle of oil......I didn't put the plug back in...so, I flushed the engine with 7 1/2 quarts of amsoil..... $115 later and after I was done cussing at myself and worrying about Alzheimer's lol...I put the plug back in and went to o'riellys' and got Royal Purple, I've had good luck with that in my gen 1......... Enjoy ;)

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Last edited:

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Been there.... done that....

OP
OP
raptorusmaximus

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yep here ya go
Ford Bronco My first Bronco Raptor 3.0 engine oil change, impressions, things I would change BC0CD010-3713-49BA-BB21-4C5618CD5376

Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford e-mailed me a link to download a pdf file of my owners manual. Page 456 and 457 are for the 3.0L engine. This owners manual says capacity is 7 quarts.

Owners manual on line says 7.5

Good job Ford.

If my Raptor was not getting PPF installed, I would go see what the one in the vehicle said.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd laugh ... except I've been there. Maybe most people who change their own oil have at some point. Caught it before doing a "full flush" but still. Have also "double gasketed" the oil filter before--old oil filter gasket stays attached to the car, new filter doesn't seal as a result, oil sprays everywhere. Both things that you do ONCE, then check religiously ever after.

Code Orange

Raptor
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Changed oil for the first time today, 2500 miles. I thought the O rings were breaking down but after a closer examination it appears there's a sealant on the factory o rings. It took a while to clean up after they were removed, the housing was pretty messy. Its also a pain to get at the housing base to clean it, I can envision the base getting covered with dirt and dropping it into the housing during a change... is this something anyone's experienced? maybe a little carb cleaner or de-greaser before removal?
A word of warning, the oil came out so fast that I had to put the plug back in to let my drain pan catch up even though the oil was cold, almost overflowed....
Ford Bronco My first Bronco Raptor 3.0 engine oil change, impressions, things I would change BC0CD010-3713-49BA-BB21-4C5618CD5376

Ford engineers clearly put a lot of thought into this truck. I have a wish list for my next one...... Ford.. are you listening?
- PLEASE STOP making me clear stuff from the dash at start..... I know I'm buckled in....why do I need to clear a message saying so?? (yes, it clears after a min, still annoying) along with a host of other warnings etc... I hit OK 4 times every time I start and hit the R button.
- Why does everything have to reset after shut down..... is there SOME logical reason why ??
- Bigger gas tank please.....I get the same mileage I do with my tuned 12' gen 1 raptor, now I have to stop more often for fuel. Compared to my gen 1, bronco is a little slower and seems to rev much higher to get the same job done on a similar weight vehicle. I've decided If I blow up this engine, I'm putting a 6.2 in :) Why have all the complexity and cost if you get the same mileage?
- I've had FJ40's, scouts, 3 other bronco's and pickups all modified for off roading. After some offroading with the BR I can say this truck is in a class of one. It's almost too good and can give you a false sense of confidence....nice job Ford :cool:

I had the same result after my first oil change at 1,000 miles. I had an oil analysis done and the silicon level was very high (SEVERE level). There were no issues with any "wear contaminants" so I'm wondering if this could be the cause of the high silicon level?