First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was concerned too (at first), but I snuck over to a dealer a month before I ordered to tried out a ranger with the same 2.3L engine, and was 100% satisfied with the power levels. It also completely sealed the deal against a Tacoma which I was also entertaining, as the 3.5L in that thing is the most gutless engine ever made.

That and i figure if the power levels start to annoy me, there's always some fairly conservative tunes for the 2.3L that are pushing it to 320-330 hp and nearly 400tq. Tuning on FI engines is the best thing since sliced bread.
Also, not sure if you are located in a high altitude part of Arizona, but turbo engines do not lose as much power at high altitudes as regular gas engines. I never see this mentioned, but is certainly important, particularly if towing.
Sponsored

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Enjoy your football success while you can. I have some numbers for you: 2-10-1. That is Cooper's win/loss/tie vs UM. But, Harbaugh will never beat OSU.
Not lost on me. I grew up during the Cooper era. My dad was a classmate of Archie's so I cut my teeth (sometimes literally) at The Shoe.

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rides are not drives....there is a very distinct difference and if you have followed the release no one has given any driving impressions so far and no press has been allowed to drive.
This is why I am glad we have Bronco 6G. Ford ain't talking, so the 190,000 Faithful need help for info. We're about to spend $60,000. Why not spread the joy? (Baffled, grumbling, etc...)

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm down in the hot part, but I travel to northern Arizona fairly often. That is a huge benefit, yes. Not only do they not lose as much power, they basically lose next to nothing. As long as the turbo isn't running out of breath, it'll just dump more air into the mix to maintain the right trim levels.

I've got a buddy that does aftermarket tuning for VW's that's pretty excited for the bronco, because it's still using the same Bosch MED17 series ECU's that everyone else uses. yay powerrrrrr!

#warrantiesarefortheweak? :-D

Sponsored

2021BD

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JK Willys, '18 Mustang GT, '21 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For the record I am getting between 22 & 23 on the 2.3 that is in my Explorer for work. That is mixed Hwy/City. I only have about 1,000 miles on it so it may increase a bit after a bit more break in.
Yeah, 2021 Explorer 4x4 XLT with 2.3L here - we averaged 24.1 round trip to Florida and back with 600 lbs. in passengers, 300 in gear and including buzzing around south Florida for 2 weeks.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

MOST appreciated!
Avoid short trips (under 10min) and give it an Italian tune-up every once and a while and you'll be good.

You really don't have to worry about a meaningful amount of carbon buildup unless you drive slower than grandma up the street to church and back. After like 100k miles.

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is why I am glad we have Bronco 6G. Ford ain't talking, so the 190,000 Faithful need help for info. We're about to spend $60,000. Why not spread the joy? (Baffled, grumbling, etc...)
Several videos have quotes from drivers about how it drives and handles, in more detail, particularly off road.

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah, 2021 Explorer 4x4 XLT with 2.3L here - we averaged 24.1 round trip to Florida and back with 600 lbs. in passengers, 300 in gear and including buzzing around south Florida for 2 weeks.
Rain Man and I agree: You are an excellent driver!

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I always felt this was a silly thing to worry about - seems like Hyundai spooked everyone about DI motors and now everyone is acting like every DI engine will need a complete rebuild/cleanout at 100k miles. There are lots of DI engines out there without this issue - I know because I have one. 2015 Mazda6 with 102000 miles and runs like the day I bought it.

UGABronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CT6, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Jeleous, but intrigued and hot n bothered. :)

This is awesome. Boy ohh boy, swear I never thought you Michigan boys had any advantages, I mean with the state of Wolverine football and all.... I kid, sorta.

But the proximity to Ford has paid off. Glad for you and thanks for sharing. You're posts usually do share great info, so keep em coming!
Not very nice for the rich (Bama fans) to make fun of the poor (Michigan fans). Pick on someone your own size .... see you next year! GO DAWGS!

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not very nice for the rich (Bama fans) to make fun of the poor (Michigan fans). Pick on someone your own size .... see you next year! GO DAWGS!
Who are these dawgs? Do you mean dogs? Mississippi State maybe? I like their coach.

NotAnonymous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I always felt this was a silly thing to worry about - seems like Hyundai spooked everyone about DI motors and now everyone is acting like every DI engine will need a complete rebuild/cleanout at 100k miles. There are lots of DI engines out there without this issue - I know because I have one. 2015 Mazda6 with 102000 miles and runs like the day I bought it.
I appreciate that - I'm coming from a position of relative ignorance and I know there are plenty of folks here who are.far more knowledgeable than am I!
Sponsored