xcntrk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just thought I’d share some details of my flat tow set up. Latest version of BlueOx baseplate, Assent towbar, Patriot brake system, and wired the brake lights directly using diodes. I also ran a dedicated charge line to keep the bronco battery topped off while under tow.

Ford Bronco My flat tow setup w/ Blue Ox baseplate, Assent towbar, Patriot brake system, direct wired brake lights IMG_2390

Ford Bronco My flat tow setup w/ Blue Ox baseplate, Assent towbar, Patriot brake system, direct wired brake lights IMG_2387

Ford Bronco My flat tow setup w/ Blue Ox baseplate, Assent towbar, Patriot brake system, direct wired brake lights IMG_2321

Ford Bronco My flat tow setup w/ Blue Ox baseplate, Assent towbar, Patriot brake system, direct wired brake lights IMG_2323
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Jmor

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Great rig and setup. Well done

Brian’sBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands/17 Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why did you buy the baseplate when the recovery brackets on the mod bumper could be used?

Sponsored
OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why did you buy the baseplate when the recovery brackets on the mod bumper could be used?
Those brackets are cast metal and held on to the front of the frame ears with 3 bolts. They rely on tensile strength of the bolts (threads) only. Fine for the occasion recovery pull, but not ideal for thousands of miles of towing.

In comparison the baseplate inserts inside the frame with bolts that run through the width of the frame (shear strength) in addition to reusing the 3 frame ears hardware. The BlueOx kit also comes with safety cables you wrap around the frame and attach to the baseplate for extra protection from break away. I would’ve love to use the existing recovery brackets but they’re just not safe enough.

Last edited:

Brian’sBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sucks I opted for the mod bumper to use like others had, looks like I may have to rethink my setup. I’m wondering if an after market bumper with weld on recovery tabs might be a better option.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice setup and beautiful coach!

I need to finally get around to wiring in the tow lights instead of the drag lights I've been using and taping to the inside of the rear window on trips LOL. What did you use for an the umbilical?

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice setup and beautiful coach!

I need to finally get around to wiring in the tow lights instead of the drag lights I've been using and taping to the inside of the rear window on trips LOL. What did you use for an the umbilical?
I used a standard 7/6 umbilical and connector. It passes the brake, turn, and 12v from the coach to the toad. Then I used a BlueOx diode wiring kit to use the factory LED lights. The 12v runs up to the battery as a charge kit when under tow.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sucks I opted for the mod bumper to use like others had, looks like I may have to rethink my setup. I’m wondering if an after market bumper with weld on recovery tabs might be a no
Go over to the “flat tow equipment needed to flat tow a 2021 Bronco” thread and read the last few posts.

Sponsored

Ranbronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It took so long to get our Bronco, we rigged our Ranger for towing. Now that we've been towing the Ranger, we got spoiled. I don't think we will be rigging the Bronco for flat towing - unless the new 2024 Ranger is not flat towable.
Glad to see other companies are offering baseplates for the Bronco. I'm not into modifying the skid plate just to fit the tow equipment.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sucks I opted for the mod bumper to use like others had, looks like I may have to rethink my setup. I’m wondering if an after market bumper with weld on recovery tabs might be a better option.
Looks like there might still be some options to keeping and strengthening the factory recovery points for use flat-towing:

https://lobooffroad.com/product/crash-bar-erase-brace-kit-bronco/
https://lodoffroad.com/products/2021-bronco-black-ops-front-bumper-frame-tie-in-brackets
https://www.roughcountry.com/tow-hook-shackle-conversion-kit-rs171c.html

Brian’sBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I saw the Lobo brace this morning and thought that might be just the ticket since I’m probably cutting the crash bars like everyone else. I wish I had seen the RC tow hooks, could’ve saved me the price of the Mod bumper.🤦‍♂️
Sponsored