bpesto

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi, RAV4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BTW, Blue Ox has another style that does require slight trimming of the plastic on the Modular Bumper. I like the way the safety cable bracket is here. The ones that angle down might be bent up with a pretty good tug on them, especially with the shackles in them that could increase the leverage.

See attached.

Baseplate Option.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pretty clean install on the base plate.
I've got the modular bumper and want to mount the Blue Ox baseplate. It looks like it's just a bolt on setup (after removing any parts to gain access for the install). Was there any trimming of anything with the mod bumper. And can you confirm the Blue Ox part number for the base plate?
Yes, you have to trim the inner plate behind the mod bumper. You’ll want to check the BlueOx website for the latest baseplate part number. Looks like they have 2 different versions depending on dynamic cruise control.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BTW, Blue Ox has another style that does require slight trimming of the plastic on the Modular Bumper. I like the way the safety cable bracket is here. The ones that angle down might be bent up with a pretty good tug on them, especially with the shackles in them that could increase the leverage.

See attached.

Ford Bronco My flat tow setup w/ Blue Ox baseplate, Assent towbar, Patriot brake system, direct wired brake lights Baseplate Option
That is actually an older design. The new version has the breakaway mount sticking straight down. It sticks out beyond the bumper in bother versions

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP, any follow up on using the Patriot Brake system? We're a few months out from purchasing our RV and I'm digging into what braking system I want to use. The Patriot is a little pricey but I like the idea of not having to tie or cut into any systems.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, any follow up on using the Patriot Brake system? We're a few months out from purchasing our RV and I'm digging into what braking system I want to use. The Patriot is a little pricey but I like the idea of not having to tie or cut into any systems.
It works and the remote controller is really nice, but I definitely wouldn’t buy it again. It’s strictly inertia based as an ONLY source of brake engagement. I’d rather use surge brakes! Other units use 2 or even 3 sources of brake engagement.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It works and the remote controller is really nice, but I definitely wouldn’t buy it again. It’s strictly inertia based as an ONLY source of brake engagement. I’d rather use surge brakes! Other units use 2 or even 3 sources of brake engagement.
Great feedback. I know that unit was pricey. I still have time as we haven't bought the RV yet. I have been looking at the Ready Brake surge brake set up. That has some appeal in not relying on electronics. I'm not keen on having the actuating cable sticking out the front.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Great feedback. I know that unit was pricey. I still have time as we haven't bought the RV yet. I have been looking at the Ready Brake surge brake set up. That has some appeal in not relying on electronics. I'm not keen on having the actuating cable sticking out the front.
Just another opinion: I use the RVI which is also an inertia system, and am very happy with it.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP, another follow up question. The Blue Ox diode kit...did I read the instructions correctly that you needed to cut the wiring at each light and integrate the diodes and wiring? Are you happy with the results?

BTW, I decided to remove my recovery points (MOD bumper) and go with Blue Ox connection points like you have. I know they can be reinforced but I'm erring on the side of caution until I see something from Ford that says its OK to use for flat towing.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OP, another follow up question. The Blue Ox diode kit...did I read the instructions correctly that you needed to cut the wiring at each light and integrate the diodes and wiring? Are you happy with the results?

BTW, I decided to remove my recovery points (MOD bumper) and go with Blue Ox connection points like you have. I know they can be reinforced but I'm erring on the side of caution until I see something from Ford that says its OK to use for flat towing.
I use the Curt 58996 which is plug and play for non LED, they have 58992 which is for LRD. My kit came with an auxiliary pig tail that can be used to set up trailer wiring as well using a Curt kit.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I use the Curt 58996 which is plug and play for non LED, they have 58992 which is for LRD. My kit came with an auxiliary pig tail that can be used to set up trailer wiring as well using a Curt kit.
Thanks. I picked up the LED version and will install it over the holiday weekend. The remaining things to figure out are what the umbilical will look like and tying the Curt kit into a plug. I also want to set up a battery charging circuit to keep the Bronco battery topped off.

Sponsored

BigRed

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does the dash power port stay on when flat towing? Worried that power from the dash power port would time out leaving the brake suddenly inoperable?

BigRed

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks. I picked up the LED version and will install it over the holiday weekend. The remaining things to figure out are what the umbilical will look like and tying the Curt kit into a plug. I also want to set up a battery charging circuit to keep the Bronco battery topped off.
I have a 2023 Outer Banks with LED lighting and was wondering did the Curt #58992 work for you? Read several reports on Amazon that the harness didn't work on the Bronco? Etrailer also has notes that they can't confirm proper application or Fitment on Bronco??

Thanks

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a 2023 Outer Banks with LED lighting and was wondering did the Curt #58992 work for you? Read several reports on Amazon that the harness didn't work on the Bronco? Etrailer also has notes that they can't confirm proper application or Fitment on Bronco??

Thanks
I actually didn't install it as I've decided to go a different route. I decided to not use my Bronco for flat towing and instead picked up a dedicated vehicle for that.

If you decide to go that route, I've got it still boxed up sitting on my bench in the garage. I'd be willing to let go of it for less than what I bought it for. PM if you'd like.
Sponsored