Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would an ABS filament perform better under hot conditions?
Yes but ABS sucks for printing. For sitting on the dash and being weight bearing, ABS, Nylon, and other more difficult materials are needed. PLA and PETG are unlikely to survive summer.
Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 3D printer so I decided to draw up and print a mini accessory rail. The picatinny rail section I had is only 5.5 inches but you can buy longer ones on amazon. (This is just what I had already).

I should put up the disclaimer that I don't have high hopes of this holding up on hot summer days but its not hot right now, and there's nothing on the market anyway!

So far it works great, just wrapped up a 1000 mile road trip up to Copper Harbor and back with well over 50 miles off-road. Everything held firm and steady and it didn't take long for it to feel like a seamlessly integrated part of the Bronco.

The Rail: It is just a 5.5" aluminum pic rail from amazon (part of a bundle I bought previously) and a 3D printed base. The rail has two screws which fasten it to the PLA base, but I also opted to add superglue to make sure the rail isn't coming off easily. I designed the base to use the same accessory mount and to fit firmly over the center pocket on the dash.

The phone mount: I am a huge fan of the magnetic phone mount, why people use anything else is beyond me (unless you are literally racing the baja 1000). I designed the mounts to fit with a generic amazon magnetic mount and included a slot so they can easily slide onto the pic rail. There is a bolt through the back of the mount to tighten it down once you have it in position.

I would consider selling these but honestly I can't imagine a price high enough to be worth my time, while being low enough that anyone else would want to pay for it, especially considering there's a high chance its going to look deflated come the first 90° day next summer.

1634585733909.png

1634585776350.png

1634585787746.png

1634585802762.png
Looks fantastic!!

FYSA, companies are making rails now: https://www.bronco6g.com/bam-byodr-...ing-your-own-device-rail-by-archetype-racing/

Great job!! Gotta feel satisfying to make your own 😎

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have fun dealing with the hundreds of requests to buy this... :ROFLMAO:

By the way, how do I buy one? Looks awesome!

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
which 3d printer did you use?

acbaldwi`

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangle, 2005 for Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ill just ask like any other 3dprinting group "STL?" :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

which 3d printer did you use?
I have a Creality CR-10S its pretty nice as far as entry level rigs go. You can get by with less and obviously you can get much much nicer ones too.

acbaldwi`

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangle, 2005 for Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Creality CR-10S its pretty nice as far as entry level rigs go. You can get by with less and obviously you can get much much nicer ones too.

Ill try one in petg see if it survives..... ive had some success in petg in a car before so you might get away with that
if not ill throw it up in ASA :)

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i was thinking the same. Abs or PETG would probably hold up with the heat a little better.
I may try that eventually but this will get me through next spring without a problem and PLA is just so easy to get good prints out of and its really fairly strong for what it is.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Updated with link to file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5024535

I have a 3D printer so I decided to draw up and print a mini accessory rail. The picatinny rail section I had is only 5.5 inches but you can buy longer ones on amazon. (This is just what I had already).

I should put up the disclaimer that I don't have high hopes of this holding up on hot summer days but its not hot right now, and there's nothing on the market anyway!

So far it works great, just wrapped up a 1000 mile road trip up to Copper Harbor and back with well over 50 miles off-road. Everything held firm and steady and it didn't take long for it to feel like a seamlessly integrated part of the Bronco.

The Rail: It is just a 5.5" aluminum pic rail from amazon (part of a bundle I bought previously) and a 3D printed base. The rail has two screws which fasten it to the PLA base, but I also opted to add superglue to make sure the rail isn't coming off easily. I designed the base to use the same accessory mount and to fit firmly over the center pocket on the dash.

The phone mount: I am a huge fan of the magnetic phone mount, why people use anything else is beyond me (unless you are literally racing the baja 1000). I designed the mounts to fit with a generic amazon magnetic mount and included a slot so they can easily slide onto the pic rail. There is a bolt through the back of the mount to tighten it down once you have it in position.

I would consider selling these but honestly I can't imagine a price high enough to be worth my time, while being low enough that anyone else would want to pay for it, especially considering there's a high chance its going to look deflated come the first 90° day next summer.

1634585733909.png

1634585776350.png

1634585787746.png

1634585802762.png
Nice job!

Sponsored

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much do you want and where should I send the check?
If you don't have a printer, or a friend with a printer and really want this thing, go ahead and PM me! If enough people are interested I may dedicate some time to perfect the design and maybe work with a better material. Or if you just want this version, in PLA, right now let me know. I just have to remind everyone that it wont likely last through the summer heat.

It wont be as cool or durable as the link above :LOL:

RednWhite89

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you don't have a printer, or a friend with a printer and really want this thing, go ahead and PM me! If enough people are interested I may dedicate some time to perfect the design and maybe work with a better material. Or if you just want this version, in PLA, right now let me know. I just have to remind everyone that it wont likely last through the summer heat.

It wont be as cool or durable as the link above :LOL:
Looks great! I'll add that some public libraries have 3D printer services for reasonable fees. People without printers, that only want to print this one item, could look into it as another option.

Last edited:

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is amazing. For those that don't have a 3D printer, I have one and an Etsy account that I could print them for people at my cost for printing them. I'll post something once I get time. I would just print the part, you would be required to assemble and purchase your own rail.
Sponsored