chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
With Ford's COO stating the Bronco will be better than Wrangler and my personal feeling that Ford must match the performance of all the Wrangler models...

I am guesstimating that at launch there will be a Rubicon equivalent at launch.. A Raptor would have to exceed the Rubicon's capability.

Launching without a full competitor to the Jeep "halo" seems to be a poor recipe...

Am I wishing too much???
Sponsored

JTL2017

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano...sadly
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Didn't someone say on here that there's a rubicon fighter named Warthog?

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel pretty confident that we’ll see some sort of rubicon competitor at launch whether it’s an FX4, Raptor, Tremor, or whatever name. I’d bet on 315/70/17 tires, rear e-locker, at least a front Torsen diff, and possibly some sort of active front suspension that helps to simulate the articulation of a sway-bar disconnected SFA. We’ve seen too many big-tired mules for them not to have them available.

I’d bet that they’ll choose a name that leaves them room for an even more badass off-roader in a few years. Maybe use the FX4 as the Rubicon competitor and leave the Bronco Raptor in a class of its own.

Last edited:

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Didn't someone say on here that there's a rubicon fighter named Warthog?
I haven’t seen any evidence supporting that name. Seems like just a forum nickname.

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the 2.7 ecoboost slaps the shit out of the top of the line wrangler. So much so they shouldnt sell the other engine for the car.

The question is , is ford going to do a bigger engine for the raptor. And what engine could fit inside it. People WANT a v8 but people say the engine bay isnt big enough.

since the bronco raptor is launching much later. Could it be a completely different physical product that could hold such an engine?

Sponsored

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the 2.7 ecoboost slaps the shit out of the top of the line wrangler. So much so they shouldnt sell the other engine for the car.

The question is , is ford going to do a bigger engine for the raptor. And what engine could fit inside it. People WANT a v8 but people say the engine bay isnt big enough.

since the bronco raptor is launching much later. Could it be a completely different physical product that could hold such an engine?
Not a chance. No way that the top of the line Bronco will step on the toes of the F-150 Raptor.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I feel pretty confident that we’ll see some sort of rubicon competitor at launch whether it’s an FX4, Raptor, Tremor, or whatever name. I’d bet on 315/70/17 tires, rear e-locker, at least a front Torsen diff, and possibly some sort of active front suspension that helps to simulate the articulation of a sway-bar disconnected SFA. We’ve seen too many big-tired mules for them not to have them available.

I’d bet that they’ll choose a name that leaves them room for an even more badass off-roader in a few years. Maybe use the FX4 as the Rubicon competitor and leave the Bronco Raptor in a class of its own.
Agreed.

The Bronco shouldn't take too much to be on par with the Rubicon for most* offroading circumstances.

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not a chance. No way that the top of the line Bronco will step on the toes of the F-150 Raptor.
this is their future $$$ maker. outside of the f150

It makes no sense not to put a ballsy loud engine in it. All the videos of the bronco R baja truck sound like a go cart and that is apparently using the same 2.7 twin turbo

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

It makes no sense not to put a ballsy loud engine in it. All the videos of the bronco R baja truck sound like a go cart and that is apparently using the same 2.7 twin turbo
Raptor only has a V6, no way does the Bronco get a V8 while Raptor owners are making fart noises all over town.

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I just don’t understand why so many people care about sound.

The 2.3 will outperform all of Jeep’s gassers and the 2.7 and/or 3.0 will wipe the floor with them (ecodiesel included).

Bronco doesn’t need the 3.5 or the 5.0, although I would order the 5.0 purely for nostalgia’s sake, even though I believe the 2.7/3.0/3.5 will outperform it at my elevation.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco Tremor.

37s on 1 ton stick axles, 7.3 godzilla.

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Raptor only has a V6, no way does the Bronco get a V8 while Raptor owners are making fart noises all over town.
raptor has a 3.5L v6 vs the golf cart 2.7L that the bronco is supposed to have.

Broncos traditionally had a v8. And there is no reason in the future that ford wont put a completely nutjob engine in the pickup raptor.

People want v8's

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just don’t understand why so many people care about sound.

The 2.3 will outperform all of Jeep’s gassers and the 2.7 and/or 3.0 will wipe the floor with them (ecodiesel included).

Bronco doesn’t need the 3.5 or the 5.0, although I would order the 5.0 purely for nostalgia’s sake, even though I believe the 2.7/3.0/3.5 will outperform it at my elevation.
sound matters because we are in the transition period of electric vehicles. If these cars are built to last. In 10 years there will be electric trucks that dominate all off road vehicles in performance . The soul of trucks is in the sound.

Ford would be dumb to ignore that

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco Tremor.

37s on 1 ton stick axles, 7.3 godzilla.
Sounds great to me. Hell just slap a four door bronco body on a regular cab F-250 and I would be thrilled. Rubicon would go extinct.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

While that torque is a welcome addition, and beyond the 3.0 ecodiesel, it would be nice if FCA had something better than the 3.6 Pentastar, people have been wheeling with the 3.6 or the 3.8 for years. The real question is what off road suspension and axle capabilities will each Bronco trim level have versus its Wrangler equivalent.

So far we haven’t seen video or photo evidence of a “warthog” Bronco on the more difficult trails a stock Rubicon is designed for and capable of. Much less the even more difficult ones a Rubicon owner can take on with a relatively limited investment in lift, tire and a little armor.

We’re still waiting ...
Sponsored