Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How hard are you going to flog it in the desert? I would never drive a production car as hard as the ride I was on. It was impressive to see it done but I don't want to do that to something I own. I would be going 30 mph and not 60 mph on those trails. I'm sure the stability control help plenty but are you really going to push it that hard?
I won't push THAT hard, but the Baja mode sounds impressive and I'd like the option to play with it if I could. That said, I think I've abandoned my initial plan of a Badlands and I'm pretty much split between getting a Wildtrak with high/lux or just plain old BaseSquatch. Thanks for all of your responses.
Sponsored

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I stopped by KOH yesterday to get a look at the new Bronco while I can still change my BaseSquatch order. Little did I know that they where giving 30 minute rides in them. Let me give you a little about me so you can put my opinions into prospective. I'm 54 years old and owned my first Jeep at age 18. In the late 1980's our family business ran a few buggies and trucks in SCORE and Baja. I own a 1967 bronco and daily a 2016 fullsized Range Rover. The Range Rover currently rides on 32" all terrain tires and is actually very good off road for anything short of rock crawling... It would do better than expected on the rocks but I don't want to have to pay to fix body damage on that! With that background here is my take and because these are preproduction units I won't pick at the fit of any parts.

Appearance
  • The 2 door proportions are perfect and it is really stunning in person. The 4 door proportion seem a little off to me. I'm sure that will piss off a bunch of you.
  • The 35" tires really make it look the part even if the 33" tires still function just fine. More on the 33" tire in the performance section.
  • The MGV looks and feels very nice. No it isn't going to make think it is the leather in the Range Rover but it's better then expected. I'm not sure the partial leather is worth the extra money. My concern is that black vinyl, sun and heat don't make for good traveling companions. Take the top off with the sun out and you will look like you wet your shorts when you exit the vehicle.
  • The dash is one big expanse of hard plastic. For the life of me I don't understand why they couldn't do something better then that. In fact this is really my only complaint with the entire truck.
Performance
  • I got a ride in a soft top 4 door badlands with the stock badlands suspension, 33" tires, 4 cylinder, manual transmission.
  • The 4 cylinder provides plenty of power. You really don't need more grunt out of it. It accelerated plenty hard and pulled very steep soft sand hills in the crawl gear while still in high range. I would understand wanting more power if you were towing but the truck only has a 3,500 pound tow rating so really what are you going to use the extra power for anyway.
  • Much like my Rover it has different "modes" but really if you know what you are doing the modes aren't all that important. As our proffessional driver said, "they are there to help the novice off-roader".
  • The disconnectable sway bar is for real. It is very impressive and is making me wonder if I don't want to switch from my BaseSquatch to Bandlands. Of course that is a lot of money for that one feature. Perhaps there will be simple manual disconnect in the aftermarket.
  • The suspension is amazing! Ford has really done their homework on this. We were going 50 mph through the bumps and it only hit the stops a few times and when it did hit it wasn't hard. When I talked to the driver about that afterwards he confirmed that the shocks have some secondary valving as they approach the limit of travel. The truck was extremely stable at high speed while still being soft enough to flex over rocks when going slow. You could hear the stability control at work independently brake wheels to help stabilize the truck. Ford definitely spent some time sorting this truck out.
  • The tailgate rattled endlessly and reminded me of my jeep in the 80's. I think it is too big of an ask to hang a large heavy wheel on the tailgate and not expect it to shake off road. I suspect many people will move to a steel rear bumper with a bumper mounted spare tire carrier.
  • The 33" tires on the 4 door look a little small but they get the job done just fine off road.
  • The hill decent control was impressive. We went down a 26 degree hill with the computer managing all the braking.
It entire truck far exceeded my expectations at every level. My only complaint is that ugly hard plastic dash. I'm more excited then ever to take delivery of my BaseSquatch.
The dash is one of my favorite things about the new Bronco, it doesn’t look like EVERY other vehicle on the road with that awful curve and its straight like it should be. What modern vehicle doesn’t have a plastic dash? Wood accents and such that are glued on an otherwise plastic dash doesn't do it for me, or does so called soft touch that is just cheap foam and likely to crack. Another great thing about this dash is the screen doesn't stick up like its an afterthought. Durability is the most important, and I think its a perfect fit for the Bronco. You don't take your Land Rover off road because it's to nice -- enough said...

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s funny, I almost always agree with that EXCEPT with the new Bronco.

I think the 2 door looks weird and stubby while the 4 door looks properly proportioned.

Funny how subjective these things are.:)
Me too! Same with the dash, I think it looks awesome and durable, not cookie cutter like every other vehicle. Funny how so many (car reviewers) complain about hard plastic -- what do they think is under glued on wood accents? Doesn't do it for me.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got the impression that the OP was commenting on the cheapness of the dash components (hard plastic) rather than the plainness of the aesthetics.
Yea I suppose. Not like its an Explorer or Navigator. I imagine it should be easy to wipe down and clean. Of course I'm not a fan of the textured dash in one of the trims I saw earlier.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I remember a lot of people made fun of FJ Cruiser having so much plastic (dash included). I think Bronco beats the FJ in that area.
The dash I've seen on these pre-production Broncos is shiny and really cheap looking for a $50K SUV.

The photos of the concept models showing the light gray/white dash had some textured finish on top, but I have not seen that on any of the demo models.

They could at least use the smooth matte finish like on the newer Jeeps.
The dash top should have a textured finish. What you're referring to were pre-production pieces without the texture to save costs because they're just testing fitment, installation, etc., and not concerned about the look at that stage of the process.

Sponsored

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I stopped by KOH yesterday to get a look at the new Bronco while I can still change my BaseSquatch order. Little did I know that they where giving 30 minute rides in them. Let me give you a little about me so you can put my opinions into prospective. I'm 54 years old and owned my first Jeep at age 18. In the late 1980's our family business ran a few buggies and trucks in SCORE and Baja. I own a 1967 bronco and daily a 2016 fullsized Range Rover. The Range Rover currently rides on 32" all terrain tires and is actually very good off road for anything short of rock crawling... It would do better than expected on the rocks but I don't want to have to pay to fix body damage on that! With that background here is my take and because these are preproduction units I won't pick at the fit of any parts.

Appearance
  • The 2 door proportions are perfect and it is really stunning in person. The 4 door proportion seem a little off to me. I'm sure that will piss off a bunch of you.
  • The 35" tires really make it look the part even if the 33" tires still function just fine. More on the 33" tire in the performance section.
  • The MGV looks and feels very nice. No it isn't going to make think it is the leather in the Range Rover but it's better then expected. I'm not sure the partial leather is worth the extra money. My concern is that black vinyl, sun and heat don't make for good traveling companions. Take the top off with the sun out and you will look like you wet your shorts when you exit the vehicle.
  • The dash is one big expanse of hard plastic. For the life of me I don't understand why they couldn't do something better then that. In fact this is really my only complaint with the entire truck.
Performance
  • I got a ride in a soft top 4 door badlands with the stock badlands suspension, 33" tires, 4 cylinder, manual transmission.
  • The 4 cylinder provides plenty of power. You really don't need more grunt out of it. It accelerated plenty hard and pulled very steep soft sand hills in the crawl gear while still in high range. I would understand wanting more power if you were towing but the truck only has a 3,500 pound tow rating so really what are you going to use the extra power for anyway.
  • Much like my Rover it has different "modes" but really if you know what you are doing the modes aren't all that important. As our proffessional driver said, "they are there to help the novice off-roader".
  • The disconnectable sway bar is for real. It is very impressive and is making me wonder if I don't want to switch from my BaseSquatch to Bandlands. Of course that is a lot of money for that one feature. Perhaps there will be simple manual disconnect in the aftermarket.
  • The suspension is amazing! Ford has really done their homework on this. We were going 50 mph through the bumps and it only hit the stops a few times and when it did hit it wasn't hard. When I talked to the driver about that afterwards he confirmed that the shocks have some secondary valving as they approach the limit of travel. The truck was extremely stable at high speed while still being soft enough to flex over rocks when going slow. You could hear the stability control at work independently brake wheels to help stabilize the truck. Ford definitely spent some time sorting this truck out.
  • The tailgate rattled endlessly and reminded me of my jeep in the 80's. I think it is too big of an ask to hang a large heavy wheel on the tailgate and not expect it to shake off road. I suspect many people will move to a steel rear bumper with a bumper mounted spare tire carrier.
  • The 33" tires on the 4 door look a little small but they get the job done just fine off road.
  • The hill decent control was impressive. We went down a 26 degree hill with the computer managing all the braking.
It entire truck far exceeded my expectations at every level. My only complaint is that ugly hard plastic dash. I'm more excited then ever to take delivery of my BaseSquatch.
Did you happen to take any pics of the 2door vs 4door badlands models? Been searching the threads but havent seen any from KOH that show both 2 & 4. Much appreciated.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am curious about longevity. I have never had a boat so I don't have any experience with MGV long term. Is anyone concerned with cracking over time ?
Having owned vehicles with leather and several VWs with “synthetic leather” (leatherette in VW’s language) I’ll tell you the real stuff will likely crack far sooner than the synthetic stuff.

Synthetic leather is by far my favorite automotive seating surface. My seats in my Jetta wagon still looked brand new at 120k miles, and that’s with a wife and 3 kids. That stuff takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Doesn’t stretch and buckle like leather, nor does it stain your clothes or your clothes stain it. I’m stoked Ford is offering it in the Bronco. Hope it’s as good as VW’s stuff.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's why I tow it to the trail with a Class A motor home, wife insists on flush toilets and a shower, and at my age sleeping in a cramped space is a non-starter! I car camped across Europe in my youth, with the operative word being 'Youth'
At least you didn't say "Youts".

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base

Appearance
Performance
It entire truck far exceeded my expectations at every level. My only complaint is that ugly hard plastic dash. I'm more excited then ever to take delivery of my Base Squatch.
I agree I don't like leather of vinyl, especially black. Yes the 2 door looks WAY better than 4 door, and 35's look great too, all of which is why I'm ordering a Base Sasquatch with 2.7/auto. I think in 1-2 years there will be SO MANY aftermarket parts that spending 10k just to get one or 2 options is a bad decision. Actually I think it would more than 10 k. Good post thanks for the ride report too.

Sponsored

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appearance
Performance

You mention the below... Do you have any pictures to support this? I had a very tough decision to shift from 2-door to 4-door, but now considering going back. However there is that video of the black 2-door with black top where the 6'2 guy has issues getting in and out. What sway's me toward the 4 door is my son and I can actually sleep in it if necessary, and any family trips (3 of us) everything can fit into it w/o having to pack on top or on hitch carrier. Still mostly on a 4-door but my soul wants a 2. .. .so just wondering if you snapped any pics of the Badlands 2 vs 4 door at KoH. Thank you!

"
Appearance
  • The 2 door proportions are perfect and it is really stunning in person. The 4 door proportion seem a little off to me. I'm sure that will piss off a bunch of you."

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s funny, I almost always agree with that EXCEPT with the new Bronco.

I think the 2 door looks weird and stubby while the 4 door looks properly proportioned.

Funny how subjective these things are.:)
I mean, if you want a Ford Wrangler I guess so. But if you want a Bronco, it can't be properly proportioned. But hey, subjective things.
Sponsored