mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not necessarily so. The most important thing to keep in mind is, how will you use your Bronco? I’m not talking about the dreams of tearing off across the desert, clawing up rock walls, etc. Be honest with yourself, how WILL you use it? Then maybe build it a little beyond that now, or plan on upgrades after a few years.
I keep getting caught up in the hype and dreams, but each time remind myself of how I’ll ACTUALLY use it—at least at first. Looks are important to me too. I want to like what I see every time I walk up to my Bronco, but I’m not going to let what others think looks good to influence what I build or how I spend my money.
Thanks. A little jealous of all the videos, photos, and chatter on this forum. Big Bend on 32s gets portrayed as a pretend Bronco. You don’t seem a lot of videos/ photos and chatter about those stock models. Just like everything else, the higher end trims get more fanfare. I think the big bend model should be manageable for light off roading. Bigger tires maybe in time IF they can handle high miles / year
Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks. A little jealous of all the videos, photos, and chatter on this forum. Big Bend on 32s gets portrayed as a pretend Bronco. You don’t seem a lot of videos/ photos and chatter about those stock models. Just like everything else, the higher end trims get more fanfare. I think the big bend model should be manageable for light off roading. Bigger tires maybe in time IF they can handle high miles / year
I’ve been wheeling for almost 30 years, a lot of it around Moab. Most of that wheeling was done in an 89 Runner with 31” tires and later in a 98 Cherokee with 31” tires. Both with open diffs—no lockers. It taught me how to drive and how to pick a line. I drove a lot of trails that people didn’t think I could. Trails that the Easter Jeep Safari folks now require 33s and with lockers in both axles.
One of my most satisfying wheeling moments was at an Easter Jeep Safari event on the Steel Bender trail. With only 31” tires and open diffs, I walked that Jeep up a long rocky, boulder strewn climb. When we gathered at the top, the driver of the Jeep (35s and locked front and rear) behind me complemented my driving and asked if I had lockers. He was shocked when I said no.
I’m confident that a BB with 32s will take you places you’d never think it could. As soon as you can upgrade the mild passenger AT tires to LT265/70R17 ATs or MTs and your Bronco will be anything but a pretender. Also consider adding the optional rear locker. You won’t regret paying the extra cost for that. If it wasn’t for the MGV seats, I would have ordered a BB instead of a BD.

Last edited:

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve been wheeling for almost 30 years, a lot of it around Moab. Most of that wheeling was done in an 89 Runner with 31” tires and later in a 98 Cherokee with 31” tires. Both with open diffs—no lockers. It taught me how to drive and how to pick a line. I drove a lot of trails that people didn’t think I could. Trails that the Easter Jeep Safari folks now require 33s and with lockers in both axles.
One of my most satisfying wheeling moments was at an Easter Jeep Safari event on the Steel Bender trail. With only 31” tires and open diffs, I walked that Jeep up a long rocky, boulder strewn climb. When we gathered at the top, the driver of the Jeep (35s and locked front and rear) behind me complemented my driving and asked if I had lockers. He was shocked when I said no.
I’m confident that a BB with 32s will take you places you’d never think it could. As soon as you can upgrade the mild passenger AT tires to LT265/70R17 ATs or MTs and your Bronco will be anything but a pretender. Also consider adding the optional rear locker. You won’t regret paying the extra cost for that. If it wasn’t for the MGV seats, I would have ordered a BB instead of a BD.
Thanks for the perspective! Yes, to rear locker. Tire upgrade later on but has to handle being Daily driver.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the perspective! Yes, to rear locker. Tire upgrade later on but has to handle being Daily driver.
I geek out on tires. There are several really good tires for hitting the trails, while being a daily driver. My Bronco will be my (mostly) daily driver too.

Bickertjr

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I stopped by KOH yesterday to get a look at the new Bronco while I can still change my BaseSquatch order. Little did I know that they where giving 30 minute rides in them. Let me give you a little about me so you can put my opinions into prospective. I'm 54 years old and owned my first Jeep at age 18. In the late 1980's our family business ran a few buggies and trucks in SCORE and Baja. I own a 1967 bronco and daily a 2016 fullsized Range Rover. The Range Rover currently rides on 32" all terrain tires and is actually very good off road for anything short of rock crawling... It would do better than expected on the rocks but I don't want to have to pay to fix body damage on that! With that background here is my take and because these are preproduction units I won't pick at the fit of any parts.

Appearance
  • The 2 door proportions are perfect and it is really stunning in person. The 4 door proportion seem a little off to me. I'm sure that will piss off a bunch of you.
  • The 35" tires really make it look the part even if the 33" tires still function just fine. More on the 33" tire in the performance section.
  • The MGV looks and feels very nice. No it isn't going to make think it is the leather in the Range Rover but it's better then expected. I'm not sure the partial leather is worth the extra money. My concern is that black vinyl, sun and heat don't make for good traveling companions. Take the top off with the sun out and you will look like you wet your shorts when you exit the vehicle.
  • The dash is one big expanse of hard plastic. For the life of me I don't understand why they couldn't do something better then that. In fact this is really my only complaint with the entire truck.
Performance
  • I got a ride in a soft top 4 door badlands with the stock badlands suspension, 33" tires, 4 cylinder, manual transmission.
  • The 4 cylinder provides plenty of power. You really don't need more grunt out of it. It accelerated plenty hard and pulled very steep soft sand hills in the crawl gear while still in high range. I would understand wanting more power if you were towing but the truck only has a 3,500 pound tow rating so really what are you going to use the extra power for anyway.
  • Much like my Rover it has different "modes" but really if you know what you are doing the modes aren't all that important. As our proffessional driver said, "they are there to help the novice off-roader".
  • The disconnectable sway bar is for real. It is very impressive and is making me wonder if I don't want to switch from my BaseSquatch to Bandlands. Of course that is a lot of money for that one feature. Perhaps there will be simple manual disconnect in the aftermarket.
  • The suspension is amazing! Ford has really done their homework on this. We were going 50 mph through the bumps and it only hit the stops a few times and when it did hit it wasn't hard. When I talked to the driver about that afterwards he confirmed that the shocks have some secondary valving as they approach the limit of travel. The truck was extremely stable at high speed while still being soft enough to flex over rocks when going slow. You could hear the stability control at work independently brake wheels to help stabilize the truck. Ford definitely spent some time sorting this truck out.
  • The tailgate rattled endlessly and reminded me of my jeep in the 80's. I think it is too big of an ask to hang a large heavy wheel on the tailgate and not expect it to shake off road. I suspect many people will move to a steel rear bumper with a bumper mounted spare tire carrier.
  • The 33" tires on the 4 door look a little small but they get the job done just fine off road.
  • The hill decent control was impressive. We went down a 26 degree hill with the computer managing all the braking.
It entire truck far exceeded my expectations at every level. My only complaint is that ugly hard plastic dash. I'm more excited then ever to take delivery of my BaseSquatch.
Did anyone get to ride in a 2 door? Iv'e been thinking 4 door the whole time but don't really know why?

Sponsored

BeachShredder

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG c63s, Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the 4-door Wranglers look far better than the 2 door ones...and I'm expecting that the Broncos will be the same. Of course, that's also going to depend on the configuration you go with.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not sure what mis information you found in that short blurb of mine but saying a short wheel base is going to tow just as well as a long is for sure. As far as for driving I will take the four door Jeep ride before I do a two door. We will see how the Bronco does. Ill give in to the small segment of young people without kids and retired folks that will find the two door a bit more than a toy. And yes the two door will be quicker I guess if speed is what your after. MPG maybe better have to wait and see. You can order all parts for each, but yes 4 door you have to go through the dealer. Its not like you cant buy roof rack and headliner at all. Sales for two will be very short loved. This forum is full of enthusiasts and a higher take for two door, manual, and Sas will not last. Dont get me wrong, I love the two door and plan on getting one, I just love it for what it is and is not.
I was just saying that the tone and message of your previous post was something along the lines that the 2-door was basically a glorified UTV. If that was the case, I don't think it would sell that well. But it will be interesting to see how long it lasts in the lineup. All the better reason to get one while we can. BTW, my point about towing was that both are limited to 3,500 lbs, so I don't really see one as standing out over the other. With a higher tow weight, the 4-door probably could have an edge on driving quality during towing.

Family size of 5 aside, a lot of people buy for 1% of their need rather than 99% of their need. Like buying an F-150 because once or twice a year you need to haul a big screen TV or similar home from Costco. Much more cost-effective to pay for delivery or rent. Meaning, it can make more sense to buy what works most of the time and deal with the once-in-a-while scenario, but I digress.

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m not sure what mis information you found in that short blurb of mine but saying a short wheel base is going to tow just as well as a long is for sure.
You may be shocked to learn that the 2-door and 4-door models have the same GCWR for each engine and transmission combo, so in all cases the 2-door with its lower curb weight actually has a higher TWR than the same 4-door does (per SAE J2807). Its's super messed up, but that's the way it currently stands.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You may be shocked to learn that the 2-door and 4-door models have the same GCWR for each engine and transmission combo, so in all cases the 2-door with its lower curb weight actually has a higher TWR than the same 4-door does (per SAE J2807). Its's super messed up, but that's the way it currently stands.
I know. My point was that towing a full 3500lbs will be better with the longer wheel base than 2 door version. I have towed with both on a Jeep and I will take the 4 door towing for sure, especially with any kind of wind. I expect the Bronco to be more even but the longer wheel base helps a lot with sway.

Sponsored

bwoodahl

Threads
Reaction score
Website
woodahl.physics.iupui.edu
Vehicle(s)
GTI Fahrenheit
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the 4-door Wranglers look far better than the 2 door ones...and I'm expecting that the Broncos will be the same. Of course, that's also going to depend on the configuration you go with.
I agree with you on the Wranglers, 4 door > 2 door in the visual department. But my gut tells me otherwise on the Bronco (and I'm getting the 4 door). Out of the box, even Squatched, I don't think the 4 door will look quite right. I plan to do a 1 or 2 inch lift and put on 37s. Raising it, will diminish the lateral dimensions and hopefully get rid of the "ford flex look".

jimmy234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I can't wait to see them in person! Bummer it still seems so far away.

And to everyone wringing their hands over the 4 vs. 2-door thing because of the OP's writeup: Just relax. It's his opinion and yours is your own. Don't let some random guy on the internet determine which format appeals to you.

BeachShredder

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG c63s, Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with you on the Wranglers, 4 door > 2 door in the visual department. But my gut tells me otherwise on the Bronco (and I'm getting the 4 door). Out of the box, even Squatched, I don't think the 4 door will look quite right. I plan to do a 1 or 2 inch lift and put on 37s. Raising it, will diminish the lateral dimensions and hopefully get rid of the "ford flex look".
I'm thinking the same thing with a slight lift, but really won't know until I see it. I also think the color and model make a difference as well. Either way though, I'm going 4-door all the way.

OP
OP
67BroncoG1

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can't wait to see them in person! Bummer it still seems so far away.

And to everyone wringing their hands over the 4 vs. 2-door thing because of the OP's writeup: Just relax. It's his opinion and yours is your own. Don't let some random guy on the internet determine which format appeals to you.
I figured that I would reply since I'm the "random guy on the internet". Perhaps it will come as a surprise but I completely agree with you. The 4 vs 2 door thing is a very personal decision and often driven more by what fits that individuals needs. What looks best is purely personal and not tied to what you actually need.

My family is all grown up and on their own. I don't need a 4 door off road toy and can simply get what I like best.
Sponsored