Sponsored

My main concern when (if?) They offer the manual...

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
When I was truck shopping 2 years ago, I was looking at the Ram 3/4 tons for the sole reason that they offered a stick shift. Looking at the dealership websites, I only found 2 manuals on the lots in the entire state of AZ. Neither was close to a configuration I wanted. I settled on an automatic because I found a "used" one with only 3,000 miles for about 15k under a normal new price and it was everything I was looking for in a work/family truck. Still, wish I could have found my exact truck but with a third pedal.

Last night I was bored and decided to look at the Wranglers and Gladiators to see what's out there. Very similar situation. I found only 1 gladiator stick shift out of around 150 and about 5 Wrangler stick shifts out of hundreds while looking at a few of the biggest dealers in Phoenix. They were all Rubicons approaching $60k.
I keep hearing the same story from auto manufacturers.... "We are killing the manual because they don't sell." My experience is I want a manual but can't find them in a configuration I want so I settled for an auto. Are the few manual versions they make simply selling quickly or are they only making a fraction of a percent of them into a stick? With the Jeeps and Rams, well over 99% of the ones on lots are autos.

Back to the point of this thread. Am I even going to be able to find a stick shift bronco sitting on a lot? I'm sure I can order one custom, but I'd sure like to test drive one first, feel how it shifts before I spend that kind of money...
Sponsored

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I was truck shopping 2 years ago, I was looking at the Ram 3/4 tons for the sole reason that they offered a stick shift. Looking at the dealership websites, I only found 2 manuals on the lots in the entire state of AZ. Neither was close to a configuration I wanted. I settled on an automatic because I found a "used" one with only 3,000 miles for about 15k under a normal new price and it was everything I was looking for in a work/family truck. Still, wish I could have found my exact truck but with a third pedal.

Last night I was bored and decided to look at the Wranglers and Gladiators to see what's out there. Very similar situation. I found only 1 gladiator stick shift out of around 150 and about 5 Wrangler stick shifts out of hundreds while looking at a few of the biggest dealers in Phoenix. They were all Rubicons approaching $60k.
I keep hearing the same story from auto manufacturers.... "We are killing the manual because they don't sell." My experience is I want a manual but can't find them in a configuration I want so I settled for an auto. Are the few manual versions they make simply selling quickly or are they only making a fraction of a percent of them into a stick? With the Jeeps and Rams, well over 99% of the ones on lots are autos.

Back to the point of this thread. Am I even going to be able to find a stick shift bronco sitting on a lot? I'm sure I can order one custom, but I'd sure like to test drive one first, feel how it shifts before I spend that kind of money...
Am I even going to be able to find a stick shift bronco sitting on a lot?

Probably not close, but maybe near enough for a day trip.

AmericanFreedom

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think Bronco will run more like Mustang than pickup in terms of manuals ā€” would reckon that there'd be at least a few within a 50 mile radius to test drive

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
i am worried the manual wont be offered in the raptor version, with the big motor. built a turbo diesel wrangler on the jeep site and like i figured the diesel isnt available with the manual

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i am worried the manual wont be offered in the raptor version, with the big motor. built a turbo diesel wrangler on the jeep site and like i figured the diesel isnt available with the manual
Most likely the manual will not be available in the raptor version - only with the 2.3. Although I would like to have the manual with the 2.7 and even more with the 3.5. And I am hoping that the manual will be available in more than just the base model. We should know soon.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

I donā€™t think the take rate on the bronco manual will be any higher than the gladiator or wrangler. Meaning that youā€™ll probably see a similar situation. Only 10 or so models within a 50 mile radius. Thatā€™s the case for me. If you really want a manual bronco odds are youā€™re gonna have to place a special order at the dealership once youā€™re allowed to do so. Otherwise youā€™ll probably be stuck with a base model.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I donā€™t think the take rate on the bronco manual will be any higher than the gladiator or wrangler. Meaning that youā€™ll probably see a similar situation. Only 10 or so models within a 50 mile radius. Thatā€™s the case for me. If you really want a manual bronco odds are youā€™re gonna have to place a special order at the dealership once youā€™re allowed to do so. Otherwise youā€™ll probably be stuck with a base model.
I agree. It is hard to find a vehicle with everything you want and options you donā€™t (moonroof) on a lot.

OP
OP
Jook13

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
I guess my point is the take rate would be higher if people could find the dang things. It really annoys me when I hear that the manual version of a car was cancelled because it didn't sell. It doesn't sell because it's not even sitting on the lot. Hopefully Ford makes more than 1%, I would think all that work to include the option shouldn't go to waste.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I will probably have to fly to Oahu to test drive one, but there is no need really because I always promise myself I will never buy another auto. I usually cave in but I normally dont pay 40,000 for a car either. Ive had 9 manuals and only 1 has had problems(i regularly drove it through 3 freet of water and rarely drained the milkshake). Ive had 11 autos and replaced 3 and dealt with leaks and internal breakage on 4 more. I will own this Bronco for a lifetime and I will break an automatic. In a manual I may bur through a few clutches, break a shifter, and maybe itll be hard to get into a gear in 20 to 25 years. But it wont be broken. I even want a manual when we get to electric motors. That mustang they built last year everything I heard said it was awesome shifting on electric cause they were always in the powerband.

cofferson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For what it's worth, I can easily find base 2 door sport wranglers with the manual trans for ~27,000 new around me. BUT, they are getting a bit more scarce probably since they had a recall on all manual transmissions for the pressure plates over heating, fragmenting, cracking the case, and burning the whole vehicle to the ground. They currently have no fix especially since this started at the beginning of the pandemic. So I imagine they aren't really trying to ship any new ones right now..

Sponsored

Dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

You really dont want a Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator Rubicon or Mojave with the manual transmissions. It has durability issues etc offroad

Dave

OP
OP
Jook13

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
You really dont want a Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator Rubicon or Mojave with the manual transmissions. It has durability issues etc offroad

Dave
It was more out of curiosity than anything. If I was to buy a Jeep, it would be from the 80s. Seeing how hard the manual is to find just has me a bit concerned about finding a manual bronco is all.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Jeep NSG370 is only rated for 272 Ft-Lbs torque. The 3.0 Eco-Diesel puts out 442 Ft_Lbs, so no. I was looking at Hemi or LS conversions for my 3.8 and I'd need to swap to an auto for the same reason.

The Getrag MTI550 is rated for 442 Ft-Lbs. The 2.7TT puts out 400 Ft-Lbs.

Hopefully we'll be good to go,

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

For what it's worth, I can easily find base 2 door sport wranglers with the manual trans for ~27,000 new around me. BUT, they are getting a bit more scarce probably since they had a recall on all manual transmissions for the pressure plates over heating, fragmenting, cracking the case, and burning the whole vehicle to the ground. They currently have no fix especially since this started at the beginning of the pandemic. So I imagine they aren't really trying to ship any new ones right now..
Any idea why this is suddenly a problem on the JL/JT's? Did they change something from the JK's?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Keep in mind that Chrispy said the manual will likely be an option that costs money.

My guess is they have some seriously cool tricks up their sleeve. (Will definitely be available on both regular trim engines. Raptor trim, if it is indeed 400+ ft lbs will probably not though)
Sponsored