First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
21 years ago, that Lexus cost $10,000 more than my Badlands will today. Given that SUV starts at $87K today and easily crests $100,000, I think it's safe to say the Bronco is not competing with it. I do not take issue with it having more features than the Bronco. If it didn't one would wonder what you're paying for.

In other words, if I was spending $40K more for my Bronco, yes, I'd expect a helluva lot more.
If I was spending $40,000 more, I would want the latest and greatest technology. I'm referring to technology that's over 20 years old -- the patent on those shocks isn't even valid anymore. The technology isn't on this Bronco at this price point because Ford didn't want to put it on there, not because it would add anything to the cost.

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had death wobble on my F350 4x2 with IFS front, known issues. It took forever to get it out as it ended up being slop in the steeing arm knuckle doesnt take much on the IFS design PITA.
As someone who works on superduty steering, I feel obligated to point out that the 4x2 is a twin I-beam, not SLA (short-long arm).The Bronco has SLA-IFS, and its not prone to any wobble. I actually love TIB generally, but if you take a peek under a 4x2 Superduty you can see very plainly that the hardpoints on the tie rods do not overlap, while the control arms do. Idk who was responsible for this, maybe they failed vehicle dynamics? Even my 87 F-250 makes an attempt at correct steering hardpoints. I digress, the 2000's + 4x2 Superduties have dirtier geometry than an SFA set up and it breaks my TIB loving heart.

The Memedalorian

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Chevys
Your Bronco Model
Base
True some people are buying for the appearance/image, but not as much the functional realities. And that could be a problem for some buyers.
MY EARS ARE BURNING!

You're exactly right that most won't take this thing off road, but they desperately want to look like those of us who do, so not so sure they'll openly complain, but instead eat it, then sell the Bronco as soon as they can unless the rugged trend continues for longer than anticipated.
I got a Mustang because I wanted a Mustang but yet I haven't put it on a race track or gone out and crashed it into a sidewalk full of pedestrians.

So I'll be getting a Bronco because I want a Bronco. The idea of a stick shift 4WD/AWD truck with a removable top is appealing to me whether I take it off the pavement to have fun or just drive it to work and the grocery store.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not wrong to want this feature. Comparable..no. But my Type R from comfort/sport/race mode adjust steering, throttle response and suspension.

If you want this feature you could get adjustable shocks (King's for instance) where you adjust 1-5?; but then again you have to get out and do this with a turn of a switch on all shocks.

However, it looks like if you get the "Lux" package it has "evasive steering assist"... So when you swerve/make hard turns the shocks stiffen to avoid a rollover situation. So i think it has what you are looking for with the upgrade. ??
What you're referring to in evasive steering assist is done through application of braking at the wheels individually through power distribution. Basically using physics to apply brakes and use the weight and movement of the vehicle to increase pressure in shocks on one side of the vehicle versus the other side.

I have owned several BMWs with adaptive suspension including the two in the driveway now and these are not air bags in the suspension, but computers control pressure build up through electronic hook up. This is complicated, expensive, tuned for sport or performance driving, and not something I want when 30 miles from the nearest paved highway.

The Bronco does not have this type of adaptive suspension and it is an option on BMWs, not standard.

DLJohnson

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the reviews have me a bit concerned too, but I've never sat in a car where the stereo sounded great 'out of the box' without tweaking the equalizer and all that. And I sure hope it sounds better than stock, but am pretty sure it will.
I remember B&O only from when they made scifi looking stereos with vertical CD players that you mounted on the wall and some other really flat and black glass ones for table top, fancy design with good sound, but nothing spectacular. We had a B&O store in town many years ago, always fun to check out, but I stuck with my self built speakers.

I think upgrading has become much harder in modern cars, where the stereo is just part of the control box behind the dash and tied into all the other computer things happening there, it's not like the old days where you just pulled the stock radio and stuck something new in and added an amp or two under the seats plus a sub.

I'm getting the LUX mainly for the stereo, but I also want the other dodads it comes with, so I'd have ordered it anyway. I don't expect concert hall levels of sound nor do I plan to listen to classical music and trying to hear the nuances between different orchestras in an open top off road vehicle. I just hope it has some oomph and works well with some good R&R.
I had a B&O stereo in my Audi and really liked it for the most part. There wasn't much bass but on some types of music it sounded incredible and others it was just... lacking I guess.

When I eventually get one I'll be going LUX for a lot of different reasons but I can't wrap my head around why the garage door opener is only available on LUX... that seems ludicrous.

Ford Bronco My Moab Bronco ride review and detailed 33" vs 35" tires ride comparison 1617734324308

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm wondering the same as I was getting lux partly for the upgraded sound system but this is the 2nd time I have heard that it is kind of underwhelming. Might be worth just getting high package and upgrading the sound system later.
I'm getting the High Package and eventually going to upgrade all the speakers and add an amplifier/possibly an EQ. That should make it sound decent enough.

BDSQACH

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger... Civic Type R
Your Bronco Model
Base
All Bronco shocks are mechanical, the Lux does not change this.

Ford Bronco My Moab Bronco ride review and detailed 33" vs 35" tires ride comparison 1617734324308
Ok... I've been curious on how it accomplishes this feature...? (Safety feature not full time adjustment)
For the record I don't care about the Bronco having adjustable shocks. I could have gotten them in my truck... I didn't and 🤷

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was at KOH and I wrote a detailed review on the forum and the feedback from you guys was overwhelming. If you haven't, you can read my full KOH ride report here:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ack-report-and-new-information-gleaned.12330/

Now I went to Moab last weekend and I did ride in a 33" Badlands 4 door which is great because I can directly compare it to my ride at KOH which was on a First Edition with Sasquatch.

Of course my general impressions and comments of the Bronco from KOH still stand true so I will not re-write everything here. Just adding new comments and comparison.
I will post all the pictures (taken with a pro camera) and some videos from the ride on my IG: http://instagram.com/broncoexplorers

So here we go with my comments in no particular order:

- 33" Again gave me a good impression in term of look. We were 3 friends this time (one of them also rode at KOH with me) and we all agreed that 33" looked great on a 4D Bronco. 35" did look a bit better side by side, and all 3 of us would be very happy with either options (again just from the look).
- Now the most important part. My comparison between riding 33 and 35in tires: more difference than I thought. Both my friend and I agreed that we flew over rocks and obstacles smoother with the 35" at KOH. It was obvious. Especially in the sand dunes (that had very similar depth and pattern at both event). However I'll say this: the 3rd person that was with us and that was not at KOH was absolutely blown away by the ride. So first, yes you can see the difference driving side by side but if you buy a 33 you will never feel like you don't fly over rough stuff well, secondly the capabilities are very similar. In the end we did the course at the same speed as the 35s in front of us. It was just 5-10% rougher.
Note: driver rode both multiple times. He feels the same way as us. Also he recommends 33" for most people and said it's even an advantage in some situation due to the width and the Bronco being already quite wide. He said 35" feels worst on the highway too. (keep in mind he only tried the Broncos with 30PSI in the tires)
- The MGV felt great. For us, the interior of the BL was much better looking than the blue first edition dashboard but this is personal preference.
- Upgraded 33" tires (same as Sasquatch tires) felt great with minimal noise on the highway
- Driver floored the 2.7 on the paved road and it's more power than I'll ever need. 2.3 should be great too.
- Don't stress too much about color choice. Each time I see a new Bronco color I love it. It's not because the color is great or better, it's just that the Bronco looks great, with most colors. You will probably love what you chose.

A few negatives:

- We could try the upgraded sound system from the lux package. We were not impressed. Just don't set your expectations too high and you will be fine. Bass was strong but not rich. Trebles and mid sounded worst than our respective cars.
- At 75mph on the highway, the wind noise from the closed soft top was bad, worst than on a Jeep JL. The driver said it was because it's pre-production. Unfortunately, we did not drive the first edition (with hardtop and sound deadening) on the highway at KOH to compare but I did not notice any noise at 60mph on the dirt.
- The body roll on the road was severe. I am wondering if the badlands has softer suspensions (because it's more rock crawling oriented). I asked the driver and he said it's about the same as Sasquatch but Sasquatch feels even worst (in body roll) because of the tire width and low pressure.
For me it's not a problem as I guess it's a compromise you need to make if you want great off road performance but I thought it could bother some people.

Overall an amazing vehicle and I am super excited to receive my Badlands. Hopefully it gets here sooner than later!

Here is one teaser pic :)

How is the comfort of the MGV? Soft/comfortable as or similar to cloth or more firm like leather?

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

BDSQACH

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger... Civic Type R
Your Bronco Model
Base
What you're referring to in evasive steering assist is done through application of braking at the wheels individually through power distribution. Basically using physics to apply brakes and use the weight and movement of the vehicle to increase pressure in shocks on one side of the vehicle versus the other side.

I have owned several BMWs with adaptive suspension including the two in the driveway now and these are not air bags in the suspension, but computers control pressure build up through electronic hook up. This is complicated, expensive, tuned for sport or performance driving, and not something I want when 30 miles from the nearest paved highway.

The Bronco does not have this type of adaptive suspension and it is an option on BMWs, not standard.
Ok cool, that's actually well described info. Thank you. đź‘Ť

I think for my correct car it's magnetic and computers... So magic

mylittlepony

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler / 09 TC Series 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's difficult to know for certain, but according to this article from several years back (see link further below), a majority of Wrangler owners do at least some off-roading in their vehicles.

Per the article, a Jeep dev manager stated they found 85% of Wrangler owners reported going off-road. And when only taking into account the 2-door Wrangler, that percentage jumped to 93%.

Personally, I have a hard time believing the percentages are that high. Although when living in Colorado, nearly everyone I knew with Wranglers or other such 4x4s, did at least some off-roading, even if mild. On the other hand, in my current Chicago location, no way. So it's a regional thing.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/business/cars/20130714_Jeep_Wrangler_is_an_off-road_classic.html
i bought mine for two primary reasons until i'm able transition.
1. snow> love my wrangler for this reason b/c snow gets problematic in a cramped old city w/ pot/sink holes.
2. protection> this city breeds bad drivers b/c you can tell new drivers when they bring their 'cultural' driving habits> [many drvrs don't use directionals]. Bronco is a tank and you must feel capable and protected[the body shops do great here].

not too distant future: moving to FL will have me transitioning to topless bliss w/ free vitamin D.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MY EARS ARE BURNING!

I got a Mustang because I wanted a Mustang. I haven't put it on a track or crashed it into a sidewalk full of pedestrians.

So I'll be getting a Bronco because I want a Bronco. The idea of a stick shift 4WD/AWD truck with a removable top is appealing to me whether I take it off the pavement to have fun or just drive it to work and the grocery store.
All good. But a Mustang is not a track car, unless you give the argument for a Shelby. However, a Bronco is an off road vehicle. You may elect to not take it to dirt, but that wasn't the point.

The point we were discussing was the look and looking rugged is a thing and a style. Those of us who will build more of an off road rig and cake on dirt, mud, and scratches will look cool to the crowd who don't do these things and romanticize it.

Sort of like how the guys in the Scions look up to Mustang GT owners and want to drive sporty or how those who own Ferrari are dreaming of Formula 1.

I'm constantly chasing the coolness of my dad and other old rugged guys who drove the original, old Landys, Wagoneers, Land Cruisers, etc, with a cigarette hanging, flannel rolled sleeves, jeans, boots and scruffy beards. Yet, I'm an economist in an investment bank.

I'm also Southern, and do outdoors stuff when I'm not in overpriced Italian suits from Saks. We're all chasing something my friend.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I was spending $40,000 more, I would want the latest and greatest technology. I'm referring to technology that's over 20 years old -- the patent on those shocks isn't even valid anymore. The technology isn't on this Bronco at this price point because Ford didn't want to put it on there, not because it would add anything to the cost.
I get what you are saying, but $60K is still double what a Bronco starts at and that was the 20 years-ago price. It takes at least $40K today to buy the same exact vehicle that $30K would have gotten 20 years ago. So the LX had the ability to spend a lot more money in features than the Bronco does.

Without knowing either suspension setup first hand, I can safely bet that the Bronco setup is better for its intended purpose than that 20-year-old Lexus suspension is. Given more money, it could be better, yes. But there's a cost-benefit consideration. And probably whatever made that LX so nice on-road is what made it limited to fire roads (and not rock climbing) for off-road.
Sponsored