Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I can't remember. It all happened so fast. I was thinking that it might be the "Baby Bronco", and then I started adding 2 + 2.
Additional questions might jog my memory about some things, like, I just remembered, I paced off the length of the 4-door shell by putting one foot in front of the other because I've had good success with that in the past, and the overall total length of the vehicle was 16'.
This was the raw metal shell, and I have no idea how much longer it might measure once it has the actually bumpers - and spare tire - on it.
16'.
It was definitely the 2021 Ford Bronco.
Interesting. 16' would put it slightly longer than the overall length of a 4 door JL wrangler...and that's before the bronco had bumpers added on. I'm not sure how that jives with the wheelbase guesses we've been throwing around and how short the overhangs supposedly are.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Sunny Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mobiles
One thing that stands out is that the pillars were even present at all ... did it have a metal roof (or any kind of roof)? A roll cage?

This would seem to defy the speculation of frameless windows. Frameless and topless don't go together well unless the ROPS is very bulky.
It bothers me that I didn't look for a roll cage. It all happened so fast. It does have chunky, wider at the bottom, B- and C-pillars. The C-pillar was wider at the bottom than the B-pillar.
I think there will be some kind of roll cage on top that has side extensions that slide down thru the pillars and extend into the side sheet metal. The pillars will act as a guide for the roll cage side extensions to extend down further than one might imagine.

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can't remember. It all happened so fast. I was thinking that it might be the "Baby Bronco", and then I started adding 2 + 2.
Additional questions might jog my memory about some things, like, I just remembered, I paced off the length of the 4-door shell by putting one foot in front of the other because I've had good success with that in the past, and the overall total length of the vehicle was 16'.
This was the raw metal shell, and I have no idea how much longer it might measure once it has the actually bumpers - and spare tire - on it.
16'.
16” is what I like to hear. The 2011 short wheel base Expedition I love so much is 17ft, I like the space! That also puts it on par with the Wrangler 4door being 15 1/2 ft.

OP
OP

Sunny Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mobiles
One thing that stands out is that the pillars were even present at all ... did it have a metal roof (or any kind of roof)? A roll cage?

This would seem to defy the speculation of frameless windows. Frameless and topless don't go together well unless the ROPS is very bulky.
This is gonna sound crazy, but I can't remember if it had a metal roof. I was trippin'.
I do remember tucking my head into the passenger side window to get a feel for the interior space. Honestly, I can't remember if it had a roof or roll bar cage of some kind. I had to duck my head under something. LOL!

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
16” is what I like to hear. The 2011 short wheel base Expedition I love so much is 17ft, I like the space! That also puts it on par with the Wrangler 4door being 15 1/2 ft.
I was thinking the prototype looked a bit pudgy, but was willing to give them time to trim layers of padding off. This description of being almost as big as an F150 is a bit discouraging for me, maneuverability on and off road is important.

I'm sure Midnight Blue will be happy though. :muscle:

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

16'.
I'm with 'ya there, the blood starts pumping and things happen fast. any info is great. ! :like:

OP
OP

Sunny Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mobiles
Wow great! Which of the renders on this site are you closely comparing it to here? Which one looks the closest?
I'm brand new to this site. Let me take a look at some of the renders. I'll say one thing, the 4-door metal shell left me with the impression of a long, low-roofed "desert runner" -type vehicle.
And the hood is definitely long, wide, and flat, with unmistakeable PRONOUNCED side flares that are VERY reminiscent of the 1960s Bronco.

Now, the 2-door version looks more 2-door Wrangler-esque.
The 4-door version that I saw left the impression that it was longer, wider, and slightly shorter in overall height in relation to its total mass when compared to the 4-door Wrangler. In other words, I was left with the impression that the new 2021 Bronco will be slightly larger overall than the Wrangler, but definitely NOT a high roof vehicle from an aesthetic standpoint.

OP
OP

Sunny Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mobiles
It was 16' with no add-ons, no front or rear fascia or spare tire.
I has my work boots on, and it was 16' right on the button.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Sunny Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mobiles
Could be because the roof wasn't on it?
Honestly, it might not have had a roof. It might have had a roll bar or roof frame of some kind. I had to duck underneath something to stick my head inside the passenger window to get a feel for the interior roominess.
Some kind of frame was connecting the pillars on one side to the pillars on the other side of the vehicle. I don't remember a completely open-air roof situation. It must have had at least a roll bar or modest roof frame.

This was a raw metal shell where the doors were just kind of hanging slightly open in space.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For any Ford spies reading this, it is pretty clear we now know exactly what it looks like so you might as well release a picture of it in all available colors and trims...

Pretty Please

No need to I can picture it in my mind.

OP
OP

Sunny Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mobiles
For quick reference while you try to picture the descriptions ...
Ahh, in addition to my latest posts/replies (check the time-stamps), I do remember something else:
The tail light housings were large and chunky.

Now, this was just the metal shell, so no tail lights installed or anything, but the housing area was approximately the same size and shape as the 7" tablet that I'm holding in my hand. Maybe even a little bigger.
That puts the shape and size of the housing at 5" wide and 8" tall.
It could be 6" wide and 9" tall.
The tail light housings were impressively chunky.
Jan27 2021_Bronco_OffRoad_009.jpg

OP
OP

Sunny Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mobiles
Luckily you were able to heel to toe that thing 16 steps. Myself, by force of habit turn at the 9 steps mark and take 9 steps back the opposite way.
I didn't get the width.
That would have been easy enough to do.
My mind was racing and we were talking shop about the vehicle...
Sponsored