Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Subaru Crosstrek, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Who will be the first vendor to figure out how to sell us two cross bars and a platform for the 4-door MIC roof? There are obviously 4 connector points (front and back pairs) shown in every photo, but the standard Ford racks only mount to the front pair. (Do you think the load capacity will be less without the windshield frame helping to support the load?)

Ford Bronco My Only Question: Roof Rack Option 1615836507870
Sponsored

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do you think the load capacity will be less without the windshield frame helping to support the load?
I would guess, yes. Simple physics...you are putting all of the weight on the rear clamshell, instead of distributing it.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Enough people are clamoring for this option that I'm assuming we'll see something eventually from the aftermarket.

There are two things that one should consider though:

1. There are options for this for the keep, but they just aren't that popular. People go full cage for the most part if they want a platform rack.. or they get the gutter clamp style roof racks for lower load requirements (skis mostly). I believe the ones that are just over the clamshell of the jeep require driving and mounting the rack through the hardtop for enough rigidity.

2. The attachment points on the rear clamshell are for a clamp, vs the mounting points on the front windshield are actual bolts to the frame. I suspect the reason why we don't see the rear-only platform from ford is that they clamps don't provide enough strength to overcome the forces encountered during driving. Likely the front windshield mounting bolts are required (as of this point).

This clamps to the drip rail and then bolts to the rear glass hinge attachment points.
Ford Bronco My Only Question: Roof Rack Option Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 16.03.10

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am in the same boat and will keep an eye on this thread and every discussion about it. (after spending way too many hours digging through old posts).

For now I will deal with the Ford rails/bars and change down the line if something comes out. It's inevitable for our first jaunt from NY to CO with a kid and a dog we will need some roof storage and I think it will take some time for aftermarket to get it right.

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So long as I can mount my SUP, I am cool. Bikes can go on the hitch rack.