timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
So i'm either going CG or Area51 with the new one unless a good green comes out in my22
Yeah, maybe wait and see what green comes out. Might be cool to have old in original green and new in new green. But if that's the original paint job (and not just the original color), I say keep it as original patina.

Advertisement

Halfsmoke00

Big Bend
First Name
Kenny
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Ford Escape AWD V6, '91 Plymouth Acclaim V6
Clubs

Yeah, maybe wait and see what green comes out. Might be cool to have old in original green and new in new green. But if that's the original paint job (and not just the original color), I say keep it as original patina.
☝ This. Keep the 72 original.

Bickertjr

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f-350
I have some small dents i want fixed and some body seams need some work so i think i have to repaint it but will see what a body shop says. It goes in to get all new fuel tanks and everything related to get it back running. Has 10,000 on the motor but has sat 20 years inside. Lol

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I have some small dents i want fixed and some body seams need some work so i think i have to repaint it but will see what a body shop says. It goes in to get all new fuel tanks and everything related to get it back running. Has 10,000 on the motor but has sat 20 years inside. Lol
You would be surprised, but those dents and scratches are desirable (assuming we're talking dings and not mangled body). It's the character that says it's been used and enjoyed. Again, if it's all real and original, that's great. If it's been resprayed, Bondo®'d and re-worked, then you're OK to make it better. It's like an antique--the less you do to restore it, the better, even if it's flawed. But if it's already been to the plastic surgeon ;) , you've got the green light.

Bickertjr

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f-350
20201231_133646.jpg

You would be surprised, but those dents and scratches are desirable (assuming we're talking dings and not mangled body). It's the character that says it's been used and enjoyed. Again, if it's all real and original, that's great. If it's been resprayed, Bondo®'d and re-worked, then you're OK to make it better. It's like an antique--the less you do to restore it, the better, even if it's flawed. But if it's already been to the plastic surgeon ;) , you've got the green light.
No
No bondo but my dad had somone weld the rear seam that was failing from the spare tire carrier and its pretty ugly

Bickertjr

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f-350
20201231_133646.jpg

No

No bondo but my dad had somone weld the rear seam that was failing from the spare tire carrier and its pretty ugly
I also pretty much ripped the drivers window surround off sliding backwards next to a tree which caught it with the top off when i was 17. Lol its half ass welded by a shop teacher. 🤣

Bickertjr

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f-350
20201231_133646.jpg

No
IMHO - Don’t you dare change the color of your 72
I actually love the color plus it was ordered by my dad. Only took 6 weeks and cost $4200 otd in 72

Bickertjr

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f-350
20201231_133646.jpg

No
I actually love the color plus it was ordered by my dad. Only took 6 weeks and cost $4200 otd in 72
20201231_133646.jpg

No

He tweaked it 70's style for the rubicon, i got to go myself on its 6th trip through at 15.

Bickertjr

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f-350
20201231_133646.jpg

No
20201231_133646.jpg

No

He tweaked it 70's style for the rubicon, i got to go myself on its 6th trip through at 15.
20201231_133646.jpg

No

Notice there's no body under the door. Just a piece of channel iron bolted to the frame for rock sliders

Halfsmoke00

Big Bend
First Name
Kenny
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Ford Escape AWD V6, '91 Plymouth Acclaim V6
Clubs

20201231_133646.jpg

No

Notice there's no body under the door. Just a piece of channel iron bolted to the frame for rock sliders
Don't repaint or "fix" any of that, you'll just be erasing all those memories. Just do the mechanical repairs and it'll be more than awesome as it is.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
Don't repaint or "fix" any of that, you'll just be erasing all those memories. Just do the mechanical repairs and it'll be more than awesome as it is.
Yep. That thing just needs to run. It's beautiful just the way she is.

North7

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Clubs

Bickertjr, I highly recommend you go to a "Paintless Dent Repair" shop for an estimate before you go to a regular body shop for their estimate. They can do amazing work, removing the dents from the inside out without the use of Bondo or painting. Here in Texas it is a huge business with all the hail damage we get to cars every year. If you end up needing a mixed repair, where you have the weld seam repaired, at least you can minimize the touch up painting. The more you can keep it original the better for resale value if you decide to sell it someday.

Here are a couple of examples:
7703435d-df80-472f-8763-df9677073eb3_l.jpg

Advertisement

Advertisement