Sponsored

My SAS Badlands on the trail today, main takeaway: These tires suck!

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are actually pretty great tires off-road., but they are not a mud tire. They are an AT.
That's correct! On this tires MT doesn't stand for Mud Terrain, It stand for Maximum Traction.
Yep, not a Mud Terrain tire...marketed as Max Traction.
Last effort to clear this up. Good Year stopped calling all mud tires, well... mud tires, about 2 years ago. The started calling all AT and MT tires they make "All terrain". They are the exact (down to the MT printed on them) same tires the previous year that they called "Mud tires", the Territory tires are the same, they are hybrid mud tires (losing some off road capability for some gain in on road uses, pretty much a one size fits nobody compromise). Bullitt is exactly right, it is a marketing change only. If you want to talk about them in comparison to other manufacturers, you must continue to go off the AT or MT stampings to be talking the same language. Ford spec'd the tires and they call them mud tires. Customer is always right, right?

"Maximum Traction" is advertising huffing. These are lightweight hybrid muds (so they are better on the street than regular muds, but not as good as actual AT tires with the hybrid part meaning they are not as good in the mud as real mud tires.) They are the all-season tires of off-road rubber that aim for the middle and are not as robust as a dedicated tire per the anecdotal evidence on punctures.
Sponsored

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You look to be high centered. Nothing against the tires. The frictiction from everything dragging underneight is what's stopping you.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t have the Good Years, but I wheeled with an identical BL with them in some pretty slick and pasty clay , including a tank trap that I bowed than out of with my 33” KO2s. It was a beast considering they aren’t a true MT. I think it was easier to “clean” the tires in that scenario than where you were. They also did really well on the rocks at TX Off Roadeo. Moral of the story, it probably depends on the terrain, but for many they will be a nice balance. For others they will be irritating rock chuckers that don’t work for their application. Good to see/hear how they work in different scenarios, thanks for sharing!

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You plan on taking that off road? If so then you better get the Ford Performance HD steering rack and tie rods

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Watch the TFL video today with the same tire on an extreme Colorado trail...no problem at all and only down to 25psi. I believe they're a little better on the rocks/gravel than mud/leaves.
As are all good rock crawling tires. Rock crawler tires have more tread (closer together) for better grip. The downfall is the mud can't clear because of the tread being so close together.

Sponsored

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Would’ve loved to have seen KO2’s as an option. Love them on my Jeep.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also the build and price lists the tires in the SAS package as Mud-Terrain tires....
Ford Bronco My SAS Badlands on the trail today, main takeaway:  These tires suck! 1638795892719

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't really hit anything on the belly until the top ledge and I wasn't high centered, it was actually the driver's side lower control arm mount that was scraping. The tires were 90% of the issue with that trail, maybe 10% was getting a little bit hung up on the rocks at the top. This wasn't the only trail I ran, the tires were an issue all day, even when I didn't scrape on the rocks.

I don't have a problem "bashing in the skid plates", that's why they are there. Did you see the videos of Ford testing on the Rubicon trail? WAY WAY worse dragging. I kinda feel sorry for you if you're never going to try a difficult trail because you're scared to scratch a skid plate...

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't really hit anything on the belly until the top ledge and I wasn't high centered, it was actually the driver's side lower control arm mount that was scraping. The tires were 90% of the issue with that trail, maybe 10% was getting a little bit hung up on the rocks at the top. This wasn't the only trail I ran, the tires were an issue all day, even when I didn't scrape on the rocks.

I don't have a problem "bashing in the skid plates", that's why they are there. Did you see the videos of Ford testing on the Rubicon trail? WAY WAY worse dragging. I kinda feel sorry for you if you're never going to try a difficult trail because you're scared to scratch a skid plate...
I've been meaning to check out KS Rocks since that's one of the 2 places close to me that has some trails. What did you think? Have you been to SMORR? I've got about the exact same build as you, but going to take it a bit easy on mine since it's also my daily driver.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been meaning to check out KS Rocks since that's one of the 2 places close to me that has some trails. What did you think? Have you been to SMORR? I've got about the exact same build as you, but going to take it a bit easy on mine since it's also my daily driver.
I haven't been to SMORR yet, I think I'll jump on one of the next MWK group events that go out there.

I've been going to KSRocks since it opened. Hit me up sometime and I'll go out there with you, I live about 20 minutes from it. There are plenty of easier trails where you don't have to worry about damage. My Bronco is my daily driver as well. I don't get too crazy, there was no danger of real damage on that trail. Trust me when I say, I don't want body damage or to break anything major...

Sponsored

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Y'all let me know when you figure out a proper off road tire that isn't loud as all hell.
I've done the dunes, mud, hill climbs and some light rocks with the sas tires - I thought they were fine given how silent they are on the road.

My real complaint is the rock throwing

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Y'all let me know when you figure out a proper off road tire that isn't loud as all hell.
I've done the dunes, mud, hill climbs and some light rocks with the sas tires - I thought they were fine given how silent they are on the road.

My real complaint is the rock throwing
right there with you
Sponsored