Sponsored

My SAS Badlands on the trail today, main takeaway: These tires suck!

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you put a lift on it or new front suspension? The Town and Country Bronco with the 4wheel parts had rubbing when off road in Colorado
Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Goodyear's really are meant to just look tough at the starbucks..... What tire are you considering when you upgrade? How did the limo get around K Rocks? I'd imagine some of the trails get a little snug on a very full size. Any plans to take it to maybe Disney? I'm trying to hit Disney after Christmas. no in the Bronco of course as I'm still many months away.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Moab affords a level of traction that is not common in other areas, given not all rocks are essentially sand paper covered.

Kansas trails consist of a lot of loose flakey limestone with soil and protruding shelfs. It is not predictable or is a matter of picking the right line in a lot of cases. You pick the best line possible and hope the rocks don't slide away or that you dig into the soil too much. Totally different type of wheeling...

ABar

Wildtrak
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Y'all let me know when you figure out a proper off road tire that isn't loud as all hell.
I've done the dunes, mud, hill climbs and some light rocks with the sas tires - I thought they were fine given how silent they are on the road.

My real complaint is the rock throwing
I've been happy with Cooper Discoverer STT Pros' on my Wrangler. They still throw things here and there, but its expected and not too bad. Mostly water/mud with the occasional ting from a rock. The Falken Wildpeak M/T's that came on my Gladiator are nice too, but Im putting the STT's on that one too (lift and wheels, ditching stock size). I think whenever I get my Bronco, I'll run the Falken's in a 35 once the stock ones are done. I would say both are on the same as far as the noise level. As the STT's wear, they do get louder, as do most M/Ts. Some just aren't as loud from the get go. A co-worker has Nitto's on his Raptor, and he complained about those from day one about being loud. But this is all on the driver as to what's loud.

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Territory MT = Territory Middling Traction

Sponsored

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm thinking about using Ridge Grapplers when I get my Bronco. I've had good luck with them on my F150 and they're not too loud.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking about using Ridge Grapplers when I get my Bronco. I've had good luck with them on my F150 and they're not too loud.
I have my Bronco and considering the Ridge Grapplers too. I haven't been off-road yet but plan to soon. I also loved the KO2s that I had on my 2019 Raptor. I'm just waiting to see how the GY tires do on a couple of trails here in Virginia before considering others.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last effort to clear this up. Good Year stopped calling all mud tires, well... mud tires, about 2 years ago. The started calling all AT and MT tires they make "All terrain". They are the exact (down to the MT printed on them) same tires the previous year that they called "Mud tires", the Territory tires are the same, they are hybrid mud tires (losing some off road capability for some gain in on road uses, pretty much a one size fits nobody compromise). Bullitt is exactly right, it is a marketing change only. If you want to talk about them in comparison to other manufacturers, you must continue to go off the AT or MT stampings to be talking the same language. Ford spec'd the tires and they call them mud tires. Customer is always right, right?

"Maximum Traction" is advertising huffing. These are lightweight hybrid muds (so they are better on the street than regular muds, but not as good as actual AT tires with the hybrid part meaning they are not as good in the mud as real mud tires.) They are the all-season tires of off-road rubber that aim for the middle and are not as robust as a dedicated tire per the anecdotal evidence on punctures.
So, those are the "be or not to be" of the tires world. 😂

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Y'all let me know when you figure out a proper off road tire that isn't loud as all hell.
I've done the dunes, mud, hill climbs and some light rocks with the sas tires - I thought they were fine given how silent they are on the road.

My real complaint is the rock throwing
Yeah, I'm with you here. I'm going to ride them out here on the Virginia trails to see how they do. I do see a lot of good things about the Ridge Grapplers though. But mud with wet leaves tend to give any AT tire trouble.

OP
OP
Jdyount

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I'm going to go to the Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T, but I only live like 1.25 miles from work so I won't trash them on the road with a commute.

Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The front tires were rubbing on the inner fender liner. Actually tore it loose. He said he probably needed to crank the springs down some more

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I'm going to go to the Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T, but I only live like 1.25 miles from work so I won't trash them on the road with a commute.
Trail Grapplers are a great tire. Tough sidewall, low road noise. I air down to ~8-10psi with them and they do really well on east coast trails!

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Seriously considering Interco TRXus MT's as a replacement (once I get my Bronco AND wear out the crap that comes on it). Best tire I've ever run in snow (and on road, snow performance is more important to me than just about anything else). My only concern is that the last time I ran them, they only lasted 35k miles on a Nissan Frontier which is quite a bit lighter than the Bronco.

Sticky AF, not terribly loud and great in the snow. Downside is finding someplace that can get them locally.
Sponsored