Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr “Norby”
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Howdy all,

I finally finished all the stereo upgrades I bought last December (yes, I’m moving at a glacial pace) and am very pleased with the results. I thought I’d tell you all about it and thank you for so many great posts about what has/hasn’t worked. The parts list:
I had no troubles with the PlugNPlayKit harness, despite their not including any instructions. I mounted the Kicker Key on the backside of that metal bracket under the steering wheel- the one you see when folding the dash trim down. The Key and the speakers were pretty smooth sailing. The footwell speakers being the only hassle. The mounting holes in my Polk speakers weren’t aligned with the three holes the factory speakers use. Polk includes a plastic adapter ring to accommodate the three factory screw points, and it wasn’t any kind of issue in terms of fitting flush behind the speaker cover, but if I’d used nuts and bolts to secure the plastic ring to the speaker frame, they’d have scratched the underlying metal, and so I decided to JB Weld them to the speaker frame. Time will tell if that is a good idea, but so far I’m pleased with the fit and nothing rattles or scratches. What CAN’T JB Weld do? :)

On to the subwoofer, I wasn’t wanting to mount it to the back door for a few reasons- I’m going to eventually find wheel and tires that I like, and I expect they’ll weigh more than stock, and I’m not sure adding more weight to that tailgate door is helpful. Also, if I jack-rabbit a start from a light or something, I don’t want my dog or groceries or whatever to slide back into the subwoofer. I was looking for a side mount, and ended up using a MOLLE panel on the drivers side. The woofer fits (just) without interfering with the rear seat. It might be overkill, but nothing rattles, and it’s really solidly in place.

I had one minor hardware problem, and that was with the HS8 woofer that was part of the PlugNPlayKit. For power, I ran the long red line from the kit harness up through the firewall on the drivers side. There is an oblong rubber plug that is easier to see from the engine side, that apparently is used somehow with a manual transmission, and as I’m an automatic, it was doing nothing. Since I’m old and beat up, I grabbed my wall cavity fish tape tool and was going to pierce it from the engine side and pull my red wire forward so I wouldn’t have to contort myself under the dash. That worked surprisingly well, and I terminated the line with a ring terminal to one of those mounts right off the battery positive. For ground, I’d initially made the lazy choice to ground using one of the rear tie down bolts because I was there anyway with the MOLLE panel install. While I was getting 12v okay, I wasn’t confident that this was a good idea long term, so I ended up removing the driver rear panel (without breaking any clips- miraculous!) and used the ground Ford uses behind it. The problem was that the subwoofer LED was always red (not a good sign) and no sound came out.

I reached out to both Kicker and PlugNPlayKits, and only Kicker ever responded. They asked, where does the blue wire go? Huh? The blue wire that doesn’t attach to anything? THAT blue wire? Heh. Yeah. I misunderstood the Kicker documentation and thought the speaker signal was what would tell the sub to turn on/off. No, it needs a 12v switched circuit connected to that blue wire, so I read in another thread here about where I might find a good candidate. That feels like the kind of thing that would have been in my missing instructions. I read a thread from user SPITmadFIRE [https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/tutorial-wiring-accessories-to-interior-fuse-box-with-add-a-fuse-tap.32486/ ] about tapping the window fuse (fuse number 2) for the switching signal, and thought that was a really good choice. This way if I arrive somewhere and turn off the car, it stays live until I open a door. I ended up buying an assortment of taps to get the “Micro 2”, so if any of you are near Tacoma and need one, I have spares I’ll likely never need or use- give me a holler.

With that all sorted, I still only got the red LED. Hmm. On a hunch, I ordered ANOTHER HS8 from Amazon just to give myself a reality check. Got the new one, and whaddya know? Works perfectly. I asked the Kicker people how to handle a return of the bad one, and they said to send it back to Amazon. I’m not sure how that works, but I’ll follow their instruction. That brings me back to PlugNPlayKits.com. I don’t know that I’d recommend buying a hardware bundle from them. The harness is great, but they never responded to my emails for support. I think I’d merely get the harness from them and then go to Amazon or wherever that accepts returns for the hardware. Kicker was responsive and helpful.

How does it sound? Fantastic! There is so much more… “oomph”? Yeah, but that’s not the entirety of it. The factory sound is not just weak, it’s losing detail- things that I know are in the song from other listening experiences are now audible in the Bronco. Soundstaging was never great, but it’s better. Initially I was going to leave the factory footwell speakers, but I’m so glad I didn’t. Those were anemic as hell. “12” is now a reasonably loud sound level, and while I haven’t measured a frequency response, the improvement is immediately obvious. The last little detail is where to mount the bass control knob. I have it loose in a cup holder at the moment, as I think about it and tinker. I don’t think it’ll be a thing I need to adjust often, so I’m thinking an out of the way place is probably the answer. Maybe in the arm rest cubby? I’ve seen others mount this to the dash, but I’m not convinced that real estate suits the occasion.

Oh, and to tie up loose end mentions from the parts list, the reason the capacitors in the speaker plug adapters were not necessary is that the Polk speakers all have their own. And in terms of modding the Mabett enclosures, I like them, but their default “grill” section of molded holes seemed like it was more closed than open. I cut that part out and replaced with tailored conventional perforated metal screens. And Dynamat. And Dacron. :)

IMG_9724.jpeg

IMG_9718.jpeg

IMG_9873.jpeg

70770303649__C233FE78-AF06-4261-9D1A-8437BA3C85CA.fullsizerender.jpeg

IMG_9878.jpeg
Sponsored

Robosurgass

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks great! I also upgraded stereo. Not as handy as you so done at local stereo shop. My sub was mounted on passenger side laying opposite of your's. Just fit.

The techs also found an Amp thin enough to secure underneath the driver's seat.

Alpine 4's and 6.5's installed in proper locations.

Couldn't be happier with the sound quality. Really packs a punch with the type of music I generally listen to. 80's metal.

Sponsored

Robosurgass

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh, forgot to mention, bass control is mounted with double sided tape velcro under the dash where the phone jack is. Drivers side obviously for easy access.

Kevin W

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMB 4dr Sasq Base and an Erup Green 2dr Sasq Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks great! I also upgraded stereo. Not as handy as you so done at local stereo shop. My sub was mounted on passenger side laying opposite of your's. Just fit.

The techs also found an Amp thin enough to secure underneath the driver's seat.

Alpine 4's and 6.5's installed in proper locations.

Couldn't be happier with the sound quality. Really packs a punch with the type of music I generally listen to. 80's metal.
If you don’t mind saying what did your local shop charge? And your all in price for the upgrade?

jayson

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BlackDiamond SAS 4DR HT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh, forgot to mention, bass control is mounted with double sided tape velcro under the dash where the phone jack is. Drivers side obviously for easy access.
This is where I have mine too. Nice & clean.

How much bass are you getting back there from the HS8 Sub?
I have one as well. It's not going to win any bass competitions, but it's perfect for those looking for a well rounded system that can actually hit the lows. I think it's perfect, personally. Im not looking for something obnoxious with bass rattling windows & every panel in the car vibrating... but it still has some good thump to it and finishes up the range that is missing even with an amp and upgraded speakers.

Sponsored

jayson

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BlackDiamond SAS 4DR HT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey Kevin. The parts and install cost me about $2300. Super clean.

Couple pics of bass and control.

Ford Bronco My stereo upgrades -- very pleased with results using PlugNPlaykits, Polk, Kicker 20230609_054419

Ford Bronco My stereo upgrades -- very pleased with results using PlugNPlaykits, Polk, Kicker 20230609_054419
Where did you get the sub, what's the size, and do you have it mounted/secured?

Thumper 2.0

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks great I have been working on my since I have received my bronco. Plug and play kit is awesome with an epicenter and all rockford Fosgate speakers 4.5 two way in dash 6.5 componant speakers in kick panel and tweet in door post up by ear. Made pods to fit in roll cage with 4 6.5 and 4 1” tweeters hooked to a audio control lC 5.1300 then 2 12 p3s in down firing box on a audio control LC 1.1500 it sounds great

0247D029-9D02-4805-A20C-8C0749BB560A.jpeg

40E0F827-FB26-486A-8A0A-90B3606C1EA5.jpeg

4B4652E7-035B-4608-BDE9-F4DBE6ABDFFD.jpeg

065FBE3B-4A31-4B58-95AA-2B95755C6498.jpeg

B0F4D648-957F-4769-8883-B03B9E813C87.jpeg

5975CB60-8C97-468D-A33C-153BA6F4BA93.jpeg

9E5EF649-A415-4750-84A2-43FBAD147493.jpeg

3FE54493-9678-4D1C-9E5E-18A07933A49B.jpeg

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great I have been working on my since I have received my bronco. Plug and play kit is awesome with an epicenter and all rockford Fosgate speakers 4.5 two way in dash 6.5 componant speakers in kick panel and tweet in door post up by ear. Made pods to fit in roll cage with 4 6.5 and 4 1” tweeters hooked to a audio control lC 5.1300 then 2 12 p3s in down firing box on a audio control LC 1.1500 it sounds great

0247D029-9D02-4805-A20C-8C0749BB560A.jpeg

40E0F827-FB26-486A-8A0A-90B3606C1EA5.jpeg

4B4652E7-035B-4608-BDE9-F4DBE6ABDFFD.jpeg

065FBE3B-4A31-4B58-95AA-2B95755C6498.jpeg

B0F4D648-957F-4769-8883-B03B9E813C87.jpeg

5975CB60-8C97-468D-A33C-153BA6F4BA93.jpeg

9E5EF649-A415-4750-84A2-43FBAD147493.jpeg

3FE54493-9678-4D1C-9E5E-18A07933A49B.jpeg
Nice!!

Part of me wants to do something like that but trying to force myself to stick to my original budget. There is other stuff I'd like to buy for the Bronco... and if I dont stop myself I could easily sink a few thousand dollars into it.

Maybe I should stop surfing B6G. Ya'll making it too tempting.

Thumper 2.0

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes but it sounds so good I love to listen to clear music it adds up fast I’m glad i can make and do all the work my self

OP
OP
OldHippy

OldHippy

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr “Norby”
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wow! Those pods you made are amazing! Do you have a vacuum forming machine, or are these 3D printed?
Sponsored