My takeaway (one surprise)

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am wheeling a Samurai, so my judgement off interior room is a bit skewed! :) I am looking forward to all that room!
I had a Samurai with a soft top as a rental car for about 2 weeks when I was on a research project on Maui in 1993... What a wonderful, nimble, simple, reliable, underpowered, buzzy, unrefined and F U N little car that was.
Sponsored

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The interior? Really?

I keep thinking about those videos posted where guys over 6' were talking about how roomy it is. They must be paid Ford employees.
I attended the Portland, OR event yesterday. Adjusted the driver's seat in the manual 4 door to be comfortable, and then went into the back seat behind the driver's seat. Let's put it this way, my 2004 BMW 330i has more back seat room than the 4 door Bronco. At least my knees weren't hitting the seatback, but it was VERY close. I would not want to be back there for a 4 hour road trip.

Still impressed with the vehicle overall. Definitely will NOT be getting the soft top. Just too many points of failure after a couple of years. I keep my cars a long time (case in point, my 2004 BMW) and no way the soft top is lasting even 10 years IMHO.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
At 6’3” I am average height and rather stocky so I am wondering how it feel inside to me, but I would imagine it is larger than my 07 JK.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm 5'8" and broad shouldered. I thought the interior was very roomy and comfortable. Didn't feel cramped in the least. Just my opinion.

Allenm7

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I expected to be bigger too. I think because it looks more imposing than a jeep I was thinking it would bigger but after sitting in one it just about the same size as a jeep. I sat in both a jeep and bronco at Dixie and was surprised to feel no difference. I'm 6'2 and big and was able to get comfortable in a bronco so it hasn't been a deal breaker but was hoping for more room in both front and back.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Farther back on 2DR. The 2 Door back seats are probably narrower to accommodate shock towers and tires and can only hold 2people in back. Unlike 3 in back on 4DR. Which it looks like is in front of everything to get wided 3seater. I would of rather have gone back a little to be comfortable with only 2 on the 4DR. I've Yet to sit in the back of 2DR. Back seat may loose hight. A 3seater is a roomy 2 seater. Our Highlander seats 7 which means 5 comfortably for trips. I just don't see 3-4 of us going on long vacations in it when we get it. Maybe 3 of us with rotation.
The body-on-frame Bronco was built as a competitor to the Wrangler, not the mid-size unibody SUV market.

What you want is the new 2022 Ford Explorer Timberline 4x4, it is a competitor to the Highlander.

Spy photos show 2022 Ford Explorer Timberline completely undisguised

2022 Ford Explorer to Add Off-Road Package

rline-spied-1608735969.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.753xh;0,0.jpg

The red tow hooks on the Timberline are a dead give away to it's off-road capabilities, just like the Jeep Grand Cherokee. ;)
Ford_Explorer_Timberline_001.jpg

68192681ab-68192680ab-20-1.jpg

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What are we supposed be doing, making mock ups of the interior in our garage? Measurements only go so far. So many variables in a vehicle that gives it its feel. Just knowing dimensions doesn't give you a sense of it.
I took fords published interior dimensions for F/R hip/shoulder/legroom (and cargo vol) and compared them side by side to other SUV interior dimensions....including my own vehicle it’s replacing. Seems like the most rationale thing to do when ordering a vehicle that we weren’t sure we would see in person prior to taking delivery.

Then took the two comparables that made the most sense (the ranger and wrangler) plus my own suv, and sat in them at the dealer...Looked at my numbers and said okay, I pick up 2” here or lose 1” there. Am I good with this?

Because I feel like most people who gut checked ford numbers against other SUVs interior dimensions quickly realized many months ago that the interior width, cargo etc is really no different than a borderline compact/midsize suv such as the CRV and rav4....or the ranger width plus 2” more legroom....The only difference is the added headroom in the bronco.

And that’s precisely why those that did run the numbers have been saying on this forum for awhile that a lot of people may be surprised when they finally see it in person...I set my expectations to the above comparables and thats what it felt like in person.

Last edited:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I sat in 2 different 4 door Broncos today. I'm 6'4 and a bit broader in the beam than I care to admit. The Broncos were both soft tops w top partway retracted. My 2 door Broncos will both have hard tops. Leg room, width, reach to wheel and pedals, seat adjustment was all fine. My concern is that of headroom - I was staring at the visor and top of windshield. 2 door and hard top may be different. If it is a problem I will figure out how to sink the seat about 2 inches.
Did you check to make sure the seat was in its lowest position? When I went to the East Coast dealer event in Virginia, I noticed the driver's seat was in the highest position every time I got in one of the two Broncos on hand. It happened multiple times within the hour I spent looking at the two vehicles. I have a long torso and sit high in the seat. Every car I own, the seat is at the lowest position. In the Bronco, the seat at the highest position put me crammed up against the ceiling, when I lowered it to the lowest setting, it was good.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My only surprise takeaway was the view out the front over the hood. I'm not sure who else did it, but at the event I attended the hoods were propped open. I asked to close the hood on the badlands and when the hood is in the closed position, where I was comfortable with the headroom via the seat height adjustment, the hood is broad and long and just drops off. There is zero slope to the hood. It will take getting used to for me at least, and I have a Hummer H3T.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yep, we went up and saw the ones in Charleston, both 4 doors and wife's first comment was about how narrow/tight they were. Both of us are average height and weight and we drove the FJ up there which definately has more cabin room.

It's not a deal breaker as it'll be my car and used as a DD for a short commute but wish we'd just drove to Tennessee and saw/rode along in a 2 door so I could set expectations and yes, I've driven a Jeep.

Sponsored

Toecutter

Badlands
First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 f150 fx4, 2016 jeep willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i sat in the ones in chicago last weekend and with an 06 f150 being my daily driver obviously the interior feels smaller but it feels right for me not undersized, ive been driving my wifes jeep a lot lately and the bronco feels the same size but much more comfortable, now i feel like my truck has almost too much room

Last edited:

rmanecke

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83CJ / 87YJ Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just hope I don't have to open the door to make room for me knee so that I can operate the clutch... like on my CJ - LOL.

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I drive around in 2 seater Porsche sports cars. This thing is going to feel like an 18 wheeler to me. I think it is all based on your perception.
Coming from a Fiat 500, all these comments about it feeling small on the inside have me feeling better. I don't want to feel like I'm sitting in a cavern when driving this thing. I like having everything nice and in reach.

gazrb

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Sentra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The interior? Really?

I keep thinking about those videos posted where guys over 6' were talking about how roomy it is. They must be paid Ford employees.
Yeah cause Ford really needs to pay people to drive demand for the bronco lol
Sponsored